Help With Burgundy Please!!!!!

Decorating By CarolAnn Updated 25 Sep 2008 , 8:18pm by CarolAnn

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 5

I am making the 40th anniversary cake for the agency I worked for for 21 years, until they laid me off. They want the sides to match the burgundy on their logo. I need help with this color. I have an unopened bottle of AmeriColor's burgundy gel color. I don't have time to order anything different. Is this going to get me a good burgundy? Will it take half or all the bottle?? I bought AmeriColors because I've heard so much about the great colors you get and don't have to use as much as with other brands.

I really need help on this one. I know nothing about mixing colors to get other colors and I have no color wheel. I have this bottle of burgundy, and a Wal Mart 12 miles away with some Wilton stuff. HELP HELP!!!!!!!!

I have to deliver this of Friday before I head down to Branson.

à Please!!!!!!!

4 replies
snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 3:37pm
post #2 of 5

I used this same bottle and, yes, it's going to take most of the bottle to make a good burgundy. Hopefully you don't need alot (is it buttercream or fondant you are coloring?) You may be able to start with a red and add burgundy if you need a lot. Another way I've done this in the past is to use red and add a little black.

As an FYI, here is a color mixing chart. They don't have the proportions to make burgundy, but you can use it in the future for other colors:

http://www.candylandcrafts.com/colorchart.htm

Good luck!

CarolAnn Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 4:13pm
post #3 of 5

Hi snowshoe1, Okay after looking at that color chart (and thank you very much for that link?) I realize it's maroon that I want. Looks like I'll need maroon and a small part burgundy. Hope my Wal Mart has maroon today.

Thank you!!

CarolAnn Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 3:08am
post #4 of 5

Nope, it's burgundy I need. I'm already sick of this stinking cake. LOL Today I got nowhere. Had to bake smaller cakes (8 inchers) because the logo can only be printed so big and there'd be an inch of the top exposed all around, and I don't want a band of white showing around the logo. I'll freeze the two 10 inchers I baked this morning and use them later. I had to remake my bc because it went weird on me. I used sugarshacks recipe but maybe didn't let the creamer solution cool enough. It seems to have melted the Crisco. Only explaination I can think of. Don't know if it can be remixed after it's been refrigerated. Hope so cause that's 4# of pow sugar down the tubes if it can't be slavaged. I'm going to go take a shower and hit the hay. And try not to cry. It's been a crappy day.

CarolAnn Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 8:18pm
post #5 of 5

Well I got the logo printed frosting sheet made yesterday at our local Country Mart bakery. While I was there I asked the lady's advice on matching the color I need for the sides. She said well let's see, and proceeded to plop some bc into a small tub and add colors to it. After a while she had mixed up about a cup of nicely matched bc. I asked if she ever does customed colored bc. Long story short she called to ask the store manager who said "no, we don't want to get THAT started..." She wasn't happy about it because she wanted to help me out but wasn't surprised at the response. She put some of the colored bc in a zip bag with the formula she used on it so I could use it to match it up today. I darked considerably while the friend I was with did her shopping. A couple hours it had darkened to the exact color I needed. Too bad the missed out on selling me some bc and making this decorator very happy. Instead I walked away with a tension headache. The lady told me she'd heard that the CM in another neighboring town (about 10 mi the other direction) will sell their bc by the bucket. Nice of her to tell me that. I wouldn't buy a bucket of it but nice anyway.

Even though I DO NOT like the taste of their bc I was, in this case, willing to use it on the sides of this single cake for my former employer, the one who laid me off after 21 years, asked me to come back then laid me off again 4 yrs later. ( I know, I should have learned.....) I can only hope his teeth are super sensitive and will pick up and hold food coloring for a prolonged period when he eats this headache of a cake. Maybe he'll even drop a plop of it on his shirt. Did I just say that?? UH UH!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%