Is There A Trick With Fantasy Flowers?

Decorating By tanyascakes Updated 23 Sep 2008 , 4:32pm by shadowgypsie

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 12:39pm
post #1 of 6

Hi, everyone. I was trying to make the fantasy flower following my gumpaste/fondant class book. But itseems to be not as easy as it looks. Is there some little trick to making it look more realistic? Maybe that is why it is called a fantasy flower, right? I went through each step slowly making sure I didn't miss a thing-even reread the instructions a gagillion times before I started. We will be doing them in class this week, but the instructor told us to try them out before hand anyway. Maybe it is okay and I am being paranoid. I am really just hoping that someone else on here has tried them and found anything that may be of any help. Thanks in advance! You all are always so helpful and I appreciate every tip and bit of encouragement that you all give!!! I will try to get a pick up later of what I have going on, my daughter has the dig cam with her!!! Thanks again for any help!

5 replies
shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 6

I am an instructor and I don't like the way it turns out.
I purchased some empty plastic 2-piece ornament balls in several sizes. I make the large flower in a large size ball and then the center flower in a smaller ball. Works wonderfully.

tanyascakes Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks for the tip, shadowgypsie! I hadn't even considered that. I uploaded a pic of one of the ones I made. Can you maybe check it out to see if it is even close to what it is supposed to look like? Thanks so much for your help!

shadowgypsie Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 3:25am
post #4 of 6

Tanyascakes,

Your fantasy flower looks very good. The flower should have a more rounded look that is why I started using those balls. I just couldn't get it with the foil baking cups.I've only had a few students to get that flower to really look like a flower. You've got the frilled edges just the way I like to see my students do them. Keep up the good work, and also I liked the rest of your pictures as well, You have real talent. I'm still learning to get my gum paste figures to turn out the way I want them to.

tanyascakes Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 1:46pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you so much for the compliments!! It feels great to have someone tell me that I am good at something! We did do some others at class last night using a different size tin and I liked those better than my first attempt. I will post them later. But I am really hoping to turn this hoping into something lucrative, even if just for a little while. I am sure I will be making cakes even as an old lady-I love it so much!!! Your advice is such a salve to my spirit!! Thanks again.

shadowgypsie Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 4:32pm
post #6 of 6

Tanyacakes your welcome.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%