Easy Way To Torte A Half Sheet Cake?

Decorating By forthwife Updated 23 Sep 2008 , 8:12am by margaretb

forthwife Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 4:04am
post #1 of 11

Hello All:

I'm making a half sheet cake for a friend's baby shower. Never done one before, how does one torte a cake that size? Knife, wire, sword? icon_wink.gif Any and all suggestions appreciated. Also, should I use a heating core or a flower nail to help baking? Thanks!!!

10 replies
frankandcathy Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 4:16am
post #2 of 11

I don't torte my sheet cakes. But if I was going to, I'd use my large torting blade and slide a board under the top piece to remove it before filling. Dust the board with powdered sugar first to try and keep the cake from sticking so you can slide it back off again. Or use a piece of waxed paper taped to the board when you slide it on. If the cake sticks to the board, you'll have a hard time getting it off!

frankandcathy Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 4:17am
post #3 of 11

Oh, I never use flower nails or cores for any size cakes.

rezzygirl Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 4:22am
post #4 of 11

Here's a video for torting a sheetcake:

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/videos/filling_a_sheet_cake.aspx

HTH!

keyshia Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 4:35am
post #5 of 11

I just did this for the first time the other day. I was pretty nervous, but I just read a thread about torting (I remember it had a catchy title like TTT something terrified to torte). Anyway one posted pointed out that if the cake breaks, you can always use icing to put it back together..after reading that I was like duh! icon_smile.gif I used the wilton large levler (around $21 at michaels...but you can use their...or another store's 40% off coupon) and I didn't have any problems with it. I then slid the top part on a cake board, filled and slid the top back on. it lined up and everything! icon_smile.gif Good luck...it's not as scary once you do it once. icon_smile.gif

Oh...I always use a flower nail when making bigger cakes. I don't use it for 9x13, but I do use it for the 11x15 and for rounds that are 10 or bigger. I just make sure to spray it really good with pam before I put it in the pan...

margaretb Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 5:04am
post #6 of 11

I just started using a homemade tinfoil heating core in my 12 by 18 pan, and I love it. I use two of them. I also got the bake even strips, and between those and the tinfoil, I can now put in twice as much batter to bake a cake that is pretty much the full size of the pan. I used to have to make the cake really thin so that the whole thing would be done baking at the same time (ie not have the edges burn and the middle raw). However, if you need it torted, another option is to just make two thinner cakes and layer them over a filling. That equals torting, right? Of course, it is still hard to get the second one right on top of the first one (I just left it on the rack, lined up one edge and then flipped it on hoping for the best!). I will try waxed paper and a a cookie sheet next time, because the one time I tried sliding it off a cookie sheet is stuck to the cookie sheet and I had to flip it anyway.

forthwife Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 1:32pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretb

I just started using a homemade tinfoil heating core in my 12 by 18 pan, and I love it. I use two of them. I also got the bake even strips, and between those and the tinfoil, I can now put in twice as much batter to bake a cake that is pretty much the full size of the pan. I used to have to make the cake really thin so that the whole thing would be done baking at the same time (ie not have the edges burn and the middle raw). However, if you need it torted, another option is to just make two thinner cakes and layer them over a filling. That equals torting, right? Of course, it is still hard to get the second one right on top of the first one (I just left it on the rack, lined up one edge and then flipped it on hoping for the best!). I will try waxed paper and a a cookie sheet next time, because the one time I tried sliding it off a cookie sheet is stuck to the cookie sheet and I had to flip it anyway.

How did you make your homemade heating core? What does it look like?

Deb_ Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 1:52pm
post #8 of 11

One thing I've found helpful with torting sheetcakes is I freeze the layers for about 1hr, just to firm them up not to rock hard frozen.
This helps keep the layer from breaking apart.

I than take 2 flat cookie sheets (the cookie sheets without sides)and I go in from each side of the top torted layer, meet in the middle and lift the layer off. Than after you fill, just lift the sheets over the bottom layer and slide one cookie sheet out at a time, lining the layers up, leaving the top layer behind. (dust the sheets first with conf. sug and work fast so the layers don't thaw)

I have an Agbay to torte, but before I got it I used the large Wilton leveller.

HTH

margaretb Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 6:30pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthwife

How did you make your homemade heating core? What does it look like?

It's just a strip of tinfoil. I read it somewhere here on CC. I tear a piece of tinfoil off the roll about the width of my hand. Then I just fold it over until it is a strip about 1 inch wide. I cut that in half (my roll is about 12 inches wide, so I end up with 2 approx 6 inch strips). I fold it in half (so it is now about 1" by 3"). Then the two loose ends I fold back to make little feet -- maybe half an inch. So it looks like this, sort of: _/\\_ (obviously in different proportions and I use it with the centre pushed together). Then I set it on my pan and spray it with my cake release stuff.

I started using my bake even strips (and I learned here I could have just used wet towel strips) and the tinfoil at the same time, so I can't say for sure that one or the other is making the biggest difference, but I sure like how they work together.

I feel so important getting asked how I do something, even if it's not my own brilliant idea.

ccarroca Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 1:28am
post #10 of 11

Having a hard time visualizing that. Can you post a picture - that sounds cool!

margaretb Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 8:12am
post #11 of 11

I'll try to remember to post a picture, but I'm really slow about photo stuff.

Here is the thread where I first read about heating cores. I got the idea from the 4th post, but I see now that I didn't even do it the way she describes.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-593821-heating.html+core

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%