How Do I Make A Dummy Cake To Use Over And Over Again?

Decorating By jjandhope Updated 22 Sep 2008 , 12:33pm by indydebi

jjandhope  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjandhope Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 3:59am
post #1 of 9

I want to make a dummy cake for practicing icing and fondant. I know that I can use styrofoam, but I saw somewhere that someone had one (maybe covered in plastic?) that they used over and over.

8 replies
 lindambc  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 4:08am
post #2 of 9

i haven't tried it uyet, but I have read alot that CCers cover the dummy in plastic wrap first. If you are practicing with fondant it put a thin layer of shortening or icing to help it stick. Hope that helps!

sari66  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 4:15am
post #3 of 9

I cover mine in the press n seal wrap that works really well. I have done them without and had no problems either just sprinkle them with water to help them fondant stick.

hth

jjandhope Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 4:50am
post #4 of 9

If I buttercream a styrofoam dummy can I wash it off effectively and use it again?

HipnotiqGlamour  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HipnotiqGlamour Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 5:16am
post #5 of 9

Yes I would love to know to about the BC....I havent worked with dummy tiers but would love to.

Charmaine49  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 5:17am
post #6 of 9

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-603726.html

Here is a link where they discuss using dummy cakes in the forum

jjandhope Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 5:39am
post #7 of 9

Thanks charmaine, thats just what I needed. SO I guess theres no need to really cover it.

Does anyone know if I can glue the styrofoam together to make a thicker layer, and can I use a dummy to make a topsy turvy?

Charmaine49  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 7:43am
post #8 of 9

Yes, you can glue them together.......I am wanting to make a cupcake tower and saw a tutorial where they glue dummy's together. As far as the topsy turvey cake goes, I am sure you will be able to do it with dummy's.

indydebi  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 12:33pm
post #9 of 9

you don't have to glue them together either. I have 10-12 dummies in my shop .... they travel to bridal shows and demonstration speaking engagements. I just use the icing to 'glue' the tiers together. I can pick them up by the top tier and the bottom 2 tiers come right along with it! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%