Quick Question..

Decorating By kate_c Updated 22 Sep 2008 , 6:54pm by kate_c

kate_c Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 3:36am
post #1 of 5

I was wondering what powdered sugar is? I haven't been to many cake decorating shops, but I haven't seen Domino or any other brand I have seen on this forum (I'm an Aussie).

Does anyone know what the equivalent is here to Domino etc?

Ta icon_smile.gif

4 replies
frankandcathy Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 4:13am
post #2 of 5

Powdered sugar is simply regular sugar that has been pulverized into a fine powder instead of granules. It's also called "Confectioner's sugar" here in the U.S. All grocery stores here carry it in the baking aisle. It's not a specialty item. You can make your own using a coffee grinder.

kakeladi Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 5:01pm
post #3 of 5

It is hard to make your own. You really can't get it as powdery as neededicon_sad.gif
It is mixed w/cornstarch (usually 3%) so it doesn't lump together.
To make fondant you must have an equivilant but I don't know what it would be called.

cakesbymindysue Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 5:27pm
post #4 of 5

It can also be called icing sugar or I've even heard it called 10x sugar. It should be in any market or grocers right along with your granulated sugar.

kate_c Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 6:54pm
post #5 of 5

ahhhhhh, now icing sugar IS something I have heard of!!! Thankyou! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%