I Have A Request For Almond Cake And Almond Icing??

Decorating By grossoutqueen Updated 22 Sep 2008 , 8:47pm by kakeladi

grossoutqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grossoutqueen Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 2:43am
post #1 of 6

I am making my first wedding cake the request is for almond cake, which I am not familar with and a almond flavored icing with lemon filling.

This was the request but I was told I could do a basic butter cake instead of the almond if I wanted to. Has anyone done an almond cake that they can recommend. I seared CC and found a recipe for a boxed white cake that you add the almond extract to. Is this any good?

And one final question... Do you think lemon filling AND lemon icing might be overkill? I am blessed in that I was told the only definate was the lemon filling and I could change the rest if I wanted to. I know lemon is a strong taste and I don't want to have it over power the cake...

5 replies
DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 4:13am
post #2 of 6

I suspect the recipe you're speaking of is the White Almond Sour Cream recipe. I would recommend it. I tried it for the first time last weekend, in cupcakes, and have gotten rave reviews. It really is quite good.

As for icing, if you're using buttercream, why not just replace the vanilla with almond extract? That'll give it a nice almond flavor and is usually pretty yummy.

I'd keep the lemon to the filling. Lemon really CAN be overwhelming.

Just my thoughts, but of course, I'm just an amateur!

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 4:17am
post #3 of 6

Oops... silly computer!

KellJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellJ Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 4:36am
post #4 of 6

I would do the White Almond Sour Cream cake with Almond buttercream and Lemon filling. You don't want to do too much lemon. Make sure you use a good Almond Emulsion in your cake and if you use it in your frosting make sure you use a little less then you would the extract.

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 5:09am
post #5 of 6

I just started making the WASC cake as well, and it really is great. However, when I was testing recipes, I found a simple white cake recipe made from scratch, and I just added almond extract to that. It also tasted really good, so that is also an option. I just made a bunch of cakes and sent them with DH to work and told him he just had to ask people which ones they liked better!

BTW, the first time I used the WASC, I had extra batter so I added chopped up maraschino cherries and made cupcakes and they were really good too.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 8:47pm
post #6 of 6

Yes, definately use my *original* WASC recipeicon_smile.gif
It definately is tried & true - perfect for wedding cakes. The recipe does make a larger amount of batter - like using 1 1/2 boxes of mix just perfect for a 12" round and many other size pans.
For the icing I would just add about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon almond extract to you usual b'cream.
The lemon fill goes well w/this cake but I would leave out any extra lemon extract.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%