Wire Cake Topper......help

Decorating By turtlemom_9500 Updated 22 Sep 2008 , 6:38pm by dellboi2u

turtlemom_9500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turtlemom_9500 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 1:49am
post #1 of 5

Im wanting to make a cake topper with the wire?? Im not sure what type of wire to use or how to assemble.... Im wanting to make it with color flow butterflies.... COULD ANYONE PLEASE HELP....
TIA.....

Tracy

4 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 2:14am
post #2 of 5

Just floral wire - available at any craft store. I get the wrapped kind.

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 8:47am
post #3 of 5

if you are wanting the look of metal i use two different ways, option 1 is use normal wire but wrap the parts entering or touching the cake in floral tape, or option 2 i use is using the covered floral wire as leahs suested but i paint the area you want to look like metal with silver lustre or non toxic silver decorating powder (this is only on parts that don't touch the cake also) make sure your supports a good too or it could fall over - i always wrap the wire support around a skewer that i insert inside the cake to give a stronger support

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 5

I put a small straw in the top and stick the wires in it. They stay put and no wire touching cake. Also fill the straw with frosting to hide everything. Hope this makes since.

dellboi2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellboi2u Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 6:38pm
post #5 of 5

I use the wire in the hardware dept. at Wal-Mart. It is silver and it is the kind of wire used to hang pictures. You get a ton of wire for only about $3.00. It is thick enough to bend and curl and hold my fondant pieces, but not so thick that it is hard to work with... I love it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%