Wanted: A Healthy (Ish) Buttercream Icing

Baking By katiedug Updated 5 Oct 2008 , 12:06pm by Sweet_Guys

katiedug Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 1:46am
post #1 of 4

I love buttercream icing, but let's face it... it's just not good for you. can anyone help me out with a healthy alternative that is just as effective and good. Ideas anyone?

3 replies
indydebi Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 2:12am
post #2 of 4

icon_lol.gif It's made of sugar .... and butter .... and fat. There are some foods that are just not designed to be healthy. icon_lol.gif

ceshell Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 6:19am
post #3 of 4

LOL that is so true. Although when I am doing kid's cupcakes I prefer to do a cream cheese icing, I figure, at least there is some nutritional value to cream cheese, right?

Calcium, protein? Yes?

Is that crickets I hear???

Seriously though, or try a meringue buttercream. Although the high butter content surely isn't healthy, some of its volume comes from egg whites, and it also uses substantially less sugar than a powdered-sugar buttercream. Or there's chocolate ganache, I mean, think of all of the heart benefits from using chocolate, esp. if you use bittersweet chocolate, which means lower sugar content too. That stuff cancels out the cream, right?

Right?? icon_wink.gif

Sweet_Guys Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 12:06pm
post #4 of 4

We use a butter-only creation. Our customers prefer the taste of real butter over the buttercream recipes advocating shortening.

Quote by @%username% on %date%