Nfsc W/satin Ice?

Baking By SugarLover2 Updated 7 Oct 2008 , 12:10am by Sweet_Guys

SugarLover2 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 1:24am
post #1 of 12

I have an order (my second) for NFSC cookies cut into pinecone shape and with Fondant on. I will be using Satin Ice (unless another suggestion sounds better lol). I have 2 questions: 1. I will be decorating these with royal icing, but am not sure what you all use to "glue" the fondant onto the cookie. Do you just smooth on some buttercream? Or royal icing? 2. How in the world do I get the fondant brown enough for a pinecone? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I will be making 200 of these for a wedding.

She also ordered 200 chocolate chip and 200 ginger snaps. I will be wrapping these up for the guests, so if anyone has any helpful hints for this too I sure would love to hear it. I have to find some nice bags that will be large enough to fit all 3 into-or maybe one bag for each and then tie the 3 together? I'm not sure I just want them to look pretty, taste good and have a nice presentation. Thanks all-your the best!

11 replies
kdbobo Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 2:05am
post #2 of 12

As far as putting the Satin Ice on the cookie, I roll out the fondant and cut out shapes with the same cutters while the cookies bake. Then when they come out, I just slap the fondant shapes on the hot cookies. This has worked great for me!

For the brown--why not get the chocolate fondant?

SugarLover2 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 12:12pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks for those hints. I was thinking that I might bake and then freeze the cookies. I have to do 200 of the decorated ones and 400 more undecorated. I would be hesitant to freeze them after I put the fondant on though. I will look into the choco fondant. Great idea!

kdbobo Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 1:23am
post #4 of 12

Ah. I've heard of people using corn syrup or warm strained jam to "glue" fondant on, but haven't tried it myself...a bit of royal icing might work, too?

indydebi Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 1:29am
post #5 of 12

I tried what kdbobo said .... it works great and it's really fast!!!

bobwonderbuns Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 1:37am
post #6 of 12

I always use strained apricot or raspberry preserves. That way you add additional flavor to the cookie and you don't have to rush to put the fondant on a hot cookie. Works like a charm! icon_biggrin.gif

PinkZiab Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 1:41am
post #7 of 12

I use a very thin smearing of buttercream.

newmansmom2004 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 1:41am
post #8 of 12

I would skip the Satin Ice and use the chocolate Choco-Pan instead. It tastes like chocolate and will work well for your cookies, and it's already brown so you won't have to color it brown.

I've heard some people use apricot jam or preserves or a light brushing of corn syrup to get the fondant to stick to the cookies. Then decorate with your royal icing.

icer101 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 2:05am
post #9 of 12

go ahead and bake your cookies.... freeze them..... then use lite corn syrup.... jams.... etc.... to adhere your fondant on.... i have froze cookies with m/m fondant.... they didn,t mess up at all.... after taking them out of the freezer... i let them sit a while.... then one stroke painted flowers on them... did great... hth

SugarLover2 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 1:07pm
post #10 of 12

Thank you for all the tips here. I have a fear of Choco-Pan since my last disaster with it. I tried to put it onto a cake on a hot day. Won't be trying that again-lol. Maybe it will be easier on the cookies though. I'll have to price it out.

momsandraven Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:28am
post #11 of 12

I have a small spray bottle (kind of like a Windex spray bottle, but it's never had anything but water in it.) When I'm ready to apply the fondant to my sugar cookies, I just give them a fine mist of water (just don't get the overspray on your fondant icon_sad.gif )and then gently press the fondant on. Works great! icon_smile.gif

Sweet_Guys Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 12:10am
post #12 of 12

We use Fondarific for our fondant. After we used imprint mats on the fondant, we used the same cookie cutters to cut the fondant. Then we used piping gel to "glue" the fondant to the cookies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%