Please Explain

Decorating By babyhugs Updated 22 Sep 2008 , 11:26am by bashini

babyhugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyhugs Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 1:12am
post #1 of 4

Can someone please tell me why some use gumpaste and others choose fondant? I'm finally comfortable with using fondant (I even did some roses icon_smile.gif). I want to try a bow next and am wondering if I can use fondant or do I need to try gumpaste? Thanks for helping with my learning process!

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 1:16am
post #2 of 4

gp dries harder and faster. It can be rolled *much* thinner for more realistic flowers.
Yes, you can make a bow from fondant. I've made manyicon_smile.gif

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 8:59am
post #3 of 4

i use gumpaste for anything delicate or that needs to be able to support itself off the cake ie all dainty flowers: gumpaste ribbon roses that are small and supported by the cake:fondant, bows and ribbons sitting on top of the cake that also have a while to let dry: fondant, bows and ribbons that come of the sides of the cake or have to hld there own: gumpaste.
in short if you want it to be strong use gumpaste if it doesn't matter if its very fragile use fondant if you are unsure use gumpaste or you could be re doing it at a very inconvenient time (like right before delivery!! loL!!)

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 11:26am
post #4 of 4

Hi, I use fondant to cover the cakes and to do cutout flowers. The green cake that I did in my photos, I did the flowers border from fondant.

If I want to make roses, ribbons and bows, I use gumpaste. You can use gumpaste alone or 50/50 gumpaste and fondant. It gives you time to play with and get the final result you want. And when it dries, it dries really hard. I think fondant is too soft for me. But you can have a go with both of them and see what is best for you. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%