Hdi: Photograph Glittery Cake?

Decorating By Melvira Updated 22 Sep 2008 , 5:35pm by Melvira

Melvira Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 16

I made (what I think is) a really neat cake for my b-day and I took some pictures of it that simply did not turn out. I am super bummed out. I want to take some good pix, but can't figure out that best way to do it. The problem is that the cake has ribbon on it that has a holographic look to it, and disco/glitter dust, and they do not photograph well with a regular pic. The flash kind of washes it out. Does anyone have any idea how to photograph glittery stuff and catch that sparkle? Please help!!

15 replies
shadowgypsie Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 1:01am
post #2 of 16

Don't use a flash. I used a digital camera when I take pictures of glittery cakes, I set it so the flash won't work.

kakeladi Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 1:09am
post #3 of 16

Yah, if at all possible put it near bright light and don't use the flash.
My digital camera *always* flashes; don't have a clue if/how to turn it off.

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 1:23am
post #4 of 16

I was having the same problem, even with cakes that had a lot of white. Using the flash caused it to be overexposed. Not using a flash created a beige effect overall. Then I discovered www.picknik.com and their color correction tool.

Now I can take a picture without a flash (turn on as many lights in the room as possible). Then upload the picture to picnik.com. Click on the Color tab and then click on the Neutral Picker button. Your cursor turns into an eye dropper. Click the eye dropper on something in the picture that is supposed to be white or gray and magically the picture comes to life! I usually follow that by clicking on the Exposure tab and lightening up the brightness and contrast equally until it's perfect.

Try it. You'll be hooked.

Oh, and taking pictures outside when it's overcast but very bright also works, well.

Melvira Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 1:49am
post #5 of 16

Thanks for your input you guys!! I tried no flash with a spot lamp, lights on and lights off, I tried several different things that didn't do very well, but I think tomorrow I will try taking the cake outside in the daylight and see if I can something decent there!! This pic was the best I could get, and it just doesn't do it any justice. The disco/glitter dust is so awesome with the holographic trim on the ribbon and such... it's just fun and I wish I could capture how pretty it is on film! It looks so much better in person! The feathers on the ribbon are actually glittery too. It's really pretty ribbon, which is what inspired me to do this cake. Anyway, I just need to hire a professional photographer I guess. icon_rolleyes.gif

deliciously_decadent Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 8:54am
post #6 of 16

all you need to do is take a pic with no flash and not to much light as all the light you are trying to put on the cake is reflecting back of the ribbon - even natural sunlight will do this. take a pic with limited light then run the pic through a photo shop program to clean it up. you can then add flash, brightness, color intensity etc without the problem if the ribbon reflecting the light

MikeRowesHunny Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 9:20am
post #7 of 16

Happy belated birthday from a fellow Sept 20th birthday girl! My birthday cake also had disco sparkles on it, and I did use a flash.

I find the sparkles show up better that way (and as a disco sparkle obsessive, I've had lots of practice photographing it!). I don't think you ever get the wonderful effect of that stuff on a photo though - it's always so much more fabulous in real life!

newnancy Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 10:24am
post #8 of 16

Happy Belated Birthday Melvira & Bonjovibabe!!!
I don't know about taking pictures of these cakes but I do know they are amazing. Fantastic!

vickymacd Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 10:26am
post #9 of 16

both cakes are beautiful and Happy Birthday to you both!

Mel, DIG INTO THAT CAKE!!!! You will remember it in your head.

But, yes, the trick is NO flash, NO bright lights, just enough to highlight the cake. Outside may play tricks on the cake as well though since it's much different lighting.
Try a backdrop for the cake too.

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 12:31pm
post #10 of 16

Now that I can actually SEE the cake, I agree that it wouldn't photograph well outside. And, by the way, it is GORGEOUS!

I agree that you should photograph it with the best lights possible and clean up digitally using Photoshop, Picnik.com, etc.

Great job!

Melvira Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 1:06pm
post #11 of 16

Happy birthday to you too Bonjovibabe!! Your cake was awesome as well! Love it!

I did use a black backdrop behind mine, it's what I always use, just a black piece of cloth. I will have to play around with it today while the boys are sleeping and see what I can do.

VickyMacD, it's a dummy so I can keep it around a while! Hehehe. But I still have some leftovers cupcakes for breakfast! thumbs_up.gif

Meemawfish Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 3:09pm
post #12 of 16

Beautiful cakes ladies and happy birthday. icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 4:42pm
post #13 of 16

....Melvira That is **beautiful!*
I'm not sure how much of that is ribbon - just the narrow band at the top & bottom? Or is the whole side ribbon dusted?

Melvira Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 5:07pm
post #14 of 16
Originally Posted by kakeladi

....Melvira That is **beautiful!*
I'm not sure how much of that is ribbon - just the narrow band at the top & bottom? Or is the whole side ribbon dusted?

Thank you!! The whole part with peacock feathers on it is ribbon. It is the most beautiful ribbon! I found it in the Xmas ribbon of all places!? I didn't know peacocks were big Xmas birds! Hahaha! But the feathers are covered in glitter, it's so neat looking in person! And the dust, well, you know, that sparkles like a diamond! That's the part I wish I could capture... the diamond-like sparkle. I guess it's the nature of cameras to not get that?? Because while I am looking at it, it's sparkling, but when the camera clicks, the picture is not sparkly. I just tried it outside and it wasn't any better. So frustrating. And I can't get that link to work... www.picknik.com is either not the right address, or something. It just takes me to a search window. icon_cry.gif

cupcakemkr Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 5:23pm
post #15 of 16

the correct link is http://www.picnik.com/

Mel - that is one very beautiful cake - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
you have the same birthday as my favoritist sister icon_smile.gif
Good luck with your pictures!

Melvira Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 5:35pm
post #16 of 16

Ah! Thank you! I want to try it out and see if it helps! I'm not sure if it can do anything that I can't do with MX fireworks or one of those programs, but I am more than happy to find out!!

Favorite sisters are awesome, aren't they?

Quote by @%username% on %date%