I Have No Idea 1234 Cake??

Decorating By Kahuna Updated 22 Sep 2008 , 2:08pm by Kahuna

Kahuna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahuna Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 10:26pm
post #1 of 11

AHHH I just got back from a tasting where I thought they wanted the filling to be rasins and walnuts so I showed up with white and chocolate cake with a few different filling choices and they looked at me like I had two heads. Apparently what they want is a 1234 cake that has rasins and walnuts and maybe brandy in it. It's traditional to them, like an idiot I din't ask where they are from. Anyone ever heard of this?? any ideas. I've got to figure something out by tomorrow!! Thanks.

Sue

P.S. They wouldn't even try my little cakes icon_cry.gif

10 replies
BabyBear3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyBear3 Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 10:32pm
post #2 of 11

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/1234cake.htm

I found this when I searched it. It says nothing about raisins and walnuts but maybe you can add them??

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 10:43pm
post #3 of 11
Kahuna Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 11:43pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks for the help guys, do you think I can toss in the rasins and walnuts? The Guy was specific about if you dont use the right recipe the rasins/nuts sink to the bottom instead of being throughout the cake. They don't want any filling and he said it was like a muffin. We are having a little difficulity because they are both English as a second language, though I'm pretty good with accents.

I do not want to come off as a cultural bafoon, but when I spoke to the lady on the phone, I thought she was Middle Eastern, they were watching an arabic TV station at the house, but she was blonde with blue eyes. I'm from a really backwoods town so bear with me, they could be Persian who knows. Anyway, they stressed that this is a traditional cake for them (used in wedding and things like that) but they can't find anyone here who knows what they mean. It's for a Baptism and I would really love to be able to give them what they are looking for. Sorry for rambling, I've slugged back a few drinks after they wouldn't taste my samples, that was a first for me I feel like I got slapped in the face. Maybe I need to be! icon_biggrin.gif

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 12:21am
post #5 of 11

GIRL!!! I have looked and looked and looked on the internet to try to find this cake for you!! I cannot find anything! I'm not giving up - but I wanted to let you know the next time you have extra cake, i will gladly taste it for you!

I'm sorry that you had a bad day!! Have a drink for me!

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 5:42am
post #6 of 11

I just googled 1234 cake, and the last entry on the first page of results said it was a 19th century recipe for a poor man's pound cake. 1 cup butter, 2 cups sugar, 3 cups flour, 4 eggs. So if you have a pound cake recipe, try that with walnuts and raisins. I remember when fruit cake was the traditional wedding cake (and my cousin shocked the older generation but delighted ours and had a chocolate wedding cake), so that may be what they are thinking of.

Kahuna Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 11:15am
post #7 of 11

thanks for everything you guys. After a good nights comatose sleep, I'm done stressing over this. I will do the 1234 recipie add the walnuts and rasins and maybe my spice cake with walnuts/rasins and if they don't like it they can go to Food Lion. She was supposed to send me her mother's recipie of course that didn't happen. Oh well, will let you know how it goes.

Thanks Janell, I was so miffed I just threw everything in the garbage then thought that was stupid, I should have given it to the neighbors, I digress. Talk to you soon.

Sue

absijails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
absijails Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 11:51am
post #8 of 11

http://www.recipesource.com/baked-goods/desserts/cakes/rum-raisin1.html

I just did a search for raisin and walnut cakes, middle eastern recipes on Google...think this is it? Did they mention anything about bananas?
HTH

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 11:55am
post #9 of 11
jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 1:54pm
post #10 of 11

to stop nuts and such from sinking to the bottom, toss then in flour to coat them lightly before adding to the batter.

Kahuna Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 2:08pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks so much for all of the help, you guys are awesome!! Love Ya. Hey, if I double the recipe to get the servings needed is it a 2 4 6 8 cake?? Just kidding. Thanks again for everything.

Sue

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%