Cake Price...was I Being Unreasonable?

Decorating By iluvjay829 Updated 25 Sep 2008 , 3:12pm by BCo

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 5:42pm
post #31 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

I had a "friend" do this to me once-she wanted a 2 tiered gift box cake with the lids open and then tissue paper coming out of it, etc. I told her $50. She said she was going to make a diaper cake herself instead.
Some people are just cheap. Period. There was NOTHING wrong with your price-I doubt you were barely covering expenses with that!

The funny thing is diaper cakes aren't cheap to make either! A two tiered quickie easily costs me $40. (Diapers aren't cheap and neither are the blankets, rattles, toys that go on the thing!) Of course, I use good diapers and quality accessories. I suppose if you ransacked the baby section of the 99 cent store and bought the cheapy leaky diapers.....

OP:I haven't read through the rest of the thread to see if you updated, but I hope you stuck to your price (or raised it!)

frankandcathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankandcathy Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 3:12am
post #32 of 52

Boy does this hit a nerve with me. I have said this so many times but let me repeat. DO NOT DEAL with people who keep trying to get you to lower your prices. If anyone even HINTS that you're too expensive, tell them they need to find someone else.

If they want a cheap cake, let them go get a cheap cake at a grocery store. Or have them spend hours and hours learning how to decorate their own cakes.

I would tell people up front when they contact you that you have a BASE per serving price of $________. Any additional decorations after that will be extra. And don't make your base price ridiculously low. Depending upon where you are, it should be at least $2.50/serving.

frankandcathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankandcathy Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 3:24am
post #33 of 52

Okay, I have to tell this story as well. I am out of the business now but occasionally my friends will recommend me to people and I'll once in a blue moon do a cake to make some extra money for vacation, etc.

This lady contacted me wanting a Wilton Castle cake for her daughter's birthday AND a 3-D stand up Pooh cake for her son's b-day same day. The pictures she sent me were (of course) very elaborate. She (of course) wanted a specialty flavor with specialty fillings and she (of course) didn't want to pay much of anything for it.

She wanted me to buy the castle kit ($16 minimum with wholesale discount/coupon) and then when I quoted her $60 for the castle cake she balked. She also at one point suggested that I buy the 3-D pan on craigslist for FORTY dollars and then balked at the price I quoted her for that cake.

Seriously. People are just funny. She told me that she could get both cakes from some other woman who had quoted her a lower price to which I responded, "That's great. You should definitely do that."

Don't ever hesitate to call off a potential contract if the person seems at all a pain to work with. People who don't want to pay are the HARDEST TO PLEASE by far.

I used to work for a guy who made custom drapes. If the person gave him a "hassle" feeling on the initial phone call, he would quote them $200 or so more than normal right off the bat. When I asked him about it he said it was a "hassle" charge. He had been in business a long time and didn't want to waste his time on picky, cheap people. Smart man.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 3:33am
post #34 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankandcathy

She told me that she could get both cakes from some other woman who had quoted her a lower price to which I responded, "That's great. You should definitely do that."

Print this off and hang it by the phone, folks!

This is the second thread in two days where the customer tried this line. In the other story, the CC'er was told "....I know a bakery who will do these cakes for free!" Oh sure! That's why you continued to price shop because you didn't want the FREE ones! Or in this case, the lower price.

frankandcathy responded perfectly! Call their bluff and send them on their merry way.

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 3:36am
post #35 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

She can get Twinkies for $1.49 a pack...

Hey, don't knock the twinkies, did you see the cake Leahs made with them! LOL!

katefrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katefrosting Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 5:27am
post #36 of 52

When doing an initial interview, ask what their budget is. Then, tell them the cake they can expect from you for that price. If you want to give them a deal, you can do a little extra with the cake, or reduce the price. In your case, the $15 dollar expenditure for the toy trucks is unreasonable. It doesn't seem as though you've factored that cost into the price of your cake. It's like a store buying a blouse for $15 and selling it for $15. No profit. Not that we shouldn't do favors for our friends, but, by the same token, our friends should be supportive of our endeavors and not take advantage of us.

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 6:27am
post #37 of 52

I just did a cake ( colt's cheerleader cake in my photo's) for a girl I work with. It was a grooms cake for her wedding. Originally when she asked me to do it I thought to myself "I will charge around 120.00 for it" but then I started thinking about how much work was involved and it was to feed around 100 people. So adding in the price of fondant and the drive to Indydebi's place to do the cake I charged her 350.00 and she said "are you sure...you can charge more".

A friend of my daughter in law called me and left me a voice mail. She said" I have always admired and l loved your cakes and my son is having his 4th birthday in Nov. I want to do a curious george theme and wondered if you would do his cake. I would pay you of course ( really?) So I sent her a text message telling her to go to cake central and look at pic's for Curious George and email me the pic's. I would then tell her how much I would charge. I also said " p.s. They are not walmart prices."
Later I found out she asked my DIL ...what does she mean by they are not walmart prices.... My DIL said...well she puts a lot of time and effort into those cakes and you aren't going to get them for 20 or 30 dollars. I never did hear back from her

So charge for your art and to hell with the people who don't want to pay it. I for one am not going to do cakes for nothing unless it is my choosing. Let them go to Walmart or some other frozen cake bakery.

CakeMakar Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 4:45pm
post #38 of 52

I always get bummed when someone has an exciting idea for a cake and then decides not to do it for the price. There have been a couple cakes I was really looking forward to making.

On the Curious George cake...I wouldn't contact back a baker that added a line like that to the end of her message, not because of the price, but because of the implication that I'm going to be cheap. Granted, she might have been looking for Wal-mart prices, but why not just say "P.S. Cakes start at $X per serving."

servingzero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
servingzero Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 5:10pm
post #39 of 52

You are definately going to run into ALL KINDS while selling cakes!

It's funny, I've just recently had 2 very different reactions to the prices of my cakes. The first was a high school friend who wanted me to do a cake for her daughters birthday, I quoted the price, and she actually had the nerve to ask "why is it so expensive?" First of all, I low-balled it since she was a friend, and our children play together. Secondly, and as I said to her "I'm not Wal-mart. You're paying for a better product, as well as for my time and talent to make a stand-out cake for you." She responded that she may go and rent a pan, and do it herself. I said "That's a good option."

Then the next day I had another acquaintance ask about a price of a cake, I quoted her the normal price, and she said "Oh, wow I thought it would be more. If you want more that's fine."

It's really crazy the way people react on both sides of the spectrum. I've learned to toughen up, and let the ones who think you are "too expensive" go along their merry way, and save that time slot for someone who knows what your work is worth. So much less hassle that way!

I understand your want to low-ball for a friend, but I can let you know that I WON'T be doing that again, and would suggest the same for you!

Good luck with it all!

CakeMakar Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 5:24pm
post #40 of 52

I had someone that wanted a stadium once. I was super excited about that cake. Even lowballed it at $60. I didn't hear back from her, but a couple weeks later I emailed her to say I'd found the NordicWare stadium pan at Walmart (she was in my mom's group so I didn't want to totally blow her off. icon_biggrin.gif) and she quickly responded with a thousand thank yous.

I've just come to realize some people don't appreciate a beautiful, tasty cake as much as I do. For some people a Vons $14 "masterpiece" is fine. Nothing wrong with that, and believe me for a group of 10 year olds - I completely agree, just don't act like I'm being snobby when I refuse a piece.

My family treats me like I'm insane for charging so much. My husband tells me to charge them extra. icon_biggrin.gif

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 5:35pm
post #41 of 52

After reading all of the posts I can say that there are many ppl on CC that has enormous talent. I'm on the lower end here. I just started this past year with my classes and decorating.

After seeing many posts about pricing on CC and given where you are at I think you priced at the lower end. Remember that you have to add in all of your costs. I recently went to the grocery store and priced everything that I would use to make a cake. I priced EVERYTHING!!! I recenly quoted a lady at work that I know and like on her little girl's bday cake. I know I quoted her VERY low but like I said I am on the lower end here and I need all the decorating time I can get.

I wouldnt have put the remark about WalMart though...and if I did I would have saved it for a later conversation.

CakeRN Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 3:58am
post #42 of 52

I made the remark about "not being walmart prices" only because she gave me the impression by her voice mail that I would be cheap " oh and I would pay you for the cake" . I even told my dil that if the girl could not afford my prices to tell her I would not be offended. I didn't want her to get her hopes up on a specialty cake to have them dashed to the ground by the price. I also would have had to either charge her a big delivery fee since she was ove 50 miles away or have her come get the cake. I don't do cakes for sole income. It is for my pleasure but I am not going to charge less just to get a sale either.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 12:18pm
post #43 of 52

I actually have that 'walmart' remark right on my website! On my "Dessert Cakes" page, I warm them, "You won't find grocery store pricing on this page .... but you won't find these cakes in a grocery store, either."

There are times you can just tell what they're expecting to pay .... I see no problem in nipping it right in the bud.

alvarezmom Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 12:58pm
post #44 of 52

Ah that makes more sense CakeRN. I dont ever compare my work with a business or some decorators that are more skilled than me. My prices for cookies, brownies are cheaper than most in my area. My cupcakes are some what cheaper and my cakes right now are cheaper, but I tell them that the supplies that are needed in the cake are included in the price. The cake that I am doing this weekend I charged her $75 for a 3 tier cake. I know that's nothing even for a beginner. I thought that was allot but the girl didnt. Every customer is diffrent and you win some and you lose some. I just have a hard time telling ppl so bluntly about the prices. I try and ease them into it!

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 1:14pm
post #45 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbegg

My story from this weekend: I do not normally sell cakes, only a few. I made an 8inch square strawberry cake w/ cream cheese BC and 8 inch round german chocolate cake for a dessert meeting. We never discussed price. When asked at the end of the meeting what I would charge I said $20.00 a cake. She said that was way too little and handed me a folded check. When I got home, opened it to find $100!!!!

So I guess that I can charge a little more than I have been!

Stephanie

THOSE are the best customers to have!

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 1:36pm
post #46 of 52

I keep reading all these types of posts time and time again.

My big girl panties are growing and I am slowly learning that if people keep giving me extra money than what I charged them, I CHARGED THEM TOO LITTLE! icon_lol.gif

So, all you low pricers out there, lets stand up together, and with our hands holding quotes with higher prices up in the air, say
"We are WORTH it!!!" icon_biggrin.gif

tiersfromheaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiersfromheaven Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 1:54pm
post #47 of 52

I use the Walmart line when dealing with potential customers (or grocery store prices). I feel that it helps save time and hassle. Spending 30 mins discussing design, flavors, etc only to get "That's too much money for me."

I recently responded this way to an email inquiry for a first birthday. I sent a pic of one of my cakes and the cost/servings to give them an idea of my work. I explained cakes like the ones I make can not be found at grocery stores. And I have a minimum order. They never wrote back which is OK by me. I want to build a clientele of cake snobs that appreciate quality. And through them I will get more cake snobs icon_smile.gif.

I paid $150 for my DD's first birthday cake, back when I didn't decorate. I didn't bat an eye because the occasion was so special to me that I needed a cake that made more of a statement than a regular sheet cake. I want clients that think like this as well. I have come to realize not all people think this way and that is OK. But since my time is valuable, ( I could be making icing, etc.) I limit the time I spend on these people. The Walmart line let's me and them off the hook nice and easy.

alvarezmom Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:02pm
post #48 of 52

tiersfromheaven-LOL @ cake snobs.

CakeRN Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 3:27am
post #49 of 52

Alvarezmom.....I even charge my sisters for cakes. I made a 9 inch square cake with a fondant wedding dress on it plus a 6 in cake decorated and charged my sister 60.00. Now I thought she got off cheap on that but don't undercut yourself just because you are a beginner. I am not a professional decorator either but my time is worth something to me and if people like my cakes and want them then I charge them. They can always say no....

alvarezmom Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 12:51pm
post #50 of 52

CakeRN: I probably would charge a cousin but I'm really close to my sisters and I love my neices and nephews more...their the ones who usually ask me to make them cakes because my sister's cant even bake a box mix cake. LOL I get guilted by them! icon_smile.gif

I do understand where your coming from...I shouldnt sell myself short by under pricing.....

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 3:12pm
post #51 of 52

I had a customer who wanted a Castle Cake for 25 ppl and I told her $75 (still way low) and she said, well I guess that's an acceptable price considering what I'm asking for!! I was like, seriously, acceptable? It is what it is regardless and I should have charged you $100+!! Ahhh - some people. But then I do have those fabulous customers that slip that extra money in and tell me on the way out that I didn't charge enough. Those are the customers that I need to focus my work on and there are more of them out there then you realize - and yes, those cake snobs do recommend you to future cake snobs and that's the best! And it always seems the one's who want the most for nothing are the one's who are the biggest pains to have to do business with, they want the world, aren't afraid to ask for it but then don't want to pay for it. It's not personal, it's business...it's taken me a long time to start to come to my senses but my time is valuable and I'm glad I'm starting to see the light! I much rather deal with customers who know the value and appriciate the work/time/effort and have less of them but paying my "higher" prices then a bunch of low paying pain in the butts!! icon_smile.gif

I have been coming to my senses and starting to just put it out there - this is the price, take it or leave it. I have also started to put the word out there that my prices are going to start going up b/c of the cost of EVERYTHING in life going up! Not to mention my time is starting to become the most valuable thing. It just took me a while to realize all of this and to come to my senses!! I'm glad I did!!!!!

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 3:12pm
post #52 of 52

I had a customer who wanted a Castle Cake for 25 ppl and I told her $75 (still way low) and she said, well I guess that's an acceptable price considering what I'm asking for!! I was like, seriously, acceptable? It is what it is regardless and I should have charged you $100+!! Ahhh - some people. But then I do have those fabulous customers that slip that extra money in and tell me on the way out that I didn't charge enough. Those are the customers that I need to focus my work on and there are more of them out there then you realize - and yes, those cake snobs do recommend you to future cake snobs and that's the best! And it always seems the one's who want the most for nothing are the one's who are the biggest pains to have to do business with, they want the world, aren't afraid to ask for it but then don't want to pay for it. It's not personal, it's business...it's taken me a long time to start to come to my senses but my time is valuable and I'm glad I'm starting to see the light! I much rather deal with customers who know the value and appriciate the work/time/effort and have less of them but paying my "higher" prices then a bunch of low paying pain in the butts!! icon_smile.gif

I have been coming to my senses and starting to just put it out there - this is the price, take it or leave it. I have also started to put the word out there that my prices are going to start going up b/c of the cost of EVERYTHING in life going up! Not to mention my time is starting to become the most valuable thing. It just took me a while to realize all of this and to come to my senses!! I'm glad I did!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%