Elegant Finger Food Ideas?

Lounge By MystiqueFire Updated 26 Sep 2008 , 1:10am by MystiqueFire

MystiqueFire Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 6:33pm
post #1 of 13

Alright Guys, I've got a question. I've been selected to head up the food spread for a CD release party. It's got to look nice and have nice finger foods on it. The problem is, I recently started a new job, and orders for cookies have been piling in, so I'm not going to have much time to cook. Because the CD party is also intertwined with a posh fundraiser for our local Prison Ministry, we're taking up donations from grocery stores for cash/credit to use at their stores... So catering isn't an option.

My question is, what are some simple yet elegant fingerfoods we can serve? The only thing I've come up with is shrimp cocktail from Costco (those big tubs of them that are like $50 a box), and someone suggested Swedish Meatballs (which I have no idea how to cook.)

Granted, I'm a cook by trade but my "simple" appetizers are a bit lacking. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Jasmine

12 replies
banba Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 6:52pm
post #2 of 13

you could look at a few "tapas" recipes on google.

Some of these can be pretty simple and offer a different selection to what you would normally find at finger food events.

Deb_ Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 13

How about some cantaloupe or fresh figs wrapped in very thin prosuitto (sp?)

I like to serve fresh mozarella balls and cherry tomatoes each wrapped in a fresh basil leave threaded on a cocktail pick (like a shish ka bob) than drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper. (like a caprice salad on a stick)

Another favorite- In the deli section you get those mini sliced cocktail pumpernickel breads. Mix 1/2 c. mayo with 1tsp horseradish, spread a tiny amt on each piece of bread, top with shredded swiss cheese and half a calamata olive
Pop under the broiler for 1 - 2 min til bubbly. They are soo good, sometimes I place a shrimp on each one too.

A great easy spread is mix 1 8oz container of soft cream cheese with 1/2 a jar of chutney, this is great on crackers.

Just a few ideas, I love appetizer parties, so if you'd like more quick recipes let me know, I have a ton.

MystiqueFire Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 9:27pm
post #4 of 13

These are some great ideas ;0)

Yes, please keep them coming! *Writing down recipe ideas...*

Jasmine

shanzah67 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 13

You could try marthastewart.com icon_smile.gif

Mike1394 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 8:48am
post #6 of 13

How about some beef, or pork tenderloin? Take a small triangle of crustless bread sprinkle a lil seasoned oil on it. Bake it golden. Slice your meat very thin, and so it fits on the bread no hangy overs. icon_biggrin.gif Then some seasoned cream cheese piped in a small rose in the corner of the triangle atop of the meat. Then for some color you can use some red pepper, orange pepper. A small sprig of parsely.

These are very easy they look great, and you can make a ton in a short period of time.

Crab filled button mushroom caps.

Mike

Katie-Bug Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 1:34pm
post #7 of 13

Mike, just yesterday I saw a recipe similar to that! It was steak on top with a dot of pesto. I have to say looked great!!!

Another option along that is pork tenderloin with a apricot glaze!! I love apricot/orange flavors with pork and some crusty bread!!! YUM!!!

I think that some stuffed tomatoes look really nice, my typically is BLT stuffed.

Love all the ideas! Good Luck, post some pics of what you create!!

galliesway Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 1:39pm
post #8 of 13

Jasmine, they have those packets to make the Swedish meatballs. I think it's McCormick I only use the side for the sauce mostly because a lot of times I don't have the time to make the meatballs and use the pre made ones.

Kelley

MystiqueFire Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 4:45pm
post #9 of 13

These are great ideas. My mouth is watering thinking about them! (Maybe time for a lunch break? It's 1:00 here...) mmm... pork tenderloin.......

Galliesway thanks for the hint on swedish meatballs. I love those little packets, they just make life easier ;0)

I thought maybe an antipasti (sp) platter? With the olives and cheeses and salames.. is that corny?

Jasmine

michellenj Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 7:46pm
post #10 of 13

Are you going to be preparing all of this yourself, or will there be help?

MystiqueFire Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 9:51pm
post #11 of 13

Mostly myself and maybe a friend, and the other two people who are supposed to be helping me will more than likely only cook one thing themselves and just serve.

Jasmine

michellenj Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 10:28pm
post #12 of 13

Here's what I would do:

Cheese display

Vegetable crudites with dip

Antipasto display

Mediterranean display (different kinds of hummus, olives, roasted peppers, baba ghanoush, tabbouleh, feta cheese, pita wedges, etc.)

side of smoked salmon with garnishes and black bread

either baked brie en croute or caramelized pecan brie

fruit kabobs with yogurt dip OR a fruit display

shrimp cocktail

melon wrapped in proscuitto

International coffee and dessert station

AND whatever assorted hot hors d'oeuvres that you want to make. All of these can be prepared a day or two in advance, and that will free you up to throw the hot stuff in the oven the day of the party.

You'll probably want to borrow or rent some big serving platters if you don't already have them.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

MystiqueFire Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 1:10am
post #13 of 13

Thanks SO much for the ideas... I really appreciate it. These are all great and I'll probably use all of them. thumbs_up.gif

Thanks again!!!!!

Jasmine

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%