Icing Too Soft

Decorating By IcedTea4Me2 Updated 21 Sep 2008 , 10:16pm by IcedTea4Me2

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 4:42pm
post #1 of 6

I'm sure this is addressed somewhere in the 800+ pages, but I don't have time to look for it right now. I am a newbie at baking, decorating, etc. I'm doing it as a hobby and a stress reliever. Anyway, everytime I make a cake the icing is too soft to make roses, etc. They look droopy. I've heard that you can add more of this or less of that, but doesn't that change the flavor of the icing? What can I add or delete that will keep the flavor? I'm in SC and, YES, IT'S HOT and HUMID in my kitchen! I have actually moved to a different room to decorate the cake (out of the kitchen.) I can put the icing in the fridge, but when it gets to room temp. again it is too soft. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Lisa

5 replies
dellboi2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellboi2u Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 6

I just add more powdered sugar to make it more firm. It shouldn't take very much more than you are already adding... here is the recipe I use, and it works great for anything I have needed it for... plus my customers LOVE it... it also helps that there are no dairy ingredients, which gives you more decorating time, you don't have to worry about it going bad nearly as fast!!
1 cup water
2 tsp vanella
4 drops butter flavoring
1 tsp salt
2 cups crisco
whip it all together for about 5 minutes
For piping words,etc. I mix in a little light corn syrup to the amount I need and it works great!!
What is also nice about this recipe is that you can add more powder sugar or water to get the thickness you want.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 6

Cake decorating for "stress relief". I love this job but after this weekend I find it more stressful than my job in the emergency medical field!!!
I always add either a little less water, or a little more powdered sugar. Usually though, I really like doing RI flowers cause I can make them Wayyyyyyyyyyyy ahead of time. Whooohoo. That's stress relief.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 7:16pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellboi2u

I just add more powdered sugar to make it more firm. It shouldn't take very much more than you are already adding... here is the recipe I use, and it works great for anything I have needed it for... plus my customers LOVE it... it also helps that there are no dairy ingredients, which gives you more decorating time, you don't have to worry about it going bad nearly as fast!!
1 cup water
2 tsp vanella
4 drops butter flavoring
1 tsp salt
2 cups crisco
whip it all together for about 5 minutes
For piping words,etc. I mix in a little light corn syrup to the amount I need and it works great!!
What is also nice about this recipe is that you can add more powder sugar or water to get the thickness you want.

How much powdered sugar?

dellboi2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellboi2u Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 8:25pm
post #5 of 6

Hahaha... duh! The most important ingredient!! 4 lbs. I am usually making a couple of cakes at the same time so this is a pretty large batch. You could half it if you need a smaller amount.

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 10:16pm
post #6 of 6

"Cake decorating for "stress relief". I love this job but after this weekend I find it more stressful than my job in the emergency medical field!!!"

Yes, for me it is, believe it or not. I'm sitting in the courtroom all day (as a court reporter) listening to the ills of the world, and for some reason just piddling around in the kitchen and creating/decorating puts me in a happy place. Strange!

Thanks for your responses. I'm new to this site and amazed by it already. There's so much to learn!

Lisa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%