leah_s Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 5:56pm
post #451 of 586

thumbs_up.gif

Right?

Easy. Strong. Stable. Cheap.

amandaluvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandaluvscakes Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 3:05am
post #452 of 586

I keep clicking on the download and it says "file not found" is it still attached to the thread?

sing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sing Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 7:21am
post #453 of 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaluvscakes

I keep clicking on the download and it says "file not found" is it still attached to the thread?

same here icon_sad.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 4:15pm
post #454 of 586

Are you on PAGE 15 of the thread?

stephdover4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephdover4 Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 4:50pm
post #455 of 586

go here!
http://media.cakecentral.com/files/sps_104.pdf

hope this makes it easier than searching...good luck!

KimmW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmW Posted 14 Apr 2012 , 6:55pm
post #456 of 586

I found a video tutorial on YouTube and thought it might be of interest to some of you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hURyXNQRuYY

Kimm

imanah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imanah Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 7:39am
post #457 of 586

Hello,

I use sps only. I have a cake coming up and there will be a two inch tier in the mix.

12" regular
11" half tier
10" regular...and so on.

Should I get a longer column and put it through the 12" and 11" cake?

What is normally done in situations like that?

Thanks

leah_s Posted 14 May 2012 , 1:11pm
post #458 of 586

Cut the legs to 2" and proceed normally.

imanah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imanah Posted 16 May 2012 , 2:17am
post #459 of 586

Thanks that was exactly what I did icon_smile.gif

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 17 May 2012 , 6:35am
post #460 of 586

having a little issue with cake cracking upon inserting. I think that I may have my own answer here, but should the cake be room temperature when inserting the plate? I have had two side cracks on 8" tiers (one with a six inch on top, though over a very bumpy and hilly dirt road) and the second was on an 8" tier with an 8" plate inserted (double high tier). Both of these were inserted into well chilled cakes. I'm guessing that that is my problem. what do you think?

leah_s Posted 17 May 2012 , 7:21am
post #461 of 586

I always work with cake at room temp and I never got a crack in a decade. I do not refrigerate cakes.

You do need to put the plate and leg assembly in SLOWLY.,

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 28 Jun 2012 , 9:43pm
post #462 of 586

I noticed Bakery Crafts has EZ-cut pillars that go with the plates (eliminating the need for a saw for the Grecian). Has anyone tried these pillars?

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 5:28pm
post #463 of 586

I used the SPS, for the first time, this weekend. My last two cakes fell and I was terrified to have another go this way (first time in 15 years). The package arrived 2 hours before delivery! The system was great and worked perfectly!

I made one mistake that I would share, I measured the tiers from the top of my turntable to the top of the cake. Oops! That made each plate sit above the cake since I should have measured from the top of the cardboard cake round!

Luckily, the entire cake was covered in coconut, so mistakes were easily fixed. My 8 inch cake also cracked, but it was still cold when I pushed in the columns. I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem for a room temp cake.

Two benefits I haven't seen mentioned so I'd like to add.

#1 Placing a cake on top of a separator plate is 100 times easier than trying to center and stack a cake with spatulas and extra hands. As mentioned, the cake is also even! No leaning tower of cake that is impossible to fix once you have it tiered.

#2 Once the plate and columns were inserted into a tier I was able to pick up the cake between my thumbs and fingers, by touching the plate on top and the cardboard on bottom. NO touching the frosting. Im sure it helped that the cakes were still cold, but I think it would be the same for a room temp tier.

The cake had to be moved from the display room to the cutting room and it was easy peasy!! Even the caterers were impressed.
LL

leah_s Posted 17 Jul 2012 , 2:56pm
post #464 of 586

lorieleann,
for a double height tier, you use a smaller plate and leg . For an 8" double height, you'd put a 6" plate in the middle,

mbn504 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbn504 Posted 20 Jul 2012 , 9:36pm
post #465 of 586

I am using the SPS for the first time tomorrow. 5 tier (14, 12, 10, 8 and 6") The cakes are already iced on the plates, but I'll have to put the border on at the reception site because there won't be much room to push the cake in if the border is added first. The bride wanted the 9" legs so they can put lots of flowers between each tier. I am a little concerned about the stability. I was planning to transport the cakes (unstacked of course) straight from the refrigerator, but just read where someone had problems with cracking while inserting the legs. Has anyone used the 9" legs without cutting and was the cake sturdy? Thank you!

leah_s Posted 9 Aug 2012 , 12:31am
post #466 of 586

I personally always used the 5" leg + 1, 2" extension to create the airspace for flowers. That takes a lot of flowers. Using the 9" legs, it sort of looks like FLOWERS and cake, rather than CAKE and flowers,

You will put the plate and leg assembly into the tiers before you leave home. Yes, the plate will be sticking up in the air. Then when you get onsite, you will pick up each cake on it's cardboard and place it on the plate, and add your border.

Uhhh . . . what do you mean "the cakes are already iced on the plates." The SPS plates? No, that's not how you use this system. The cakes stay on their cardboards.

How do you propose to attach the legs to the plate and push the assembly into the tier?

#confused

mbn504 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbn504 Posted 9 Aug 2012 , 2:22am
post #467 of 586

Thank you Leah_s. I had never used the sps and learned as I went. I thought I could do everything, including the borders, before I went, but realized I would not have room to hold the plates and put them together. I ended up putting the border on as I set the cake up. I did put each cake on cardboard and then on the sps plate before I arrived. It worked out. I also agree that it was a lot of space for flowers, but that is what the bride wanted. This was the first cake I had ever done that had airspace and wasn't stacked. I learn each time what to do (or not to do). I love this site and the advice from those who are more experienced. Thanks again!

Smiller94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smiller94 Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 11:16pm
post #468 of 586

i have decided to go ahead and purchase the SPS system for my upcoming wedding cake I am doing for my brother which will be a 8, 10, 12, 14 & 16(syrofoam) cake. The cake pans I bought for this cake is the magicline 3 inch pans.

My question is before I buy the rods for the SPS system would the 4 inch rods be okay if I am planning on leveling & torting each layer? Would a 3 inch cake layered and torted be a 4 inch in the end?

or should I just plan on buying the taller rods and cutting them?

Thanks for the help

leah_s Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 6:19pm
post #469 of 586

Hmmm . . . I thoroughly detest 3" pans and gave all mine away because I can't bake in them. So, I can't help much there. But the standard height of a tier is 4", so that's what you should be shooting for. If you can get your tier to 4", then the 4" legs are the ones to buy. That's why the manufacturer makes them 4". icon_smile.gif

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 1 Sep 2012 , 8:51pm
post #470 of 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Hmmm . . . I thoroughly detest 3" pans and gave all mine away because I can't bake in them. So, I can't help much there. But the standard height of a tier is 4", so that's what you should be shooting for. If you can get your tier to 4", then the 4" legs are the ones to buy. That's why the manufacturer makes them 4". icon_smile.gif

One more time, thank you Leah for your awesome, wise advice!! you always rock icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

And yes, at one point I thought I'd be saving time so, I bought a whole set of 3" pans thumbsdown.gif --fast forward a year later...now I have a whole set of 2" pans which I totally love cuz I know I'm always gonna have 4" tiers every time, yaayyy! thumbs_up.gif

mysticalmomentsindia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysticalmomentsindia Posted 19 Oct 2012 , 3:55pm
post #471 of 586

Thanks for your advice!!! This is awesome!!!

Gudluck...!!!

mfruchey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfruchey Posted 22 Oct 2012 , 6:14pm
post #472 of 586

I have been meaning to try SPS for quite some time but am going to be doing my first wedding cake this month and don't think I can put it off any longer.

After reading several pages of this thread and the tutorial, it seems....really simple. Am I missing something? I'm going to try to go back and read the entire thread, but I think that's gonna take WEEKS. Anyone got an *quick* tips? (I'm doing a 10", 12", 14", 16")

Thanks in advance!

saapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saapena Posted 22 Oct 2012 , 6:32pm
post #473 of 586

It is that simple! I used it for a 3-tier wedding cake (my first and only since I am a hobby baker and this was my gift to the couple) and put it together at home and delivered ready to go! That cake didn't budge! I always use SPS for any stacked cake I do!

mfruchey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfruchey Posted 23 Oct 2012 , 3:08am
post #474 of 586

Awesome. Thanks for the input!

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 30 Oct 2012 , 1:25pm
post #475 of 586

I apologize if this has been covered in the thread.  I searched for "3 layer" but didn't see the reply I needed. 

I need to make one of those taller than normal cakes, with three rounds instead of 2.  How do you guys use the SPS in cakes like this?  Do you just stack the third on top and then ice over the plate and everything?

Did that make any sense?  Here is a pic of the cake I need to make.  Hope it attaches!

LoriMc Posted 30 Oct 2012 , 1:25pm
post #476 of 586

I apologize if this has been covered in the thread.  I searched for "3 layer" but didn't see the reply I needed. 

I need to make one of those taller than normal cakes, with three rounds instead of 2.  How do you guys use the SPS in cakes like this?  Do you just stack the third on top and then ice over the plate and everything?

Did that make any sense?  Here is a pic of the cake I need to make.  Hope it attaches!

LoriMc Posted 30 Oct 2012 , 1:28pm
post #477 of 586

LoriMc Posted 30 Oct 2012 , 1:28pm
post #478 of 586

crazygrammie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazygrammie Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 11:40pm
post #479 of 586

ok, finally made it through all 32 pages and I'm sold. i am doing my first 5 tier - 18,14, 10, 7 and 5. the design doesn't look like its going to be easy to stack part of it at the venue and put on borders as it has drapes.  do you think it's possible that 1 woman and 1 man could lift this cake?

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 11:55pm
post #480 of 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazygrammie 

ok, finally made it through all 32 pages and I'm sold. i am doing my first 5 tier - 18,14, 10, 7 and 5. the design doesn't look like its going to be easy to stack part of it at the venue and put on borders as it has drapes.  do you think it's possible that 1 woman and 1 man could lift this cake?

You won't regret using SPS. I can lift a 4 tier 6, 8, 10, 12. Not sure I could carry it very far though, I tend to use a cart. My husband can lift and carry an 8, 10, 12, 14. The only 5 tier I've done was stacked at the venue because I didn't want to chance it. I'm pretty sure between 2 people your cake can be lifted, and carried. Or, get a cart. Also, make sure you get a really sturdy base board for that cake. If they have organised a huge cake table it may be tricky getting the cake centered on it, because you can't just push the cake around. And try and check how far from the cake table you can park, and if you have steps, stairs and narrow doors to negotiate!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%