Sps Instructions

Decorating By leah_s Updated 23 Jan 2017 , 7:04pm by leah_s

Rainbow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rainbow Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 3:38am
post #331 of 586

Used SPS for the first time this past weekend. Absolutely loved it! I will NEVER go back to wooden dowelsicon_smile.gif

Sue

baileymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baileymom Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 4:12am
post #332 of 586

I am having no luck finding the sps instructions. What is sps?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 4:18am
post #333 of 586

Read my siggy
|
|
|
|
V

jsjustcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsjustcakes Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 5:18am
post #334 of 586

HELP! I am transporting a cake from Denver up to the mountains (approx 11,000 feet) up a 4% road grade with twists and turns and truck run-offs (to give you an idea of the road) for a wedding....do I dare travel with cake assembled with SPS or should I wait and assemble on site. I keep hearing how sturdy the SPS system is, but I am nervous with this travel. Does anyone have any similar experience to give me any tips? This may have been addressed already, but after reading half of the pages I haven't seen it yet and am running out of time! Thanks!

leah_s Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 2:22am
post #335 of 586

If you're too nervous to transport it assembled, then assembled on site. SPS is still the easiest system to use to get your cake centered and straight and the assembly is super fast.

sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 6:38am
post #336 of 586

Leahs...I need your help! How do you use the SPS system in a cake like this one? Please help, and TIA

sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 6:40am
post #337 of 586

I don't know why it didn't post my pic...here is a link.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1742327

Thank you again.

leah_s Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 8:28pm
post #338 of 586

I did a similar cake once with the styro spacers. Here's what I did.

put base cake on board, insert SPS plate and pillar assembly. Set stryo block on top.
Put next tier on foamcore board, insert SPS plate and leg assembly. Place on top of stryo block.

Think of the stryo block as the *bottom of your tier" and also as as extra support.

The SPS assembly is holding up the styro and cake above it. The styro adds no weight, so it's still just the weight of the cake. I'd use foamcore as the base, because the stryo block is small than the cake above it, so you need support for the perimeter edges.

On the cake I did, I was able to pipe a bead at the bottom borer of the foamcore board.

I seriously only do that cake in fondant if I ever did that type of design again. And the maker of that cake says as much in her notes under the picture.

dkr8trjd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dkr8trjd Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 5:49am
post #339 of 586

I am looking for the directions for the sps system. It says to go to page 15 or the sticky. I don't know what that is or how to get there. Sorry probaly a dumb question, I'm not to good on the computer, and this is my first time on a forum. icon_smile.gif

thank you

dkr8rtjd

VickeyC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickeyC Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 6:39am
post #340 of 586

Go to the very first page of this discussion. The 1st post will say attached. Right under that is a blue box with a bunch of jibberish in it. Right under that, there will be a small box with and X and it will say "sps.pdf". Right click on that little box and choose to open network. That should open the file and you will find the directions there.
I sure hope that I explained it where its not confusing. Hope that helps.

Photomommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Photomommie Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 7:29pm
post #341 of 586

HI I have a ??? about SPS, I'm doing a 3 tier cake for my neice, 12" 9" (round ) and a 4" box on top. How do I do SPS, I get the 9" plate but what do I do for the top, the smallest square plate is 6"? I need it to be secure as I will be traveling 3 hours in the car with it! icon_surprised.gif (fingers crossed)

Also I have a silly "duh" question. These plates dont lock together, so is it just the cakes sticking to the plate that is holding it tight? I'm so worried about the long travel upstate. icon_eek.gif

Any information is gladly appreciated!
Thanks

leah_s Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 3:53am
post #342 of 586

No the plates don't lock together. That would be a complete impossibility. But then those dowels don't lock into anything at all either. At least with SPS the legs lock into the plate.

And no, SPS doesn't come in a 4" size. And that's why I NEVER design anything with a 4" tier on top. icon_smile.gif

Erin3085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erin3085 Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 11:13pm
post #343 of 586

I have read until I am cross-eyed so if I missed this question being answered before, I apologize...I'm half blind at the moment. icon_biggrin.gif

I'm making my first wedding cake...12/9/6 round...and plan to use SPS. The border on this cake will be a satin ribbon, and I have wilton pans. Since the ribbon border isn't as forgiving as a fondant or bc one, would you recommend I go with a size smaller SPS plate to accomodate for the post-baking shrinkage? (hahaha) And is there anything I should know about attaching a ribbon to a cake with an SPS plate under it? Any different than on a cake board/dowel cake? Board/plate size has never been an issue for me before, but I have only used wilton cake boards and piped borders. Both my border and plate will be new to me with this one!

This thread has been so crazy informative...my DH resents it-and this site-for the amount of time I have spent reading it. icon_razz.gifthumbs_up.gif

leah_s Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 3:56am
post #344 of 586

I do ribbons all the time, although I generally do fondant ribbons. The SPS plate is the same size as your cardboard. You put bc on the cake using the edge of the cardboard as your guide, so the bc goes to the edge of the cardboard and therefore also to the edge of the SPS plate.

If you want to use a smaller SPS plate you can. or not.

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 4:58pm
post #345 of 586

So just to confirm, if I'm ordering from Global Sugar Art, I pick my plate sizes one by one, and I order the "Grecian Column 4 inch" set of twelve? Does that have all the pieces I need for a four-tier cake, or do I need to get one of the "multi-piece" column sets?
Also ... anyone know of any discount coupons with Global Sugar Art right now? icon_smile.gif

Thanks for any guidance!

leah_s Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 10:39am
post #346 of 586

You only need the multipiece set if you have either a) a cake with separations or b) a tier than is 5" or 7" tall. Those are the only two reason to use the multipiece set.

Carla9900 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carla9900 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 4:47pm
post #347 of 586

I'm not able to open this or view anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

attached

leah_s Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 4:54pm
post #348 of 586

go to page 15 of the thread.

|
|
|
|
V

thecakeprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakeprincess Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 3:54pm
post #349 of 586

Thanks for all the great info!

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 5:49pm
post #350 of 586

Would this be one of those things I would ask to have back after the event? Like what would be covered in an equipment deposit? Or should I just add the cost of this into the cake cost and never see it again lol?

leah_s Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 12:14am
post #351 of 586

It's meant to be disposable, so add the cost to the price of the cake.

sweetnessx3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnessx3 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:17am
post #352 of 586

Thank you for all the information !!! Ive ordered my first sps icon_smile.gif Wish me luck lol! I ordered mine Monday from Oasis Thank you for the website and I found to be cheaper . Do they usually ship fast? Im excited to try it out . I have a stacked cake Monday which Im very nervous about !

leah_s Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 3:16pm
post #353 of 586

Ordered on Thursday for a Monday cake? I hope you paid for expedited shipping. Since your cake needs to be finished Sunday night and some delivery companies don't deliver on Saturday, you would have had to pay for overnight shipping.

steffiessweet_sin_sations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 3:51am
post #354 of 586

is there any way we could get a picture tutorial on this? i am a visual person i need to see it. thanks

leah_s Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 2:18am
post #355 of 586

The tutorial on page 15 OF THIS THREAD is full of pictures.

DaphneSUE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaphneSUE Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 3:12pm
post #356 of 586

ok the link is not working for me...when i click on it the page never loads and it just says that it has stopped...idk...please help i want to see this

DaphneSUE Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 3:27pm
post #357 of 586

what is the company that makes this, is it Bakery Crafts?

DaphneSUE Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 9:14pm
post #358 of 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I ordered the legs you specified in the tutorial. It came with the ridged grecian columns and the 2" columns with notches on the bottom lip. Which do I use? I looks like you are using only the grecian ones....but what are the others for?

I honestly don't have a clue what you've got, unless you ordered the multi-piece legs. Those are generally for cakes with separations or, I suppose, really tall cakes. I use the GC-4s. They come in a bag of 12 pieces, each one 4" in length.

And second. I use 1/2 foam core for the base of my layers. Do you think that it matters if I use that? I know the center notch won't go all the way through, but it should lodge in there well enough right?

Well, since the legs only give you 4" of height, and you're devoting 1/2" of that to foamcore, your cake could only be 3.5" tall. Remember with SPS your cardboard is sitting on a sturdy plastic plate. Really, truly, a regular cake carboard will be fine. The extra sturdiness you wanted when using dowels, and your decision to use the foamcore, just isn't needed with SPS. You've already got the sturdiness of the plasticplate and leg assembly. That thing isn't going anywhere. You just don't need the foamcore.

Also, do you push the plate all the way down before you put the next layer on OR do you leave it up a bit so it will be push down by the weight of the cake?

I do push the plate and leg assembly all the way in, but that's jsut personal choice. No real reason, and either way should be fine.

are the GC 4's that you speak of the Grecian Columns 4"

leah_s Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 12:16am
post #359 of 586

Bakery crafts = yes.
GC-4s = Grecian Columns, 4" tall. The manufacturer is pretty straightforward with the name.

pastryqueen9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryqueen9 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 1:17am
post #360 of 586

Just a couple of questions...btw Leah, thanks for posting these directions.

1.) Where do you buy the sps materials?

2.) Wilton suggests driving a dowel rod through the center of the cakes with the use of the cardboard cake boards. I've seen it done also by the pros on shows like Amazing Wedding Cakes but they use a wooden like cake board. Can you do this with sps? The reason I'm asking is that I would be a little afraid to move a cake around having only secured it to the (plastic) board with icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%