Please Give Me Some Critism On My Decorating...

Decorating By mommy_of_3_DDs Updated 29 Sep 2008 , 5:41am by jjandhope

mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 3:33pm
post #1 of 18

I have been decorating for 1 year now and am trying to decide if I have the skills needed to keep this up (possibly full time). So please take a look at my pics and give me some honest feed back on my cakes. Are my cakes getting better? Or should I toss in the towel and stick to cakes just for my kids?

I guess I should also add that I have not taken any classes and I am self taught. Should I take the Wilton classes?

Thank you for helping me!

17 replies
SeriousCakes Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 18

I can't give any advice about taking the classes, that would really depend on what else you want to learn I think. I think your cakes look great and your little figurines are definitely up to par icon_biggrin.gif

jenny518 Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 11:10pm
post #3 of 18

I think your cakes are very nice! But, only you can make the decision about doing cakes fulltime. As for the classes, I am taking Wilton #1 and it has really been a waste of my time. I didn't know you could start w/ other classes if you had experience, so I'm stuck... I think the fondant/gumpaste classes might be good if you need experience with them, though.

ShortcakesSweets Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 5:13am
post #4 of 18

I think you have definite talent. I really think you would benefit from taking the classes, though. I took what I thought were Wilton course I & II about 16 years ago. It turned out the lady wasn't really a Wilton instructor, but I didn't find that out until after "Course II." I played around with it a little after that but got discouraged and didn't do many cakes for a long time. In 2005 I became interested again and took the Wilton Courses from Hobby Lobby. I learned the correct methods and benefited so much this time around. I have also learned a great deal from CC.

frankandcathy Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 3:26am
post #5 of 18

The Wilton classes are, in my opinion, not worth the time or money. Keep learning as you go. Watch lots of Ace of Cakes episodes, get Sugar Shack's DVDS, read lots of cake magazines, and keep honing your skills. You'll improve in no time.

frankandcathy Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 3:26am
post #6 of 18

But your cakes look good now.

Tellis12 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 12:05pm
post #7 of 18

I think your cakes are great, and your technique looks pretty clean. Your bc is smooth and straight. I would just keep trying new things and different looks on your cakes.

As for the classes, I think it really depends on what ones you take and what instructor you get. I know there are some awesome Wilton instructors out there, but I didn't get one when I was taking classes. But I know if you get one you can learn a lot of great stuff. You might see if any other places in your area offer other classes that teach other things than the Wilton ones.

mom2leelee Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 12:16pm
post #8 of 18

I think your cakes look good, especially your gumpaste figures. I signed up for Wilton I and went to two classes and didn't go back because they weren't teaching me anything I didn't know, and truthfully they weren't "teaching" anything, just reading a book out loud. Then the instructor would walk around and say "good job" or try this but as long as you had somewhat semi mastered the technique she didn't offer any advice on how to improve. I was very frustrated.

I'm going to get sugarshacks DVDs and every time I go to Barnes and Noble I pick up another cake decorating book, usually off the sale rack.

cakelady15 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 12:40pm
post #9 of 18

I took all of the Wilton courses and for course II I got an instructor that really didn't want to be there and didn't know what she was doing. I complained and they refunded my money and directed me to a really good instructor who let me retake the class for free. I learned a lot from her. I had never decorated anything before when I took Course I so it was a lot of help. After that when I took the other ones I already knew some of the stuff, but the one thing I really did take away from the classes that made it worth the money was I learned the correct technique for making a lot of the flowers. That was really helpful. I guess it would be up to you how much you want to learn though. Definitely don't settle for a sub par instructor if you do want to take them though. icon_smile.gif

carmenid Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 12:50pm
post #10 of 18

Your wedding cake is awesome and your figurines were nice also. You do a great job.

The Wilton classes were really good for me but then I didn't know anything about cake decorating, I was true beginner. At this point , as someone else mentioned, I don't think they can teach you anything different than what you already know. Maybe you can look into getting the DVD's for specific techniques or even see if there are any cake clubs in your area?! I am a member of two and the workshops have helped me greatly. icon_smile.gif

mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 4:15am
post #11 of 18

Thanks for the advise.

I guess at this point I will probably try to find time to take the Wilton classes so I can learn some more piping techniques...

Someone suggested sugarshacks dvd's does she have a website that describes what they cover and how to order?

In the mean time I will practice, practice, practice whenever I get the chance...

kakeladi Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 2:37pm
post #12 of 18

Yes she does......I believe she calls her DVDs etc "SugarEd"
If nothing else look her up on this site and pm her OR do a google search.

sweetcakes Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 3:07pm
post #13 of 18

you do very nice cakes. nice sharp edges, smooth icing and creative. the only suggestion i have is on your shells. i would like to see them more defined, flared at the front end but more of a tail visible, and dont bunch them up so close. im a real stickler on this when i teach my wilton classes, ( i hope im one of the good instructors icon_smile.gificon_redface.gif )

I always show what not to do, by bunching them up and refer to them as new peterbilt trucks coming out of the factory (they make them here in town) all stacked up on the back of each other, there is no shape to shells like this. take a look at my shells and you;ll understand what i mean, otherwise very nice cakes.

If you decide to take classes, find an instructor with experience, and take a look of some of her cakes if you can.

mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 1:46pm
post #14 of 18

Thank you all for the comments! I appreciate it! Sweet cakes thanks for the info about my shells... I struggle with those... I will try adding some more space...

I love getting specific feedback like this... I have a cake due Wed or Sat... and I am making a royal or white choco tiara for it....

I am just glad that my clients are pretty laid back so far...

tripleD Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 1:55pm
post #15 of 18

I think you do a great job. All it takes is practice. I have never taken classes. just look at what everyone else does ask questions read articles.
I love what I do so as long as its in your heart you can do it.
good luck thumbs_up.gif

jjandhope Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 1:59pm
post #16 of 18

Learn to take really good photos. Stage your cakes and light them naturally and they will be very tempting to a buyer...
thumbs_up.gif

mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 2:02pm
post #17 of 18

Can you give more specific info about staging for photos? I don't really have a way to get them in natural light as I don't have any big windows. Should I try using different lighting?

jjandhope Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 5:41am
post #18 of 18

well, first of all, don't look at mine since Im not too good at it either. I wanted to learn how too, and started this thread and got some good advice:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-601431.html

Someone even sent me a tutorial on it..its posted there on the thread. It helped a lot. My pics are better..but is doesnt show because I havent figured out how to get them on CC without reducing the quality considerably.

But anyway..read that info. And light really does make a lot of difference! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%