What Can Go Wrong, Will Go Wrong

Decorating By tomsmom245 Updated 22 Sep 2008 , 6:14pm by tomsmom245

tomsmom245 Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 4:00am
post #1 of 6

I was so excited to try a pillow cake. HAHAHAHA! I have a 2 year old and a 7 month old. I swear my kids have cake-dar (cake radar). Any time I plan to use naptime for cake use, someone refuses to nap.

So, I was going to pull a late night and get my cake done for Saturday. My son ends up sick! So, I got to sit and hold my sick 2 year old and think about how I wanted to work on this cake.

Now, it was a 2 tier pillow cake for a bridal shower. My friend wanted the cake in the bride's wedding colors (wine, gold and white).

MMF seems to hate dark colors. I had 3 hours saturday morning to get this cake done. I make the mmf and get down to business. Carve my bottom tier and put white mmf on the it. It looks awesome. I put all the accents and I love it.

Son interrupts me about 50 times.

Then comes the top tier (I have 40 mintues to finish). She wanted to top pillow plain and had a glass shoe to go on top. All I needed to do was cover in wine colored mmf. It was SOOOOO sticky and leathery at the same time. Everytime I use a dark color in mmf I have a serious problem with this and I even use Americolor.

I get everything stacked and go to dust everything with luster dust. I used a new brush and a lot of the bristles were coming out and sticking to the cake!! The top cake is still pretty cold from carving. So, when I covered it with sticky fondant the condensation from the cold cake causes it to be even stickier. It had bubbles and the fondant tore in several places. When I stacked it the sticky fondant stuck to my finger and tore at the bottom on one side.

I could go on, but I am stressing just remembering all the problems I had. I hate the shape of the top pillow. I also think it just plain looks like crap. I think I need to wait until my kids are older before I take on anything other than a sheet cake!

Edited to add that I did get it to the shower in time and in one piece.
LL

5 replies
indydebi Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 4:18am
post #2 of 6

I couldn't help but laugh as I read yoru post! Your description of the top pillow reminded me of some of my escapades with Rice Krispies treats!! icon_lol.gif

But it looks WAY better than anything I could do in this regard! thumbs_up.gif You did a great job! I'd never know you had a problem.

tomsmom245 Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 4:29am
post #3 of 6

Thanks Debi! I am just hopeful that the next cake goes a lot easier. I am hopeful that it doesn't end up here in this forum since it's the same bride's wedding cake!

A compliment from you sure boosts my confidence icon_biggrin.gif

Deb_ Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 6

tomsmom, I used to have the same type of problems trying to find a couple of hrs. here and there during nap times, to do my cakes. Now both of my kids are away at college and I have a LOT of free time, but I still end up having issues with some things.
I think we're our own worst critics, we know every little bubble, mark and dent in our cakes. I think your cake looks great and I'm sure nobody at the shower saw any of the flaws that you saw.
It's so hard to care for 2 little ones and a house, and do cakes. I really limited myself when the kids were young, just 1 or maybe 2 cakes in a week. I found if I did more than that I didn't enjoy it as much.
Don't worry, it gets easier. BTW enjoy those 2 little ones, I so miss those years
icon_cry.gif

sari66 Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 7:46pm
post #5 of 6

LOL sorry to laugh but your story made me do it! As for your cake it came out great!

tomsmom245 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 6:14pm
post #6 of 6

I'm glad I could make you laugh icon_smile.gif I'm kinda getting used to the ridiculousness of my cake attempts. I swear that every cake I have tried to make since having my 2 year old has had some sort of small disaster attached to it! I think I should start engineering my cakes with disasters in mind! Maybe that will make them more predictable ROFL!!

Everyone at the shower loved the cake and thought it was delicious, so really that is all that matters now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%