Have Questions About Smbc/imbc...

Decorating By yummymummy Updated 22 Sep 2008 , 2:28pm by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 3:19am
post #1 of 8

Hi all! Gosh, I feel like I haven't posted in forever! I've taken a much needed vacation, but now I'm ready for my next cake. thumbs_up.gif My SIL wants a cake to feed 20 people and has requested BC. I would love to try IMBC or SMBC, but have some questions.

1. I've heard this type of BC is quite buttery...does it taste like your just eating sweet butter? icon_razz.gif

2. Is it as sweet as regular bc?

3. I usually use sugarshack's smoothing methods, but I'm assuming that will not work for this because it's non-crusting. What's your favorite way to smooth?

4. I'm concerned about melting. Will it be stable and safe enough un-refrigerated for a few hours?

5. And finally, would you consider it easy to work with? Any recipe recommendations?

Thanks so much to all who take time to answer my questions! I've been popping in and out of CC during my vaca...just can't stay away too long! icon_wink.gif

7 replies
beemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beemarie Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 3:48am
post #2 of 8

I only use SMBC (I used to use IMBC but I found Melyssa's SMBC recipe, and I find it much easier to make and it is simply delicious! http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6927-Very-Vanilla-Swiss-Meringue-Buttercream.html)

1. First, it is buttery, but I don't think too much so. People absolutely love it! For our children, they do prefer a sweeter bc, and not so buttery, so I do half SMBC and half WBH House BC, which is a very good recipe in itself, too. They love that combo.

2. It is not nearly as sweet as rebular bc, and I find people love that fact (well, except the little ones!).

3. I use the upsidedown smoothing technique (http://members.nuvox.net/~zt.proicer/message/saved/UpsideDownIcing.htm). I have gotten pretty good at it....at first it took me a while to frost this way, but I do it all the time now, and my cakes come out pretty smooth. If I don't use this technique, it takes me forever to smooth a bc cake--one day I will get better!

4. I use SMBC (or in the past IMBC) all the time, and I did a wedding in the middle of August, and it was just fine. I just had it in the fridge for a few hours before hand, and I make sure it is out of the fridge for at least an hour before serving (the wedding was several hours out of the fridge before cutting--it held up great). You want it to come to room temp, as it is hard kinda like butter when it comes straight from the fridge.

5. You can't go wrong with Melysa's SMBC recipe! It is simply fabulous!

I hope this helps! I am sure you will get other replies to help you make your decision icon_smile.gif

beemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beemarie Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 3:50am
post #3 of 8

For some reason the link for the upsidedown technique didn't work. I'll try again...

http://members.nuvox.net/~zt.proicer/message/saved/UpsideDownIcing.htm

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 5:27am
post #4 of 8

Two fantastic threads on using IMBC and SMBC:

This one on IMBC has lots of decorating tips, including smoothing techniques. Yeah! http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=404613&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

And a fantastic SMBC thread, complete with step-by-step pics of how it's made, from jkalman: http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=594605&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=smbc&&start=0

As for kids, I don't think it's as much as they prefer sweeter icing, as they prefer what they are used to. And they are used to powdered sugar icing of course! My dd of course benefits from many IMBC cakes and loves it. Some friends' kids were over and they all had cupcakes, and of course those kids were like: "This frosting has BUTTER in it, doesn't it??" I didn't know if that was a compliment or a complaint icon_rolleyes.gif. Meanwhile my dd had just finished licking the last bit of icing off of her cupcake. thumbs_up.gif

yummymummy Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 10:43am
post #5 of 8

Thanks so much everyone! I'll check out those threads and maybe I'll make a batch up just to see for myself. It really does sound deilicious! icon_smile.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 5:12am
post #6 of 8

If you ever decide it tastes too sweet or buttery, either a) add more vanilla (or other flavoring) or b) really simple, add some bittersweet chocolate (melted and completely cooled but still pourable)...about 1/8-1/4 cup. Oh dear me is that good!

yummymummy Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 11:15am
post #7 of 8

I'll do that! I'm going to try to make it today if my son and daughter allow mommy to have some moments of peace! I'll let you know how it turns out! Thanks! icon_smile.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 2:28pm
post #8 of 8

if you don't like the buttery taste (like me) use unsalted butter and shortening. I use 2/3 unsalted butter and 1/3 shortening. icon_smile.gif

good luck. i love SMBC. it's like ice cream! on cake! what could be better? icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%