Fall Leaf Cookies-Is There A Rolled Spice Cookie Recipe?

Baking By CookiesByMiMi Updated 20 Oct 2008 , 5:57pm by penguinprincess

CookiesByMiMi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiesByMiMi Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 2:18am
post #1 of 19

I want to make some fall leaf cookies but is there a molasses or spice cookie recipe out there?

Thanks!!

18 replies
ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 2:36am
post #2 of 19

You beat me to the question!!! I too am looking for a fall cookie recipe. I have some real maple syrup and thought that maybe I could use this. I found a recipe for Maple Leaf Butter cookies at Epicurious.com. I think that I might try these.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/MAPLE-LEAF-BUTTER-COOKIES-

CookiesByMiMi Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 3:27am
post #3 of 19

Thank you!!

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 8:30am
post #4 of 19

Karen has a great spice cookie on her site:

http://www.karenscookies.net/shop/recipes/info_11.html#recipe06

SweetDreamsAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreamsAT Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 1:49pm
post #5 of 19

I use my regular sugar cookie recipe and add pumpkin pie spice.

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 2:52am
post #6 of 19

I just tried this recipe from my "Flavors of Fall" cookbook from Gooseberry Patch. I didn't roll them just because I didn't feel like it but they would roll out really nicely I think. Plus they were very yummy!! thumbs_up.gif

Pumpkin Spice Sugar Cookies

2-3/4 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 c butter, softened
1-1/2 c powdered sugar
2 tsp pumpkin spice
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg

Combine flour and baking soda; set aside. In another bowl, blend butter and powdered sugar together; add pumpkin pie spice, vanilla, and egg. Mix in flour mixture; blend well. Cover dough and refrigerate for 2 hours. Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface; cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Bake at 350 on ungreased baking sheets until golden, about 8 minutes. Makes about 2 dz.

Like I said, I didn't roll them out because I didn't feel like waiting for 2 hours for them to chill. icon_razz.gif They were very yummy. I didn't put any icing on them because I didn't know what to use. Any suggestions? I love the wilton maple leaf cookie cutters and would love any excuse to buy them!! icon_lol.gif

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 6:50am
post #7 of 19

thanks for the recipe Michelle, I am putting on my to-do list.

Too bad at the rate im going, the length of my existing list and the hours in a day, ill probably get to it by next fall !! !

thanks all the same!

Jessika

CookiesByMiMi Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 1:24am
post #8 of 19

Thanks!! I am going to have to get started on my cookies now!!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 10:50pm
post #9 of 19

They all sound good! icon_biggrin.gif

justgale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justgale Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 5:30pm
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALVARGA

You beat me to the question!!! I too am looking for a fall cookie recipe. I have some real maple syrup and thought that maybe I could use this. I found a recipe for Maple Leaf Butter cookies at Epicurious.com. I think that I might try these.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/MAPLE-LEAF-BUTTER-COOKIES-

I just made some of these. They don't have a real strong maple flavor, but that may be due to my cold. They taste good and bake up real pretty. I used the wilton oak and maple leaf cookie cutters and then added my own vaining with a pizza cutter. I think I'm going to try glazing some with fall colors and then I'll try to post a picture.
Sherri

khufstetler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khufstetler Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 2:03pm
post #11 of 19

Here is the one I use... roll them out and they bake just like NFSC! THey are NOT good alone, but decorated or glazed they are amazing!

2 1/2 c all-purpose flour
1/8 t salt
1/2 t cream of tartar
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t nutmeg
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 c Crisco shortening
1/4 c unsalted butter, room temperature
1 c sugar
1 egg
1/2 c milk

Sift together all dry ingredients. In KA cream together shortening, butter & sugar, add egg & milk. Mix in flour mixture in small batches.
Roll out, chill dough and cut away!

The recipe said to brush with egg whites and sprinkle on cinnamon sugar before baking, but I decorate them or glaze them.

They tast alot like SNickerdoodles.
HTH!

cakecookingnut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecookingnut Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 2:27pm
post #12 of 19

thanks for the recipes everyone. I can't wait to make some of these

justgale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justgale Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 2:54am
post #13 of 19

It's not a spice cookie but here is the finished picture of the maple leaf butter cookies. The tan ones are the ones I left plain. For the glaze I painted on red, yellow and red with a brush and kind of blended it together.
Sherri
LL

sugarycreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarycreations Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 2:13am
post #14 of 19

The Good Housekeeping site has a recipe for Aunt Martha's Nutmeg Bells.
Have used that recipe for several years. All I can say is everybody finds them addictive. The nutmeg is subtle.

Thanks for the great recipes. Have to get busy trying them. icon_biggrin.gif

Karen, I spent quite a bit of time on your website & was VERY impressed. Have made a list of goodies I'm hoping to order soon from there.

sugarycreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarycreations Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 4:51pm
post #15 of 19

Have used that recipe for several years. All I can say is everybody finds them addictive. The nutmeg is subtle.

Karen, I spent quite a bit of time on your website & was VERY impressed. Have made a list of goodies I'm hoping to order soon from there.

penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 5:18pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarycreations

The nutmeg balls sound good-- would you mind sharing the recipe? I wend to good housekeeping and could not find the recipe. I would love to try it!

pkinkema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pkinkema Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 5:42pm
post #17 of 19

Wow! Sounds yummy. I would like the recipe, too!

Must smell heavenly baking!

hsc5690 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsc5690 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 5:51pm
post #18 of 19

Aunt Martha's Nutmeg Bells
From Good Housekeeping
triple-tested at the Good Housekeeping Research Institute

INGREDIENTS conv. chart U.S. Metric
2 cup(s) sugar
1 cup(s) butter (no substitutions), softened
2 large eggs
2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
3 1/2 cup(s) all purpose flour
4 teaspoon(s) baking powder
1 teaspoon(s) salt
1 teaspoon(s) ground nutmeg
Ornamental Frosting (optional)
DIRECTIONSIn large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat sugar and butter until creamy, about 2 minutes. Reduce speed to low; beat in eggs and vanilla until blended. Gradually beat in flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg until well blended, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula.
Divide dough in thirds; flatten each into a disk. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate 2 hours or until dough is firm enough to roll. (Or freeze for 30 minutes.)
Preheat oven to 350° F. On lightly floured surface, with floured rolling pin, roll 1 piece of dough 1/8-inch thick. With floured 3 1/2-inch bell-shaped cookie cutter, cut dough into as many cookies as possible; wrap and refrigerate trimmings. Place cookies, 1 inch apart, on ungreased large cookie sheet.
Bake cookies 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer cookies to wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining dough and trimmings.
When cookies are cool, prepare Ornamental Frosting if you like; use to decorate cookies as desired. Set cookies aside to allow frosting to dry completely, about 1 hour. Store cookies in tightly covered container (with waxed paper between layers if decorated) at room temperature up to 2 weeks, or in freezer up to 3 months

penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 5:57pm
post #19 of 19

Thank you so much! Wow ! that was fast! Thank you again for sharing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%