Help! First Time Making Mmf

Decorating By tannersmom Updated 21 Sep 2008 , 3:48pm by paulstonia

tannersmom Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 12:38am
post #1 of 11

I need some help please. I'm making MMF for the first time and I'd like to know what texture should it be in after you knead it? Should it be a little sticky. Dry? Please help if you can.

Steph

10 replies
julitre1 Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 2:39am
post #2 of 11

It will be sticky. Just keep kneading in powder sugar to get it to a smooth, powdering consistency. It shouldn't be dry, it should be good and pliable. HTH

linedancer Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 2:46am
post #3 of 11

Hi Steph,

I use Rhonda's Ultimate MMF recipe. It is not sticky and it isn't dry. When you are done kneading, it should be smooth and somewhat soft. As it cools, it becomes more solid. Be sure and grease it with vegetable shortening and double wrap in plastic wrap. Then put in zip lock bag and squish all the air out of it. You can use it after a few hours, but I like mine to sit for a few days. I just like the texture better.

HTH

carmenid Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 2:54am
post #4 of 11

not sticky for me, just like regular store bought fondant.

Linedancer, what is the Rhonda's Ultimate MMF recipe? where can I get it from?

amazinggracecakedesigns Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 3:07am
post #5 of 11

Should feel like play-doh and not sticky. Good luck!!! I am a BC user and only use fondant when I have to. icon_biggrin.gif

cous2010 Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 3:11am
post #6 of 11

Great question, Steph!

I tried making MMF for the first time a few weeks ago and it turned out terrible! I added so much powdered sugar and it still stuck EVERYWHERE! I thought it might have been because of the humidity (South Texas). Maybe I'll try Rhonda's recipe too...if I can find it.

linedancer Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 3:13am
post #7 of 11

Rhonda's Ultimate MMF is right here on CC:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3183-Rhondas-Ultimate-MMF.html

I really like it and haven't used any thing else for my cookies for almost a year icon_smile.gif

DebraDough Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 3:28am
post #8 of 11

I'm so weird, I just mix until I get what I want. I even mix the candy clay with the MMF. It gives it a bit of oil and just makes a nice modeling texture. I also use corn starch and powdered sugar to try and get it where I want it. I think the main thing is to not be afraid to vary from the recipe when needed and work until you get it where you can work with it. I have friends who like theres way more stiff or soft than I do mine. . I grew up in a humid climate and it will certainly mess with some recipes. Good luck and just remember ...it only costs a couple of dollars for so much FUN. Blessings, Debra

tannersmom Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 2:58pm
post #9 of 11

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I finally got it the consistency that I could work with. I used Rhonda's receipe for mmf and it taste GOOD!. Much better than wilton's . Sorry to all that likes wilton's better. I'm in the process now of working with the mmf to cover a cake. Wish me luck. And ck out the recipes posted on the site. There are some excellent ones!!!!

STephanie

MacsMom Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 3:12pm
post #10 of 11

With Rhonda's, you should use popcorn salt or grind it yourself in a coffee grinder. I've found crystals developing in my MMF leaving dark spots or a pock-marked cake. I use a full teaspoon as I think it really helps cut the sweetness better (after a cousin said he liked it but that it was too sweet for his palette).

I also use 1 tablespoon of glycerine instead of 2 t corn syrup. I can cover any shape with this pliable substitute.

And lastly, try using LoRann flavored oils. I use a dram of butter flavoring and my MMF tastes just like BC! (Although one friend said it was similar to candy corn).

paulstonia Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 3:48pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tannersmom

Sorry to all that likes wilton's better STephanie

Is there someone out there that actually like the taste of wilton fondant icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%