How Do I Make Red Or Black Buttercream Color Truth?

Decorating By greencake Updated 21 Sep 2008 , 1:44pm by tiggy2

greencake Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 12:28am
post #1 of 6

the red color never looks like red?the black looks like grey.help icon_sad.gif

5 replies
SeriousCakes Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 1:18am
post #2 of 6

I had to make a fire truck and I used a lot of 3 different colors to get what I needed, (all Wilton) no-taste red, red-red, and burgandy. For black I always use chocolate frosting and add plenty of black, then a pinch of salt.

Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 2:31am
post #3 of 6

I do it the easy way â I CHEAT icon_biggrin.gif I use Dixieâs Icing pre-made pre-colored icing for all of my red and black. Those are the two colors that came in the sample kit, and thatâs actually what finalized my decision to start using Dixieâs Icing. All of their icing is wonderful to work, but their RED and BLACK pre-mixed colors are the best. They sell 20 pre-mixed colors, but I still mix all of my other colors myself, because it takes colors so nicely. I just canât get a really good Black or Red myself, so I just buy those two.

kakeladi Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 2:40am
post #4 of 6

I know there are many posts on this but I just tried a search and came up empty handedicon_sad.gif I am a search idiot icon_sad.gif

Any dark color (brown, navy blue, red, black etc) all need to be made at least the night before using so the color has time to develop.
Start w/a base color (instead of white) like for red use yellow, orange, or pink then add your red gel. AmeriColor is a good one. I have good luck w/it.
I have also used UNsweetened KoolAid if your cake flavor can stand cherry or strawberry etc....yes, it does flavor it in addition to coloring it. Just stir in about 1 teaspoonn per cup of icing along w/your gel/paste. Again, this needs to be done at least the night before using. When you look at it in the a.m. it will be spotted and you all will think I'm nuts - it's ruined.....never fear; just stir it well.

Black: when you have a little bit of icing (like 2 T to 1/4 C) leftover put *ALL* colors together in a con tainer; keep in the fzr until you have n eed for black; mix up these colors......it will be an ugly cameo color; never fearicon_smile.gif Now add your black gel. It won't take near as much paste/gel as if you tried to start from white.
Many people use cocoa powder in there brown & black. No problem icon_smile.gif Helps color & flavor it.
Don't worry if black looks dk gray; by the time it sits on the cake (exposed to air) it will darken and people w/think it's black.

Frankyola Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 5:30am
post #5 of 6

I been trying a lot of tricks but at the end my fondant or icing looks gray and for the next day turn dark green, when it became dark green I add red but it turn like gray again and I let it set for next day and looks dark green again icon_cry.gificon_redface.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

tiggy2 Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 1:44pm
post #6 of 6

Dixie uses Chefmaster gel colors to get red and black and that is what I use (I buy it from her). You get red and black instantly and don't have to wait for the color to intensify. It takes very little color and there is no bad taste to it. Chefmaster is all I use now that I have taken Dixie's class.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%