Modeling Chocolate Clumping

Decorating By jigga Updated 8 Oct 2008 , 4:49pm by jigga

jigga Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 12:23am
post #1 of 9

i've tried to make modeling choc several times and w/diff corn syrups BUT when i add the corn syrup, it clumps EVERY TIME! I've even warmed the syrup b4 adding and it still clumped..i didnt burn the chocolate either.
what am i doing wrong?

8 replies
SeriousCakes Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 12:36am
post #2 of 9

Sounds like you're making it right. Did it look like this?

brilandken Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 12:38am
post #3 of 9

What kind of chocolate are you using? Did any water get into the mixture. Water will ruin chocolate. I have made modeling choco many times and the only two times I had issues was when I over heated the chocolate or when I had water in my measuring cup. HTH

jigga Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 1:22am
post #4 of 9

serious_cakes...THANK YOU SO SO MUCH! been searching high and low for answers and you provided it! since it clumped everytime, i ended up throwing every batch away not knowing i needed to knead it to get it smooth.
thanks again!

SeriousCakes Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 1:31am
post #5 of 9

No problem icon_biggrin.gif I was freaked out the first couple times I made it too, but now I love the stuff!

jigga Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 6:59pm
post #6 of 9

still didnt work... i dont know what i'm doing wrong...
i used "super" white merck's chocolate...
it was ok when i kneaded it BUT when i rolled it..it kept crumbling on the sides and broke in half when i picked it up...
I know i didnt burn the chocolate because i checked the temp.

tracycakes Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 7:32pm
post #7 of 9

I'm not familiar with Merck's chocolate. I've made quite a few batches over the last several weeks using Baker's brand chocolate, both dark and semi-sweet. Are you letting it age overnight in the fridge? You have to knead it really well to get it soft and pliable but it will dry hard again after it sits. Are you trying to get it really thin? I haven't made flowers using it so I've not dried to roll it thin.

SeriousCakes Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 1:02am
post #8 of 9

Also how much chocolate is it? The ratio I've been using is 1 lb. candy melts to 1/3 c. corn syrup. The candy melts I use are by a company called 'Candymaker'.

jigga Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:49pm
post #9 of 9

i found a recipe that said white chocolate doesnt need as much corn syrup and it said to use 1 1/2- 2 TB of light corn syrup on 7 .oz of white choc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%