2 Tier Disaster

Decorating By cakepanpam Updated 20 Sep 2008 , 11:49pm by fiddlesticks

cakepanpam Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 10:21pm
post #1 of 13

I don't know what happened with this cake. I made a 2 tier, bottom 8 inch, top 6 inch. I used the stacked construction and I added the dowel rods. The next day I delivered the cake to the lady and she loved it, it looked perfectly fine. After a couple of hours, I received a call from the lady saying that her cake had fell apart. I offered to go to her house and take a look at the cake. When I got there the 6 inch was sitting on a plate and was not attached to the 8 inch cake, which was still in the cake box. The 6 inch looked fine except for the side, it looked like it had been smashed a little. I took a look at the 8 inch that was still in the box and it looked as if it had been dropped. It had big splits in the middle of the cake and the sides looked busted. I am just wondering if anybody knows if it could have been my fault with the dowel rods or if it may have been something to do with the cake leaning in her back seat or if it may have been dropped. I told her that I couldn't accept her check and She was very, very nice to me telling me to keep my money and that it wasn't my fault, I just don't understand what happened because I have done lot's of tiered cakes and this has never happened to me before.

12 replies
leepat Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 10:41pm
post #2 of 13

Never let a customer set a 2 tier cake in the back seat. It really will destroy a cake. It should sit level. At least that is my guess.

Deb_ Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 10:45pm
post #3 of 13

It certainly sounds like the cake was dropped or mishandled. Did the lady offer any explanation as to how the cake became separated, i.e. the 6"on a different plate and the 8" split?
If she had the box on her car seat my guess is she went around a corner or stopped short and the cake box fell off of the seat on to the car floor.

I'm glad she wasn't a jerk about it and that she didn't demand her money back. Sounds like she knows it was something she did and not at all your fault.

Deb_ Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 10:48pm
post #4 of 13

Meant to add:
Non cakemakers have no idea how careful they need to drive when they have a cake, especially a tiered cake in their car. I drive like a 95 yr old when I'm delivering a cake, I even have a sign that I put on the back of my van that says "Wedding Cake Delivery in Progress" and if the roads are really bumpy, I put my emergency flashers on and go real slow. icon_smile.gif

sari66 Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 11:01pm
post #5 of 13

It sounds like the cake was dropped, this cake size should have had no issues especially since you doweled it. The fact that it was taken apart makes me think she was the cause of it.

cakepanpam Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 11:02pm
post #6 of 13

The lady didn't offer any explanation as to how it had split. She and her husband were very nice to me and told me to keep the money but I am so devastated over this almost to the point of not wanting to do tired cakes for sell any more. This is the blue cake with the yellow flower's on it that I posted in gallery. The lady saw it on this site and had me to make it for her.

Kitagrl Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 11:05pm
post #7 of 13

I always make sure my tiered or 3D cakes for pickup are in a sturdy box whenever possible (unless the base is huge, which is occasionally) and I actually go out to the car with the person and make sure the cake is sitting level. Either it sits on someone's lap, or we prop things under it to keep it level on the seat, or I check their trunk or back of SUV to make sure its flat. And I tell them to keep it level.

Also I always give my cakes out cold from the fridge, it makes them firm and sturdy and the vibration from the car
will not as easily shake cracks into it.

summernoelle Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 11:07pm
post #8 of 13

Cakes should always be put on a flat surface, never on a seat or an incline.
But that being said, once a cake is in someone else's possession, it's their responsibility. You have no way of knowing if she dropped it, or what happened!

Kitagrl Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 11:08pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

But that being said, once a cake is in someone else's possession, it's their responsibility. You have no way of knowing if she dropped it, or what happened!

It does work on a seat, but has to have a jacket or something under the box to level it, and the person must be warned to keep it level and drive carefully.

summernoelle Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 11:11pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

It does work on a seat, but has to have a jacket or something under the box to level it, and the person must be warned to keep it level and drive carefully.

Who knew! thumbs_up.gif

I hate delivering cakes. Most of the time I can get people to pick them up by pricing delivery too high, but the last two weeks I've had to do it and I drive about 25mph getting there. Butterflies in stomach the whole time!

Kitagrl Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 11:35pm
post #11 of 13

Cold cakes help alot too, my stomach is much calmer with a firm, cold cake than a warm jiggly one....

doitallmom Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 11:43pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks for the tips about a chilled cake as opposed to a "jiggly" one!!

fiddlesticks Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 11:49pm
post #13 of 13

Im so glad to read the tips on this thread.I have my first stacked cake comming up in less then 2 weeks and Im kind of stressed about it.
But also excited at the same time !
Im so sorry you had a problem. But at least the couple were nice about it and didnt yell at you and demand their money back.
If its bothering you that you kept the money maybe you can offer them a free cake in a week or so just because ? Im talking about just baking a simple style cake and call and ask if you can drop it off for them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%