16.7Lbs Of Icing?????

Decorating By weefoot Updated 20 Sep 2008 , 8:33pm by all4cake

weefoot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weefoot Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 5

I just got a quote from a store(who shall remain nameless) on their icing. They have a whipped icing in a 16.7lb bucket for around $18.00. Before I consider this how much icing is that? How many sheet cakes will it cover? I can't seem to wrap my brain around it. They also have regular icing in a 28lb bucket for around $27. Has anyone used this?

4 replies
ladyhawk1nlm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyhawk1nlm Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 5

I have used both of them and they are good..they do sell smaller buckets from 5-13.00, and when you dont have time to make your own this sure helps hth later Natalie

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 7:59pm
post #3 of 5

why wouldn't you make your own? Grocery stores have a very distinctive flavored icing. Maybe its because i don't care for the grocery icing but i wouldn't want my cake to be mistaken for one of theirs

As far as how many cakes you can ice with that i would say comfortably an average size wedding cake with decorations, but of course that depends on how much icing you put on.

weefoot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weefoot Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 8:15pm
post #4 of 5

I agree. I would normally make my own. But someone likes the whipped topping like they have at one of the stores. I don't really know how to duplicate it. I thought this might be easier. I do agree with you on not wanting my cake to be mistaken for one of theirs. But in this case it won't be a problem since they are having someone else make them a small wedding cake and all they want from me are sheet cakes. If someone has a recipe for the whipped icing that would be great. Just throwing that out there.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 8:33pm
post #5 of 5

Hmmmmm...I used 15lb. buckets(5gallon sized) of whipped icing(Bettercreme). I was able to fill and ice around 25, 10" round, 2-layer cakes. 1/2 sheets was around 18.

The stuff keeps frozen for about a year...so divvy it up into smaller containers...use it for fillings too by incorporating other shelf stable ingredients into it...the stuff I get is shelf stable for up to 5 days and "ambient room temperature"(below 80).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%