Refridgerate Red Velvet W/ Creamcheese Icing?

Decorating By Melan Updated 29 Sep 2008 , 1:38am by becklynn

Melan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melan Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 6:47pm
post #1 of 10

Does red velvet cake need to be in the fridge? What about the cream cheese frosting? Also, will the red from the cake bleed onto the cream cheese icing?

I feel like these are silly questions... but at least I can ask the experts!

9 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 8:03pm
post #2 of 10

If you are making cream cheese icing with real cream cheese then yes you are safer to put it in the fridge, now there are some who say you dont have to, but i would rather be cautious then not.

The cake shouldn't have to be refrigerated, unless its for the filling or icing. As far as bleeding, i've never had that problem with it.

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 12:09am
post #3 of 10

peg818,
Just because of the way you said "with real cream cheese", I'm wondering is there another type of recipe for cream cheese icing? I live where cottage food laws apply, so I have never offered cream cheese icing because of the refrigeration issue. But if there were a way to flavor something else to taste like it...... icon_lol.gif

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 1:42pm
post #4 of 10

Lorianne oils makes a candy flavoring that is cream cheese. That some people use, others say it tastes great, i personally don't know, as i avoid using cr ch if at all possible. Some also say that the sugar content in a cr ch icing will prevent the cr ch from spoiling so fast. But i'm from the training that if you have any doubt about a product its better to refrigerate then leave it out. I also throw out food if i have any doubt about whether or not its good. Personally i would rather throw something away then take the chance on making someone sick.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 4:20pm
post #5 of 10

Yes, refrigerate it, and no, the color will not bleed.

I have never used the cheesecake flavored oil, can't imagine that it would be as good as real cc icing but I could be wrong!

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 9:44pm
post #6 of 10

I'll let you know! I'm going to attempt this on a red velvet cake next week. I have to do a grooms cake - a 2 layer 12x18 with a 3D car on top. No way can I fit this in my fridge! I am paranoid about the cream cheese icing sitting out!! I know! I know! Red velvet cake without cream cheese icing is so wrong! But I bought the Lorann cheesecake flavoring and I am hoping for the best! I wish they wanted chocolate!
*Opinion: Do you think I should use any vanilla flavoring with the cheesecake flavoring???
Thanks icon_smile.gif

becklynn Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 9:45pm
post #7 of 10

I'll let you know! I'm going to attempt this on a red velvet cake next week. I have to do a grooms cake - a 2 layer 12x18 with a 3D car on top. No way can I fit this in my fridge! I am paranoid about the cream cheese icing sitting out!! I know! I know! Red velvet cake without cream cheese icing is so wrong! But I bought the Lorann cheesecake flavoring and I am hoping for the best! I wish they wanted chocolate!
*Opinion: Do you think I should use any vanilla flavoring with the cheesecake flavoring???
Thanks icon_smile.gif

becklynn Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 12:15am
post #8 of 10

Success! I made sugarshack's buttercream icing and substituted butter for half of the shortening. Then I used the Lorann cheesecake oil (about 4 tsps.) in place of the flavoring. It came out delicious! Not as good as real cream cheese icing, but it will work in a pinch!!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 1:09am
post #9 of 10

Using large amounts of LorAnn's cheese cake flavoring can get pretty pricey. icon_sad.gif

www.nationalflavors.com has cream cheese flavoring (and sells wholesale to the public).

HTH

becklynn Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 1:38am
post #10 of 10

JanH
Thanks for the tip!

Love your avatar! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%