Soupy Meringue - I Hate Humidity!!!!!!!

Decorating By Luby Updated 22 Sep 2008 , 11:57pm by Granpam

Luby Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 6:11pm
post #1 of 5

The "pie" thread inspired me to try Bettinashoe's recipe for Coconut Cream Pie, but the humidity here today is off the charts.

My beautiful meringue turned into a soupy mess-GRRRRRRRRRR icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

Does anyone have a recipe for meringue that is not affected by humidity?

4 replies
Cakepro Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 2:17am
post #2 of 5

Doesn't your house have air conditioning? Air conditioning removes humidity from our homes. Unless you're living with fans and open windows, your meringue should not have been adversely affected indoors.

I never have problems with it and I live on the Gulf Coast.

Luby Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 1:38pm
post #3 of 5

Yes - we have central A/c and, in fact, I turned the thermostat down to 70 degrees to try and ensure as little humidity as possible, but it still softened.

Are you saying it was "user error" icon_lol.gif
I may have beat it too long after adding the sugar, but I just attributed the problem to humidity.

Cakepro Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 11:46pm
post #4 of 5

LOL - no, it can't be "user error" - I think it was the sugar's fault! icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

Granpam Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 11:57pm
post #5 of 5

Just like royal icing everything must be grease free to get a good stiff meringue. I also add cream of tartar and beat my egg whites until it has soft peaks before adding the sugar a little at a time. then beat until stiff peaks. HTH.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%