Exotic/unusual Pets

Lounge By mbelgard Updated 25 Sep 2008 , 5:10am by Cakenicing4u

mbelgard Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 5:14pm
post #1 of 24

We're about to get our second non traditional pet and that got me wondering what others on CC have that might be different.



We have an iguana that my brother gave the kids a year ago. My brother took him in as a rescue project and once he was restored to health was looking for a home for him.

That same brother recently purchased an albino corn snake that he's going to give to my five year old. We live several hours from him so we have to wait till someone can either get up here or down there while it's warm enough for a reptile to travel.


So what does everyone else have?

23 replies
kimberlina25 Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 6:02pm
post #2 of 24

i am never quite sure what people mean by "exotic or unusual", but my sister has ferrets. They are kinda unusual, a lot of people don't know alot about them, and they have such incredible personalities!

mbelgard Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 9:03pm
post #3 of 24

Ferrets would count with me, it isn't what I would consider a traditional or normal pet. And they are neat.

Bijoudelanuit Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 9:30pm
post #4 of 24

I have a rabbit, which I don't actually consider exotic or unusual; but at Cornell when we go for a vet appt he's classified as an exotic! Midnight is in my avatar- I was using up a roll of film a couple of years ago from my sisters wedding and decided just to snap pictures of the flowers and he jumped into frame for the perfect shot!

Rabbits make wonderful pets! A friend of mine is the head of a local rabbit rescue. If anyone would like more information on rabbits you can visit their website:

http://www.therabbitresource.org/

ValMommytoDanny Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 9:59pm
post #5 of 24

Growing up I had a raccoon. His name was snoopy. Hmmm... scorpions, goats, swans, ducks, chickens, dogs, cats, fish, crabs, etc...

I love animals.... but Snoopy holds a special place in my heart.

rcs Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 2:05am
post #6 of 24

Okay, I have ferrets...seven at the moment. They are so much fun. Each has a different personality. All are extremely curious and playful. My son also has a pet rabbit. A very spoiled rabbit. Yes, they can be housebroken! He named her Brittany because she has long eyelashes..Um, okay.

joshalow Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 2:20am
post #7 of 24

We have a couple of Sugar Gliders. They make wonderful pets. They have the cutest little faces. They have a tiny little bark like a chihuahua. They're very social animals

Bijoudelanuit Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 2:24am
post #8 of 24

Mine is a very spoiled bunny too! Just this week I bought him his own carpet . He has a cage, but isn't actually locked in. His cage has his litterbox, food, etc... but he's free running. I can tell he loves his new carpet because he hasn't left it since I finished cleaning/organizing his corner! It's so much fun to spoil the furbabies!

rcs Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 2:24am
post #9 of 24

Sugar Gliders are sooo cute. We've always wondered if they make good pets. They look so fragile!

Bijoudelanuit Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 2:30am
post #10 of 24

I've never heard of sugar gliders, but just googled them... they're so amazingly cute!!!

joshalow Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 2:41am
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcs

Sugar Gliders are sooo cute. We've always wondered if they make good pets. They look so fragile!




They are wonderful. If you get them as babies, and keep them in a bonding pouch, they will bond to you, and love being with you. We take ours everywhere- even to church shhh.gif

itsmylife Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 3:01am
post #12 of 24

We used to have 3 ball pythons. We would take them for 'walks' along the main drag of Virginia Beach when we lived there. Basically they would just curl around our necks or arms and 'hang out'.

I always loved the reactions we got from people when they would look and you could see if they were trying to figure out if they were real snakes. Then one of the snakes would move and they would freak.

indydebi Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 3:36am
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmylife

I always loved the reactions we got from people when they would look and you could see if they were trying to figure out if they were real snakes. Then one of the snakes would move and they would freak.



Oh that would be funny to watch .... from a long, safe distance of course! icon_lol.gif

Amia Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 3:43am
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmylife

We used to have 3 ball pythons. We would take them for 'walks' along the main drag of Virginia Beach when we lived there. Basically they would just curl around our necks or arms and 'hang out'.

I always loved the reactions we got from people when they would look and you could see if they were trying to figure out if they were real snakes. Then one of the snakes would move and they would freak.




That's so cool! I've always wanted a snake! I've settled for a small horse (my great dane...who is sitting in my lap looking at cakes with me.)

TheDomesticDiva Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 7:33pm
post #15 of 24

Growing up, we had so many weird animals--my ex-stepdad had a flair for the exotic. Anything unusal. We had 13 macaws (scarlets and blue and golds), 4 electus and 4 African Greys, and 1 sulfur-crested cockatoo, at one point, which I loved, and a fox squirrel that was half-blind and ran up his brown pants leg when it was a baby, so we kept it and named it Flip Wilson.. but the weirdest animals we had would have to be the 3 buffalo he bought for us. One for each of us. We took a field trip in 2nd grade to my house to see the buffalo. I didnt understand why I had to go to school just to come back to see the stupid buffalo LOL. We sold them after they got out of the pen and stood at the back door and wouldnt let us out. Looking back it was pretty funny, but at the time I was terrified!! We had about 40 texas longhorns at one point. I really wanted a giraffe but he couldnt get me one. HAHA geez, some people just have too much money.

As for now, we have a chihuahua and a cat. icon_smile.gif Nice and simple!

mbelgard Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 10:09pm
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDZA

Growing up, we had so many weird animals--my ex-stepdad had a flair for the exotic. Anything unusal. We had 13 macaws (scarlets and blue and golds), 4 electus and 4 African Greys, and 1 sulfur-crested cockatoo, at one point, which I loved, and a fox squirrel that was half-blind and ran up his brown pants leg when it was a baby, so we kept it and named it Flip Wilson.. but the weirdest animals we had would have to be the 3 buffalo he bought for us. One for each of us. We took a field trip in 2nd grade to my house to see the buffalo. I didnt understand why I had to go to school just to come back to see the stupid buffalo LOL. We sold them after they got out of the pen and stood at the back door and wouldnt let us out. Looking back it was pretty funny, but at the time I was terrified!! We had about 40 texas longhorns at one point. I really wanted a giraffe but he couldnt get me one. HAHA geez, some people just have too much money.

As for now, we have a chihuahua and a cat. icon_smile.gif Nice and simple!





That's quite a list. icon_eek.gif

My kids had a similar reaction to buffalo this summer. The tribe up here keeps buffalo and the kids have seen them several times. My parents insisted on dragging my kids on a ride when we were visiting to go see the buffalo that are down by them and couldn't quite figure out why they weren't as impressed as my nephew had been. icon_rolleyes.gif

Mike1394 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 12:33am
post #17 of 24

Macaws specifically 4-Blue&Golds, 2-Greenwings, 2 Red Fronts, and 2 Scarlets that we raised from 19 days old. I just recently got out of the bird biz. A LOT of work

Mike

Tramski Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 2:53am
post #18 of 24

I have s small parrot, a Sun Conure, and his name is Sunny.
LL

Bijoudelanuit Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 3:32am
post #19 of 24

Sunny is so beautiful! I love his coloring!

redpanda Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 5:20am
post #20 of 24

At various times when I was a kid, we had a raccoon, a kangaroo rat, rabbits (including both dwarf and huge), a guinea pig, and many dogs and cats.

Before I was born, my parents had a pet skunk. He wasn't descented, but never sprayed -- until they gave him to my dad's boss, and the boss's neighbor's dogs went after him. Oooops!

Beckalita Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 3:56pm
post #21 of 24

I have a green quaker parrot and a pair of lovebirds.....

Tramski Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 9:30pm
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijoudelanuit

Sunny is so beautiful! I love his coloring!




Thank you, he is my baby icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 4:52am
post #23 of 24

We are a NO FUR family, although we tried ferrets and sugar gliders (and of course, hubby & kids were allergic).

We have 3 Blue & Gold Macaws, 1 Sun Conure, and a pair of dilute Fischer's lovebirds. At one time I bred lovebirds and had dozens, but no more.

I am thinking of checking out the local animal shelters to see if any large macaws need new homes after Hurricane Ike. I really want to add a Harlequin and a Scarlet to our flock.

Yes, it is REALLY LOUD in our household. LOL

~ Sherri

Cakenicing4u Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 5:10am
post #24 of 24

I'm just not a bird person!!

But in this lifetime, I've found myself surrounded by a menagerie that at one time or another has included some or all of the following (There were time's when I could count over 100 and still have heads to count)

4 Dogs
3 turtles
3 cats
1 dragon
14 snakes
3 ferrets
3 rabbits
RATS (most of the 100) some pets, some food
Mice
Frogs
Chickens
Chameleons
iguanas
Koi, Goldfish and guppies
I'm sure there were more I can't remember now!

I used to take one of the snakes to the grocery store with me... he can just hang out without moving much, so I'd take him along and run in to get milk and things... That look is just PRICELESS...

But, the absolute best experience I ever had was at a nursing home!!! We took our dog, a snake and a chameleon in to 'Visit' the residents... and a man that had a stroke bonded with the slow-moving chameleon... a woman in a wheelchair didn't want to give the snake back... aLOL.... she said that she had always wanted to touch one and it was like a dream come true... and she just didn't want to let go of a dream... AWWWW... But she did, eventually...
And The dog? Of course, he peed on the floor, like usual.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%