Now I'm Irritated!

Business By costumeczar Updated 23 Sep 2008 , 5:34pm by OhMyGanache

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 11

I just found a baker who's just started up in my town who's pretty much copied the wording from my website onto hers. I read the different pages from my site and the corresponding ones on hers, and it's the same description of services, cakes, pricing etc. with one or two words changed. I wrote to her to ask her to pelase rework her wording, but I doubt it will do any good. It pisses me off, though...

10 replies
amazinggracecakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amazinggracecakedesigns Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 11

That takes alot of nerve!! icon_eek.gif We have had several people on our website that keep coming back time after time and they keep looking at the same thing everytime. You would think if they were going to order, they would have done it by now. Also, someone we know keeps calling and asking questions about our product and prices and come to find out they are doing their own decorating on the side but didn't want to let us know about it. People have no consideration. We have to do our own leg work to start our businesses, they should have to do theirs!!! icon_mad.gif No matter what she takes from your website, the one thing she will never be able to do is make your cakes like you do!!! Good luck!! Let us know if you need bail money hehe!! icon_lol.gif

costumeczar Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks for the bail money icon_lol.gif I just delivered a cake and a groom's cake, and the whole way there I was fuming. The bride was there when I was unloading the cakes, and she just about wet her pants because she loved them so much...So now I feel better.

I doubt that the offender will change anythning on her site, but at least she knows I'm watching her! I've already watermarked all of my pictures before so that people can't steal them, but you can bet I'll be looking to see what pictures she has on her website.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 7:56pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsandtreats270

Let us know if you need bail money hehe!! icon_lol.gif

I can bake ya a cake with a file in it. icon_evil.gif

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 8:07pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsandtreats270

Let us know if you need bail money hehe!! icon_lol.gif

I can bake ya a cake with a file in it. icon_evil.gif

HAHAHAHA we all could incase one gets discovered.. better safe than sorry.. mwaaahhhaaahhhh

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 10:38pm
post #6 of 11

Next time you update your website you can add a code to the page that will disable 'right click'. Which means they can not right click and cut and paste from your page. Atleast it will make it harder for them to copy anything else.

I'm sorry this has happened to you. People suck!

costumeczar Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 1:56am
post #7 of 11

Yeah, the problem is that it isn't copied verbatim, it's has a few words changed here and there, but there are enough phrases with my name taken out and the other name put in that makes it obvious that it was just someone being lazy and copying someone else's website. If my 12-yr-old had turned in a paper that was as close, he'd get an F for plagiarism!

I did get a response, and they say it wasn't copied intentionally...Maybe she looked at my website enough to memorize it, ha ha! I'll keep my eye on it and see if anything changes. At least it wasn't pictures, that would REALLY piss me off!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 12:29pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I did get a response, and they say it wasn't copied intentionally...

Huh? "Gosh, I didn't intend to copy it ... but my copy-n-paste function got stuck in the 'on' position and I couldn't help it!"

At least it wasn't the "someone else set up my website' excuse! icon_lol.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 8:01pm
post #9 of 11

Don't you just hate it when people can't come up with their own ideas? Well, at least now they know you're on to their little "cut and paste" tricks, so hopefully they'll stop copying your stuff. I wonder if they no about CC icon_lol.gif

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 5:43am
post #10 of 11

Tis why it is important to include those words... "Copyright _______ 2008"...

In all seriousness, don't worry about it because someone who can't come up with original ideas and wording isn't going to be around long anyways... and if they are eventually they'll change it because they'll figure out who their customers really are...

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 5:34pm
post #11 of 11

Some people just aren't good at wording things, but still want to project a professional image.

Yes, it sucks - especially since she's near you. But perhaps she thought she changed it enough so that it wouldn't be recognizable as your copy?

I have been very tempted to copy some cake descriptions I've seen in restaurants... you know, the ones that describe the cake so wonderfully! All those adjectives! I'm no good at that crap... I've never done it though - my website simply lists flavors. So boring. *yawn*

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%