Software For Designing Cakes?

Decorating By MacsMom Updated 3 Oct 2008 , 7:01pm by SusieHazCakes

MacsMom Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 2:27pm
post #1 of 5

I swore I saw on here once a link to a website that sells cake design software...

Does anyone know of any?

I recently had a client come in and she had absolutely zero capability to visualize the options I gave her. I had to grab my cake pans and stack them in various ways. I had photographs, I had drawings, but she needed to actually see it in 3D!

Not that a design program would've helped her, but at least I could've had nice, neat, plain little images of cakes stacked with various heights (a tall tier on top of a short tier, for instance).

4 replies
muddpuppy Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 2:55pm
post #2 of 5

You probably did see it on here!! icon_smile.gif... I have one called Wedding Cake Design Pro. www.weddingcakedesignpro.com .... There are several threads about it on CC but there seems to be mixed reviews.. I really really like it, just fr the reason you stated, help brides to actually see what thier cake will look like, but it is a bit limited in design elements and colours which can be frustrating... What I like to do it just save the cake I'm designing and open it up in Adobe Illustrater to add anything that the wedding cake design pro can't handle...

MacsMom Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks! I have Adobe Photoshop but I haven't done much with it. Perhaps I should play around with it a bit more icon_wink.gif

TJCanadian Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 5

I won the Wedding Cake Design Pro but have been a little frustrated with it, unless you have a gaming quality video card and tonnes of RAM, its slow and just plain locks up. I'll try again when I upgrade the home computer.

SusieHazCakes Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 7:01pm
post #5 of 5

I'm actually getting ready to buy Wedding Cake Design Pro and, similar to muddpuppy, I'll mostly use it to create a basic 3D design and import it into CorelDraw to elaborate. I've seen a demo and I think it'll be good for that purpose. It's not too terribly pricy ($69), but if you want irregular cake pans (oval, rectangle, hexagon), those are add-ons for a bit more $$.

I've been using Google SketchUp for the basic 3D cake, but, although it's free, it's extremely difficult to use and I end up with second and third tiers flying around in 3D space. icon_smile.gif

Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%