Operation Baking Gals Opportunity

Decorating By zoomzone Updated 30 Sep 2008 , 1:42am by twooten173

zoomzone Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 2:09am
post #1 of 18

fellow CC ers! I am hosting a soldier this month for Operation baking Gals. I would love to have your help! The idea is to bake cookies and send to a designated soldier overseas as a sign of appreciation from home. They in turn share them with their fellow soldiers.
For more info please check out the OBG website here-
http://operationbakinggals.blogspot.com/2008/09/team-10th-mountain.html

TIA

17 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 12:28pm
post #2 of 18

Let's hear it for Operation Baking Gals! Wah-Hoo!

It's almost October. Now's the time to start making your plans to send goodies to our soldiers/sailors stationed overseas.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

sari66 Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 11:53pm
post #3 of 18

I'm like to help can you send Me the info I need? Send to [email protected]
Thanks!

playingwithsugar Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 11:57pm
post #4 of 18

For more information, just click on the link at the bottom of her post! icon_lol.gif

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Scox Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 12:19am
post #5 of 18

This is a really good idea. Are the cookies only going to the same people every month or are they going to different groups of soilders?

playingwithsugar Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 12:21am
post #6 of 18

Here's a copy of the latest e-mail I received from them, which partly explains what they're doing. You can also go to their link in my signature section for more information.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Hello GALS!

Just a quick reminder to let everyone know that Round Three is up and running! All of the soldiers are now posted on the GALS site and are ready for you to join!
If you haven't yet signed on for a team, and you think you can bake and ship between Sept 27 and Oct 6, please go sign up for one of our very deserving soldiers! If you have emailed me saying you want in this round, please do remember to go to the site and pick a team...otherwise, I will just assume you did so. For those of you who have emailed me requesting ANY SOLDIER, I will let you know your team towrds the end of next week, in plenty of time for shipping.
Now, go fill these teams up! I have another team or two waiting in the background, but we need these 10 filled first!
Thanks to you ALL!
Susan

angelatx Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 12:31am
post #7 of 18

Hi, I just wrote to an email sent to fran, are bakinggals and the other different?? i for sure want to help, but am a bit confused, happens often, hehe i have to admit! in the email i wrote i said that i am in the process of moving but that in the future i want to be involved. after getting all settled in. so please let me know what i need to do or which site... *sighs* i am not a ditz, hehe just need guidance, hehe icon_smile.gif

paulstonia Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 12:46am
post #8 of 18

Hello, I clicked on the link and when I tried to send a message to the address in the story it said it wasn't a good address.

paulstonia Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 12:51am
post #9 of 18

Oh, never mind. I copied and pasted the address and everything is capitalized , when I lower cased it it worked icon_redface.gif

xstitcher Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 6:22am
post #10 of 18

I'd love to help but haven't done any type of cookies (except the kind you buy premade and just stick in the oven icon_redface.gif !
Does anyone have a good recipe that they would recommend that will stay fresh during shipment! If you could PM me, post a link or post here that would be great! I'm more than happy to help out for such a worthy cause! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Charmaine49 Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 11:12am
post #11 of 18

I can't help you all out, but what I can do is post a recipe for cookies that I used to bake when my sons were doing their army training............called "Troopie cookies"

Please let me know if I can help out that way....

Best of luck!!

cohen1 Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 11:50am
post #12 of 18

They send goodies to a new group each time.

I participated in the late august mailing and it was fun. I made chocolate chip cookies, sugar cookies and rice krispy treats. I vacum sealed it and mailed it off. Cost about $12 to mail and the hardest part was the darn customs form but if you go to the blog and click on the july archive there is a cheat sheet for filling it out.

I got a thank you letter from the group that we sent to, they really appreciated them and thanks us for thinking of them.

it is a great opportunity to help and show support to our soldiers!

xstitcher Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 6:13pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmaine49

I can't help you all out, but what I can do is post a recipe for cookies that I used to bake when my sons were doing their army training............called "Troopie cookies"

Please let me know if I can help out that way....

Best of luck!!

Hi Charmaine49!

I don't know what happened but I was not receiving any notifications for this topic! I would love to have your recipe, I hope you have the time to send it to me (I've PM'ed you as well). Thanks again and have a great day!

thumbs_up.gif

Charmaine49 Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 6:50am
post #14 of 18

Here is the recipe for Troopie Cookies:-

5 cups Flour
4 cups Coconut
3 cups Rolled Oats
1 cup Bran flakes
1 cup Sprinkle Nuts
4 cups Sugar
4 cups Rice Krispies
500g Margarine
4 Eggs
5ml Salt
10ml Vanilla Essence
50ml Golden Syrup
20ml Baking Powder
15ml Bicarbonate of Soda

Mix the flour, coconut, oats, bran and nuts and salt together.
Cream margarine, sugar, eggs and vanilla essence.
Add to flour mixture
Heat syrup slightly and add baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
(makes a thick foam, but stir).
Add to flour mixture and mix well.
Add the rice krispies and mix quickly.

Roll into balls and press flat with a fork.

Bake for 18-20min till slightly brown.

Recipe can be halved.

xstitcher Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 8:58am
post #15 of 18

Thanks for posting the recipe!!

zoomzone Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 12:15am
post #16 of 18

Thanks to all who emailed me and signed up for this month.
If you want to get in for next month visit Susan's website and send her an email- she will keep you informed when the next shipments will go out!
http://operationbakinggals.blogspot.com/

Such a worthy cause!

Thanks Theresa for holding down the fort!!! LOL

CCers are the best! thumbs_up.gif

Ironbaker Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 1:29am
post #17 of 18

I wish I could participate for this month but couldn't. I did last month for the first time and had a blast. The soldier picked for my team was the brother of one of my coworkers - he was overwhelmed with goodies! We made everything from cookies to pumpkin bread to a variety of bar type cookies.
I made a variety of 5 dozen cake balls.

twooten173 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 1:42am
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

I'd love to help but haven't done any type of cookies (except the kind you buy premade and just stick in the oven icon_redface.gif !
Does anyone have a good recipe that they would recommend that will stay fresh during shipment! If you could PM me, post a link or post here that would be great! I'm more than happy to help out for such a worthy cause! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

No one said it had to be cookies icon_biggrin.gif . I'm actually thinking about sending cheesecakes and some othe perishables. There is a dry ice company down the street from me and they said the ice would actually keep stuff FROZEN for about a week. icon_eek.gif I figure if I mailed it Monday, it should reach them in a frozen state by saturday. We will see.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%