Preschool Edible Crafts

Decorating By msdmom Updated 21 Sep 2008 , 3:42am by mbelgard

msdmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msdmom Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 11:57pm
post #1 of 10

Hello all I am looking for ideas to help out a preschool class do some edible crafts ...so far I came up with a gingerbread house (religion neutral) and homemade ice cream. I guess anything that can teach them something and let them have fun at the same time... I would love to hear your ideas ...Thanks

There are 2 children with allergies....

9 replies
KTcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTcakes Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 12:16am
post #2 of 10

When my nieces and nephews come over to visit, I like to have cookies or cupcakes made for them with different icing bags ready to go to decorate. I usually have leftover decorations (royal icing and fondant) from other cakes I have done, so I let them adorn their food creations with them also.

My mother-in-law did stain glass window cookies with all age students (preschool included) - the kind where you bake candies into the cookie. I can't be much more help than that on this project, but the children had fun with it.

I would love to know any other ideas you come up with!

pmaucher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmaucher Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 12:26am
post #3 of 10

I'm not sure if this would be considered a craft, but on the TV show "Jon and Kate plus 8" - Kate made the kids edible play doh. I believe it had peanut butter in it. I dont remember the directions, but im sure you could find it on google.

As far as learning, possibly have them help you make and measure, (it had very few ingredients). Use letter and number cookie cutters to help learn their ABC's. Just some ideas.

Good luck

msdmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msdmom Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 2:25am
post #4 of 10

Thanks for your ideas they all sound great and I am definately going to give them a try

Launa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Launa Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 2:33am
post #5 of 10

We did a really fun cookie craft at my daughter's birthday party one year. I gave each child a 6" square piece of cookie dough. Then they had their own edible paint which was an egg yolk mixed with food coloring. They were given a clean paint brush and got to paint their picture on the dough. Then we baked them. Some made houses, others made rainbows or flowers. It was great! I got this idea from an old issue of Family Fun Magazine.

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 2:41am
post #6 of 10

It probably sounds unbelievable but there was a great lady who was working with children at risk, and she made pan cakes with them, she brought all the ingredients along with a grill to school, it was a real hit, in fact some of the kids had never had pan cakes before, and these were 8 and 9 year olds. This was in a after school program for the kids.

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 2:45am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmaucher

I'm not sure if this would be considered a craft, but on the TV show "Jon and Kate plus 8" - Kate made the kids edible play doh. I believe it had peanut butter in it. I dont remember the directions, but im sure you could find it on google.

I have made it with peanut butter, honey and powdered milk; no measurements, just mixing until I get the right consistency. However, if there are allergies, PB may not be the best bet.

If you didn't want to mess with cupcakes, I have given my kids graham crackers to decorate with leftover frosting before.

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 2:51am
post #8 of 10

I took fondant covered cookies and some food colour markers to my dd's jk class. They could spend as long as they wanted on their picture depending on their attention span.

Find out the specific allergies before hand...my dd has a peanut sensitivity and I won't let her touch anything made in anyone else's kitchen (family and close friends excluded) due to cross contamination (a knife stuck in the PB jar and then in the jam jar - jam used as cake filling) as well as inability to be sure the product hasn't come in contact or may contain traces of the allergen (ingredients purchased in bulk).

BTW - many of Wilton's products are made in facilities where peanuts and tree nuts are present including the larger pots of paste colour, the smaller containers found in the icing sets are fine.

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 3:07am
post #9 of 10

white canned frosting can be subbed for the peanut butter in that play doh recipe!

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 3:42am
post #10 of 10

If you make cookie houses it might be easiest to have them assembled and just let the kids decorate them. Especially if there aren't going to be many adults.

Alot of projects will depend on what allergies are present in the group.

If it isn't peanut you could get candy molds and let them make their own. The molds are cheap and could be cut apart so each kid has just one or two shapes to mold. My kids both love the pretzel rod molds right now and there's a Wilton halloween kit with three sheets of them in it. Candy melts are NOT peanut safe though. They might need some help filling the molds but even very little kids can put lollypop stick in and help tap the molds to remove airbubbles.

WIlton also makes a candy necklace kit with 8 sets for around $3-4. I've seen it all over this year and it's all ready to do and would help kids with fine motor skills.

My son's kindergarten teacher let them make popsicles in paper cups and they did fruit salad too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%