Help! Little Sugar/ball Accents?

Decorating By Holli_Rose Updated 20 Sep 2008 , 12:01am by kbgieger

Holli_Rose Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 11:15pm
post #1 of 4

I'm looking for the little balls as seen on this cake http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-539813.html sorry I couldn't figure out a way to explain them. The little silver accent's balls that are on the cake?? Any one know the actual name for them and possibly places you can get them and their general cost?? I've seen them on so many cakes and their so beautiful. I want to try the type of design that is on the top of the cake (still trying to figure out how to do THAT!) any suggestions/opinions/helpful info would be GREATLY appreciated!

3 replies
kakeladi Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 4

what your are asking about are called 'dragee'
In many states they are outlawed icon_sad.gif
Some on-line places sell them. They come in many sizes & colors.
You can make similar ones by rolling tiny, tiny pieces of fondant into balls and allowing them to dry then shake them in a bit of luster dust.

As for making a tiera......there are lots of patterns both on this site and the internet. Draw it, then tape it (covedred w/plastic wrap) around a can and pipe royal icing. The balls are added while the icing is wet.
OR some people have used gumpaste strings instead of royal.

Holli_Rose Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 11:46pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

what your are asking about are called 'dragee'
In many states they are outlawed icon_sad.gif
Some on-line places sell them. They come in many sizes & colors.
You can make similar ones by rolling tiny, tiny pieces of fondant into balls and allowing them to dry then shake them in a bit of .

As for making a tiera......there are lots of patterns both on this site and the internet. Draw it, then tape it (covedred w/plastic wrap) around a can and pipe royal icing. The balls are added while the icing is wet.
OR some people have used gumpaste strings instead of royal.

Outlawed?! Are they edible??

Also I wasn't talking about the tiera but about the lines that are done in the fondant where the dragee's are. I'm just not sure what the method is called if any one knows that would be great to find out.

kbgieger Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 12:01am
post #4 of 4

I originally thought those lines might have been made with a diamond impression mat (like in the Sugarshack DVD), but after looking at it more closely, I think the diamonds might have been freehanded using the fondant cutter wheel.

HTH,
Karen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%