Help With Pan Size, Servings And Price

Decorating By BakerzJoy Updated 22 Sep 2008 , 12:51pm by BakerzJoy

BakerzJoy Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 10:36pm
post #1 of 16

I have been posting a price on a 1/2 sheet cake now for about a year. I posted it at $60. I was at Sams the other day and I saw the same size for $22. Am I looney or have I been over charging??
Also, this pan advertised it served up to 80 people and I think not. I said atleast 50-60 and I'm still wondering if thats accurate.
The pan size is 11x15x2
It's priced with simple decorations in buttercream.
Help CC family!!! icon_cry.gif

15 replies
kakeladi Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 11:01pm
post #2 of 16

Well if you do the math a 11x15x2 will serve thirty (30) 2" sqs. Most sheet cakes do not have filling so I think yhour price is a bit high.
Don't forget places like Sam's sell their cakes at a loss just to get people in the store! They know you will buy other things for the party &/or life when you are there.

Deb_ Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 11:06pm
post #3 of 16

You're advertising 50 - 60 servings and your price is $60.....that's $1.00 per serving icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif Way underpriced in my opinion. How do you figure that many servings out of that size cake? It doesn't sound right to me.

I'm quoting from the Wilton party size pieces chart : 11 x 15 2 layer/4" high cake serves according to them 44 servings. Party sized portions are 1 1/2 x 2 x 4".

11 x 15 1 layer 3" torted and filled to reach a 3" height serves according to them 32 servings. Party sized portions are 1 1/2 x 2 x 3".

Wedding sized portions are smaller according to Wilton, so these cakes would serve more for wedding sizes.

It sounds like you use the Wedding chart size....do you torte and fill? I know Sam's sells single layer unfilled sheetcakes and they mass produce them so that's why they're $22. Custom bakers/decorators like us cannot compete with Sam's club, nor should we try to.

Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 11:09pm
post #4 of 16

Are you selling Wal-Mart cakes or your homemade quality masterpieces? You would have to compare prices with other bakeries in your area, not Samâs. I wouldnât worry about what Samâs charge, unless you are not getting any orders because people think you prices are too high.

According to the Wilton Party Cake Cutting Guide an 11X15X2 should serve 60. It shows 10 pieces 1 1/2 â each along the 15â side and 6 pieces along the 11â side (thatâs just over 1.8â each) I think Samâs is stretching it say it will serve 80. That would be 1 ½â X 1 3/8â slices.

Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 11:14pm
post #5 of 16

Sorry I was looking a the wrong chart I used the Party Cake Cutting Guide for cakes (from 3 to 6 in. high)

Deb_ Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 11:16pm
post #6 of 16

I think I must have a different chart than suzie's...my book is the one with the pink cake on the cover with roses on it. It shows an 11 x 15 being cut 4 cuts along the 15" side and 10 cuts along the 11" side for 44 pieces. What chart are you using ?

indydebi Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 11:31pm
post #7 of 16

If something said an 11x15 served 80 people, they had to be talking about a 2-layer cake. Be sure you check to see if they mean single or double layer.

There was a thread some time ago from a sam's or walmart employee that shared info that these stores get their cakes shipped in frozen, iced and bordered and it costs them about 50 cents a sheet.

When you can make a cake for 50 cents, then you can worry about price comparing with these places. Until then, ignore it.

Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 12:04am
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly27

I think I must have a different chart than suzie's...my book is the one with the pink cake on the cover with roses on it. It shows an 11 x 15 being cut 4 cuts along the 15" side and 10 cuts along the 11" side for 44 pieces. What chart are you using ?

Mine is the same as the one that they show on the website

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/cake-cutting-guides/party-cake-cutting-guide.cfm

bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 12:24am
post #9 of 16

I'm glad this came up, I never did understand Walmart's pricing... icon_confused.gif

Naturepixie Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 12:41am
post #10 of 16

Am I doing bad math or what.. when I do 11x15x2 pan with 2x2 servings I come up with 41.25...servings. This is for a single layer cake. I did it on graph paper with each square being one inch..... and to double check I used a calculater...both come out the same..

Anyway, I know for a fact that Walmart and Sams has there cakes shipped to them frozen. I don't know about being iced though..

I'm a newbie so maybe I don't know.. icon_redface.gif

indydebi Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 1:02am
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturepixie

Am I doing bad math or what.. when I do 11x15x2 pan with 2x2 servings I come up with 41.25...servings. This is for a single layer cake. I did it on graph paper with each square being one inch..... and to double check I used a calculater...both come out the same..

Anyway, I know for a fact that Walmart and Sams has there cakes shipped to them frozen. I don't know about being iced though..

I'm a newbie so maybe I don't know.. icon_redface.gif

When I figure 2x2x2 pieces on a 11x15, I figure that the cake will be cut in "approximately" 5 rows by 7 columns = 35 servings. You can't cut 11" into an even 2" pieces, so that's why I round it to a cuttable size.

I was in a bridal show and a bride came up and wanted 3 round cakes, just iced, no borders. She didn't want to pay my price. I said, "look, you're not really looking for a 'wedding' cake. Why don't you check behind me, at the walmart booth. I bet they can set you up."

She told me she'd already checked with them and they couldn't do it, because they told her their cakes already came in baked iced and bordered .... she didn't want borders and they told her, "Sorry ... ours are already bordered." She wanted rounds of 8/10/12. They told her they couldn't do a 12" round because they didn't get those sizes shipped in.

I said, "Well, if they walk to their cake decorating dept, there's a 12" round pan over there!" icon_eek.gificon_lol.gif

Anyway .... if they have no problem telling a customer just how their cakes are shipped in, then I have no problem helping them spread the word! icon_rolleyes.gif

Naturepixie Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 2:37am
post #12 of 16

Okay, I gotcha Indy....that's why your the pro.. icon_biggrin.gif But I catch on pretty fast.. Well most of the time anyway..

I've been helping to spread the word about Walmart too....lol

Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 3:10pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

When I figure 2x2x2 pieces on a 11x15, I figure that the cake will be cut in "approximately" 5 rows by 7 columns = 35 servings. You can't cut 11" into an even 2" pieces, so that's why I round it to a cuttable size.

I would figure 40 to 42 servings â 5 rows of 8, or 6 rows of 7.

When you use 5 rows of 7 you are rounding down on both sides, making a serving size of 2.2 X 2.14 or 4.7 square inches (almost 18 % larger then average). If the average size should be about 2X2(4 square inches) then 5 rows of 8 for 40(1.875 X 2.2 or 4.125 square inches is still slightly larger then average) and 6 rows of 7 for 42 (1.83 X 2.14 or 3.92 square inch servings which is within 2% of the average)

Deb_ Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 6:52pm
post #14 of 16

Suzie's, I think it's safer to allow a little more per serving as indydebi did. Remember you are cutting cake, not graph paper. It is much easier to cut paper to precise sizes than it is to cut a cake, i.e. crumbs sticking to the knife. I'd much rather under estimate the number of servings than over estimate and have the person not get the # of servings I promised. I doubt anyone gets out a ruler at a party and starts measuring 1.875 x 2.2 size pieces of cake.

Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 7:31pm
post #15 of 16

I wasnât suggesting they use a ruler and measure, just divide it into 5 rows of 8 for 40 servings or 6 rows of 7 for 42 servings. I will usually recommend how they could cut it, or even include a copy of the chart for larger especially round cakes. I realize the person cutting may not be exact on the measurements, but they shouldnât have any problem dividing an 11-inch wide cake into approximately equal rows (either 5 or 6 rows)

BakerzJoy Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 12:51pm
post #16 of 16

Well, I just wanted to say thank you all for your responses. I am well informed now!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%