Helmet Help

Decorating By shanasweets Updated 19 Sep 2008 , 11:08pm by shanasweets

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 10:23pm
post #1 of 3

I am trying to make a helmet cake. I taped my mixing bowl and 8 in round together to form helmet. Then I suran Wrapped it to use. I mixed gumpaste/fondant and used clay gun to make long pieces. I made glue with gumpaste so it was thick. I had two long pieces at front that was attached to side piece and two long pieces at the bottom. I placed short pieces in aprox 2 in to brace top and same for bottom row. Here is a very crude picture.

Here is the problem, the long pieces break at the end joints. I tried to add more fondant to strengthen, but it doesn't halp and looks sloppy.

Any advice or steer me to a tutorial would be most helpful. Thanks

2 replies
kate_c Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kate_c Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 10:59pm
post #2 of 3

I am having trouble visualising it... are you able to take a photo and attach it at all?

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 11:08pm
post #3 of 3

it broke to much to take picture I threw it away. My picture did not convert as I typed it. It essentially had two rows on top and bottom with the top piece being extra long that looped down and attached to all rows. I did add a small rectangle flat piece to middle to hold next to cake and a couple small round pieces to look like the ear pieces on these helmets.
I did do a small 6 in version that cracked but I made work. This one was bigger and thus more problems.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%