Mmf Failure

Decorating By EnjoyTheCake Updated 19 Sep 2008 , 10:25pm by JoAnnB

EnjoyTheCake Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 9:34pm
post #1 of 2

Ok, it wasn't a total failure, but I'd love to get some advice for next time.

I used Bunnywoman's recipe. Basically a bag of marshmallow, 2 tbls water and 8 cups powder sugar.

I warmed up the marshmallows with the water, but it took almost 3 minutes before it was even soft enough to stir and have the mallows sort of combine. It didn't even take a full 4 cups of powder sugar. I did use the full 16 oz bag of marshmallows.

I wound up with pitted spots in the fondant and large clumps of sugar in the fondant.

Did this occur because the marshmallows were store brand and not fresh?

Did this occur of some other reason? Let me know your thoughts please.

My husband did say he likes the flavor a ton more than a popular store bought brand, but making it was not as easy as I thought it should have been.

Thanks in advance cakesters.

1 reply
JoAnnB Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 10:25pm
post #2 of 2

The marshmallows must be totally melted. If you don't have a microwave, use a larg pot and bring the mm to melting. Once you have stirred in enough powdered sugar to hold into a mass (about 1/2), dump it out onto a counter spread with the remainder of the sugar and knead it well, incorporating part of the remaining sugar. It will probably not require all of it. Once it starts to hold together, remove the extra sugar and knead it, sifting over a bit of sugar until it isn't sticky.

If you are getting lumps, you may need to sift your powdered sugar, but if you knead well, it should not have lumps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%