Lets Exchange Recipes For Favorite Holiday Candies And Gifts

Baking By Cookies4kids Updated 20 Dec 2009 , 6:56pm by bobwonderbuns

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 6:18pm
post #391 of 568

Evil Fiddlesticks! My easy way is boxed mixes, lol.....unless I'm in a rare mood to make them regular icon_smile.gif...My moms grounded from them after I caught her putting sour cream in them one time.....she can no longer touch the mashed potatoes. icon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 6:23pm
post #392 of 568

Ok, it's not a super secret thing... lots of you already probably do this, but... in case you don't...

The old method included peeling a boatload of potatoes, which I hate doing, and tends to leave my hands hurting! Then you whip 'em with a mixer which develops them into a more pasty texture if you aren't super careful. But, I don't like 'em just smashed... I like 'em nice and smooth.

So... easy method...

Throw a bunch of potatoes in a pot with some salt (garlic is good too!), bring to a boil, boil 45 minutes or until tender when poked. Drain. Cut in half, place half in ricer cut side down, push through. Pull skins out of ricer after a few halves to keep it from getting in the way. After all potatoes are through, pour melted butter and warm milk on top and give a light stir. Season as desired. It may not sound easier, but believe me... the process of putting them through the ricer is so quick and easy, and there is NO peeling required. It ROCKS!!! If you don't know what a ricer is, let me know, I'll post a pic!

ETA: Urgent clarification!!! Cut potatoes into two short fat halves, not two long skinny halves, otherwise they don't fit in the ricer!!

Melvira Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 6:25pm
post #393 of 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by chassidyg

Evil Fiddlesticks! My easy way is boxed mixes, lol.....unless I'm in a rare mood to make them regular icon_smile.gif...My moms grounded from them after I caught her putting sour cream in them one time.....she can no longer touch the mashed potatoes. icon_biggrin.gif

*gasp* Step away from the box!!! Hand the spoon to your mother! She is obviously the one qualified to handle the potatoes!!! Box potatoes... come on Chass... I used to respect you! Hehehe.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 6:34pm
post #394 of 568

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Ok I was already to make caramels and I tested my candy thermometer and its not working correctly. Poop! Now I have to go buy a new one . I dont want to have to worry about remembering to adjust every time I use it . icon_sad.gif

chassidyg Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 9:39pm
post #395 of 568

MEL!!! When you have a daughter that would eat mashed potatoes 7 days a week 3 meals a day, sometimes ya gotta use the box, lol...especially if it's for only 1 serving...

Now what the heck is a ricer????????

Hmmmm, I wonder if the laser thermometer would work for making candy.....I may have to go buy a new candy thermometer also, I havent seen mine yet...SEE, I am soooooooo procrastinating at putting stuff away!

Melvira Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 9:49pm
post #396 of 568

Ok chass, I'll give ya that one! As long as you don't serve them to me when I surprise you by dropping by for dinner! Hehehehe.

This is a ricer. See, the potatoes get smooshed down through the little holes an the skin sticks to the round flat silver plunger and you just pull it off and throw it away after a few taters go through. It's awesome. SO easy!
LL

chassidyg Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 9:53pm
post #397 of 568

Ooooohhhh, I likes...that would be easier!

Can it shread cheese also???? My bestie gave me 5 HUGE chunks of cheese, and this little grater, and had me grate cheese at taco night...I was sooooo close to lobbing cheese at people! I'd buy one for her for Christmas! (Along with 5 huge blocks of cheese! Paybacks are fun!!)

Melvira Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 10:09pm
post #398 of 568

No, unless you're talking room temp cream cheese! icon_lol.gif You can only push through soft objects like cooked potatoes.

fiddlesticks Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 10:18pm
post #399 of 568

Whats a good candy thermometer So when I buy a new one tmrw. Anything new and awesome out there? I have had this one for a few yrs now its just the old cheap clip on the pan kind.
Mel What else do you use the ricer for?

penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 10:31pm
post #400 of 568

Thank you so much melvira! You're the best!

chassidyg Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 11:10pm
post #401 of 568

And Mel, when you surprise me for dinner, bring your ricer, you can cook the mashed potatoes, since apparently, I'm not allowed to touch them anymore icon_wink.gif

Melvira Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 11:35pm
post #402 of 568

Alright, I will put on ONE 'display' cooking of the potatoes just to show everyone how ridiculously little work it is. Hey, maybe I'll make one a goofy Utube video!! Hehehe. Oh, wait, I don't mean that in a bad way, I adore all the ones I've seen from Aine and Tonedna... I didn't mean to make that sound like it was a slam. I just mean, with ME in it, you can bet it'll be goofy. So... potatoes 101... coming soon to a theatre near you!

fiddlesticks Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 12:42am
post #403 of 568

Ok cant wait!! I have the pop corn. Chass can you bring the drinks/pop??
Im sure this is a youtube we will want to watch over and over !
Oh and Mel can you pull on your ear or something so I know you talking just to me ????

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 12:50am
post #404 of 568

Boy I haven't kept up with this thread because I'm not getting email notices for it. So many recipes to catch up with, so little time... icon_rolleyes.gif

Melvira Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 2:10am
post #405 of 568

Oh good Lord, you didn't think I was going to show my FACE in this video, did you???

Oh and hubby is all for me making a video if it means that sack of potatoes in the pantry is going to be turned into mashed!! icon_rolleyes.gif

chassidyg Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 2:30am
post #406 of 568

Sure Fiddle...I'm a Dr Pepper girl!!! What's your flavor??? I'll be right there, what time's the show Mel??????

Melvira Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 2:49am
post #407 of 568

Hahahaha! It depends on which show! Fiddle is making a list of things she wants me to make videos of! I think she's got me doing buttercream flowers first. icon_lol.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 4:20am
post #408 of 568

icon_lol.gif Oh YA ! buttercream flowers, The ricer, caramels , a demo on the roller( Mel method ) Ok these are just a start . icon_wink.gif
Well you can at least show an ear or,ok How about you wiggle a pinky finger icon_lol.gif Chass, Im a diet root beer granny, or caffeine diet coke icon_redface.gif Im sure we could use some of the youtube ideas for a xmas gift to. ( trying to stick with the thread icon_rolleyes.gif Better bring lots of pop and snacks Im sure we will be a while icon_lol.gif

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 4:35am
post #409 of 568

Image . . . . icon_biggrin.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 4:42am
post #410 of 568

icon_lol.gif The dragonlady has the right idea ! icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 4:43am
post #411 of 568

I'm not even going to try to catch up to this thread, but I hope ya'll will let me squeeze in? I've got a few good recipes to hold my weight icon_smile.gif

For the holidays, I do a LOT of chocolates. I just started a thread, hopefully some other chocolate makers will join in...*hint hint nudge nudge*... (http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-608060.html)

Have there been any groundbreaking recipes/discussions I should catch up on?

chassidyg Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 2:19pm
post #412 of 568

Jana, Fiddlesticks has all the recipe links in her signature, her, Mel & a couple of other people from various threads, have done such an awesome job updating it & putting it one location for all of us!

K Fiddle, I'll be bringing my sleeping bag also!

fiddlesticks Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 2:55pm
post #413 of 568

Good Idea Chass I will have to have my pillow ! Mel must be busy making then now I hope she doesent forget to give me a sign that shes talking to me !

Melvira Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:52pm
post #414 of 568

Ok fine Fiddle, I'll wiggle a finger to let you know I'm thinking of you... I'm not saying which one though!! icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif

Ok, so, we've determined so far that I'm going to hire a professional cameraman (or a local highschooler) to follow me around and just record everything I do, then we can break it into little bitty videos and post them. I can assure you there are a few you won't want to see. You know, the ones where I talk bad about people and mock their cakes, etc. Just kidding! I don't do that. Well, ok, when I am reading Cake Wrecks I do, but that's different... you're supposed to!! That's why they're there!

Melvira Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 4:01pm
post #415 of 568

Tell ya what... I have to go shopping for groceries today when the boys take their nap, I'll try to pick up a 2 liter of Diet Cherry Coke, then I'll get all hopped up on it and start making videos. ("What do you mean you couldn't tell what I was doing? I wasn't moving THAT fast!") Of course, then I'll need some Tylenol PM to bring me down so I can go to sleep! Hehehe.

chassidyg Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 5:50pm
post #416 of 568

K Mel, we'll be waiting, all I have is exedrin migraine icon_smile.gif

Fiddle, that cracks me up, hubby cant sleep without a paticular pillow, I thought he'd go crazy in boot, he'd write about missing his stupid pillow, then when he went to A school, he came home and got his stupid pillow, then couldnt take it to C school.....I hide it from him when I get mad at him, or change the pillowcases so he has to really search for it icon_smile.gif

sayhellojana Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 6:32pm
post #417 of 568

Awesome, thanks for letting me know icon_smile.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 8:13pm
post #418 of 568

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif Shame on you Mel thumbsdown.gif
Well I guess any finger is better then NO sign at all icon_lol.gif
Chass, even better I have to have 2 pillows icon_redface.gif
And they have to be the big thick full kind NOT the ones that squish to flat when you lay on them. I take my pillows on vacation to, those stupid motels/hotels only give you 1 flat one thumbsdown.gificon_mad.gif
Mel so now your making a day in the life of Mel show ! Awesome, We want to see the uncut version Its got to be way better then the edited one icon_lol.gif
Has anyone come up with any new and exciting Holiday gift ideas ?

sayhellojana Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 9:25pm
post #419 of 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

Has anyone come up with any new and exciting Holiday gift ideas ?

I found a mold for a chocolate box (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=260289748025) which, presumably, could be filled with chocolates. My only problem with that is that you'd have to put in on something, or in something, because is edible material. And that would look weird. A box in a less pretty box, real fun. BUT, what about putting it on a 6'' cake, kind of off center? you could write a message on the lid of the box (lid is a different link, its just a flat piece) Am I rambling? yeah, I'm rambling...darn. See, this is exactly why I could never have a "day in the life of" show

fiddlesticks Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 10:41pm
post #420 of 568

Thats ok I ramble to ! I saw that candy box just today at my cake supply store , She also had some real pretty new xmas candy boxes out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%