Baking By Cookies4kids Updated 20 Dec 2009 , 6:56pm by bobwonderbuns

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 3:22pm
post #361 of 568

File updated. Thanks Chass!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:29pm
post #362 of 568

Does anyone have a recipe for the Buckeyes?
I make pb balls dipped in choc, But I would like to see a recipe for buckeyes and see what the difference is ? Anyone ? Thanks !

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:47pm
post #363 of 568

Found this one on-line Fiddle. Sounds about the same. I've never made them. Sounds good though.
http://southernfood.about.com/od/candyrecipes/r/bl30223j.htm

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 3:40pm
post #364 of 568

Fiddlesticks, the recipe I posted for mine is "technically" a buckeye recipe.

But I'll get another one right now.

Buckeyes

1 1/2 cups peanut butter
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 cups confectioners' sugar
4 cups semisweet chocolate chips

..DIRECTIONS
1.In a large bowl, mix together the peanut butter, butter, vanilla and confectioners' sugar. The dough will look dry. Roll into 1 inch balls and place on a waxed paper-lined cookie sheet.
2.Press a toothpick into the top of each ball (to be used later as the handle for dipping) and chill in freezer until firm, about 30 minutes.
3.Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler or in a bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water. Stir frequently until smooth.
4.Dip frozen peanut butter balls in chocolate holding onto the toothpick. Leave a small portion of peanut butter showing at the top to make them look like Buckeyes. Put back on the cookie sheet and refrigerate until serving.

chassidyg Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 3:42pm
post #365 of 568

Buckeyes 2

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons shortening

..DIRECTIONS
1.Line a baking sheet with waxed paper; set aside.
2.In a medium bowl, mix peanut butter, butter, vanilla, and confectioners' sugar with hands to form a smooth stiff dough. Shape into balls using 2 teaspoons of dough for each ball. Place on prepared pan, and refrigerate.
3.Melt shortening and chocolate together in a metal bowl over a pan of lightly simmering water. Stir occasionally until smooth, and remove from heat.
4.Remove balls from refrigerator. Insert a wooden toothpick into a ball, and dip into melted chocolate. Return to wax paper, chocolate side down, and remove toothpick. Repeat with remaining balls. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to set

I edited it because it copied & pasted wrong! I'm sorry!!

Melvira Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 3:58pm
post #366 of 568

Only difference... buckeyes is a fancier name... and sometimes they don't dip the very top in the chocolate, so that way you have a brown spot like a 'real' buckeye. HTH!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 4:01pm
post #367 of 568

Boy that's weird, here I was wondering why I wasn't getting any email responses to this thread and it had "unwatched" me! icon_cry.gif Maybe now I can catch up with all these delicious recipes! icon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 4:08pm
post #368 of 568

File updated!

cmp24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmp24 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 4:09pm
post #369 of 568

There has not been a lot of adds to the thread lately.

Melvira Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 4:12pm
post #370 of 568

We're temporarily losing steam!! We'll pick back up! icon_smile.gif We're all just too busy trying out all the new stuff! icon_lol.gif

One thing I like to do is can my awesome home made chicken soup in p icon_lol.gif pint or quart jars and then label it as 'Flu chaser' for people when the weather starts getting cruddy like this!

fiddlesticks Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 4:12pm
post #371 of 568

Thanks everyone for the recipes and the info!

chassidyg Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 4:17pm
post #372 of 568

Christmas Snack Mix
Cute to put in jars for Christmas!

INGREDIENTS:
1 (16 ounce) jar dry roasted
peanuts
2 (14 ounce) packages red and
green candy-coated chocolate
1 (14 ounce) package
chocolate covered peanuts
1 (7 ounce) jar wheat nuts

DIRECTIONS:
1. Mix together the peanuts, red and green candy-coated chocolate pieces, red and green candy-coated chocolate covered peanuts, chocolate covered peanuts and wheat germ nut snacks.
2. Serve in a large bowl or place in decorative glass jars and give as gifts.

cmp24 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 4:19pm
post #373 of 568

I've only made this cake one a couple yrs ago and the family liked it.

JACK DANIELS TIPSY CAKE

* 5 ounces unsweetened chocolate squares
* 1/4 cup instant coffee granules
* 2 cups self-rising flour
* 1/4 cup boiling water
* 1 1/4 cups cold water
* 1/2 cup jack daniels' black label whiskey
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 1 cup butter (use real butter, plz)
* 2 cups sugar
* 3 eggs

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350-375 degrees, depending on how your oven bakes (it's different for everyone!).
2. Melt chocolate and set aside to cool down a bit.
3. Dissolve the coffee granules in the boiling water. When dissolved, stir in the cold water. Add the whiskey and set aside.
4. In a large electric mixer, cream the butter, vanilla, and sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the chocolate.
5. With the mixer on low, add the flour alternating with the coffee/whiskey mixture.
6. The batter WILL BE THIN & RUNNY. Do NOT add more flour.
7. Pour into two prepared loaf pans (I always make one small and one large-one to keep, one to give away.).
8. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, about an hour to an hour and a half. Cool. Sprinkle with powdered sugar when serving.

chassidyg Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 4:20pm
post #374 of 568

I have most of my favorites stored on an online recipe box......so here are some more...most I have tried, some just look appealing.

Good thanksgiving breakfast!
Pumpkin Waffles with Apple Cider Syrup
INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin
2 cups milk
4 eggs, separated
1/4 cup butter, melted

APPLE CIDER SYRUP
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup apple cider
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons butter

DIRECTIONS
1.Preheat a waffle iron according to manufacturer's instructions.
2.Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, salt, and brown sugar in a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, stir together the pumpkin, milk, and egg yolks. Whip the egg whites in a clean dry bowl until soft peaks form.
3.Stir the flour mixture and 1/4 cup melted butter to the pumpkin mixture, stirring just to combine. Use a whisk or rubber spatula to fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the batter, stirring gently until incorporated. Fold in the remaining egg whites. Cook waffles according to manufacturer's instructions.
4.To make the syrup, stir together the sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon in a saucepan. Stir in the apple cider and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat until mixture begins to boil; boil until the syrup thickens. Remove from heat and stir in the 2 tablespoons of butter until melted. Serve warm

chassidyg Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 4:22pm
post #375 of 568

Peanut Butter Marshmallow Squares

INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup butter
1 (11 ounce) package butterscotch chips
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup chopped walnuts
3 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows

DIRECTIONS
1.In the lower pot of a double boiler, add water halfway to top and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. In the top of a double boiler, heat butter, butterscotch chips, and peanut butter until melted. Remove from heat.
2.Stir in coconut, walnuts, and marshmallows.
3.Pour mixture in buttered pan. Refrigerate and cut into squares. Store in the refrigerator.

chassidyg Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 4:24pm
post #376 of 568

Cow Pies (Reminds me of the Chunky Bars)

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
2 cups milk chocolate chips
1 tablespoon shortening
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped almonds

DIRECTIONS
1.In the top pot of a double boiler, melt chocolate chips and shortening over simmering water in the bottom pot.. Stir until smooth. Remove from the heat; stir in raisins and almonds.
2.Drop by tablespoonfuls onto waxed paper or parchment. Chill until ready to serve.

cmp24 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 4:24pm
post #377 of 568

lmao.....I can make and decorat a cake, i can make a pie, and cookies, and candy...........but i be darn if i can get rice crispy treats to turn out!

fiddlesticks Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 4:35pm
post #378 of 568

Melvira.. Is that a made as needed recipe or make ahead ?
I love the ones that you add all the pasta.spices whatever the dry ingredients are and make a soup in a jar and they just add the liquid !
I love soup!!

Melvira Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 4:58pm
post #379 of 568

Whooo... a little guilt goes a long way around here! Hehehe.

Fiddle, that's my home made, full on chicken soup. You crack the seal, heat and eat. My sister just had some last night actually and she called me... all she could say was 'ummmuuummmmmuummmmuummm'. icon_rolleyes.gif What a doofus.

I have a recipe to share... hold on.

Melvira Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 5:02pm
post #380 of 568

I'm telling you, this is good. It's a nice swich from pumpkin. It goes fast around my family!

Cinnamon Streusel Sweet Potato Pie

Filling
1 1/2  cups mashed cooked dark orange sweet potatoes (about 1 lb uncooked)
1/2  cup packed brown sugar
2  tablespoons corn syrup
1  cup evaporated milk
3  Eggs
1/2  Teaspoon salt
1  teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2  teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8  teaspoon ground cloves
1/8  teaspoon ground ginger
1  frozen deep dish pie crust

Streusel
1/4  cup packed brown sugar
2  tablespoons all-purpose flour
2  tablespoons butter or margarine
1/4  teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4  cup chopped pecans
1/4  cup chopped walnuts
Topping
1  cup sweetened whipped cream, if desired

1 . Place cookie sheet on oven rack. Heat oven to 425°F. Place sweet potatoes in food processor; cover and process until smooth. In large bowl, mix sweet potatoes and remaining filling ingredients with wire whisk until smooth; pour into frozen pie crust.
2 . Bake on cookie sheet 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F; bake 20 minutes longer. Meanwhile, in small bowl, mix streusel ingredients. Carefully sprinkle streusel over filling. Bake 10 to 15 minutes longer or until knife inserted in center comes out clean and streusel is golden brown. Cool completely, about 3 hours.
3 . Serve pie with sweetened whipped cream. Store covered in refrigerator. 8 servings.

Melvira Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 5:05pm
post #381 of 568

Oh, on that sweet potato pie, the original recipe says to use a frozen crust but I never do. Obviously if you make 'em homemade, go that route, otherwise go ahead and use the frozen kind. thumbs_up.gif

ETA: And the file is updated!

chassidyg Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 5:15pm
post #382 of 568

I may have to try that for the inlaws, thanks Mel!

fiddlesticks Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 5:25pm
post #383 of 568

Thanks, Mel you should add that to the pie thread to !
cmp24.. Really RKT,S ??

Melvira Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 5:29pm
post #384 of 568

My pleasure!

And, when I do the potatoes... I always do at least twice as many, then measure out what I need after processing them smooth, then to the rest I stir in some real butter, salt, and a healthy spoon of brown sugar. Ooooohhhh... so good! Of course, then I have to fight off the kid for it! (Fortunately it's one of the few foods hubby doesn't like, and I'm not going to try and change his mind!)

Melvira Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 5:38pm
post #385 of 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

Thanks, Mel you should add that to the pie thread to !
cmp24.. Really RKT,S ??

I'd love to... would you help out a lazy woman and link me to that thread? I just don't have the strength to search for it right now... I'm busy looking for a family picture of us where I don't look like a whale! Hehehehe. (Sorry everyone else, inside joke!)

And hey, cmp24 I totally sympathize. Sometimes it's those supposedly easy things that just throw us for a loop. Case in point, I can make some amazing buttercream flowers... any kind... but I CANNOT make one of those 'easy' stinking drop flowers. Something about the squeeze and twist that I just can't do!

chassidyg Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 5:38pm
post #386 of 568

Mel, my mom makes a ton of sweet potatoes at Thanksgiving & Christmas, and her and my hubby are the only 2 that eat them, lol...she drowns them in brown sugar & marshmallows. My oldest however can eat a HUGE bowl of regular mashed potatoes by herself, thats what her, my brother and I fight over icon_smile.gif

Melvira Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 5:51pm
post #387 of 568

Yah, don't get between me and the mashed potatoes either. Especially the way I make 'em! I discovered the secret to EASY really good mashed potatoes, so now we get them more than once every couple months! icon_rolleyes.gif

penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 5:53pm
post #388 of 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Yah, don't get between me and the mashed potatoes either. Especially the way I make 'em! I discovered the secret to EASY really good mashed potatoes, so now we get them more than once every couple months! icon_rolleyes.gif

Don't torture us!! Please share the secret!!! Pretty please with extra butter on top!!! icon_smile.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 6:16pm
post #389 of 568

Sorry its a secret between Mel and I ! LOL!!

fiddlesticks Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 6:17pm
post #390 of 568

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-603431.html
Here ya go If you didnt have it yet ?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%