How To Stop Greasy Ribbon On A Ckae?

Decorating By cakesonoccasion Updated 23 Sep 2008 , 3:17pm by Malakin

cakesonoccasion Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 10

OK- I know there are the die hard believers who say "No REAL ribbon on cakes"!!!, and I know there are those who do it anyway- for those of you that DO...how do you stop the grease from the buttercream soaking through and staining your ribbon? grosgrain doesn't seem to have as bad of a problem as satin does- but they both soak it up...any advice?
Thanks!

9 replies
BabyBear3 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 8:35pm
post #2 of 10

I have the same issue -- I do put real ribbon on mine. I have heard of people putting something between the ribbon and the cake like a ribbon of plain fondant or something so that there is a barrier between the greasy bc and the ribbon. Try that and let me know how it goes!

cakesonoccasion Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 11:56pm
post #3 of 10

hmm...that could work- I tried parchment and it was a nightmare....anyone else??

leah_s Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 12:09am
post #4 of 10

Well, you know what I'm gonna say. icon_smile.gif
Only fondant ribbon is food safe.

That said, if you're gonna do fabric anyway put clear tape on the back of the ribbon.

indydebi Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 12:11am
post #5 of 10

If you let your BC crust really well, you will have zero problems. There is no (pardon the phrase, here) "wet spot" on the BC to get the ribbon "wet".

I had a cake that I needed to add a small bead border on the base of the ribbon and I had the fear that the newly applied BC would mar the ribbon. So taking the advice of many CC'ers, I ran crisco down the entire length of the ribbon before putting it on the cake. That way the whole ribbon was 'greased soaked' in a uniform manner. It worked great!!

frankandcathy Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 2:30am
post #6 of 10

You can do several things. You can iron waxed paper onto them to transfer the wax to the ribbon to keep the ribbon from getting greasy. You can also apply tape to the back of the ribbon (although this is not the best solution because tape isn't really supposed to go on edible things).

roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 2:39am
post #7 of 10

Ive tried ironing on waxed paper and I failed so I just rub the ribbon with oil.

Danacakes65 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 3:03am
post #8 of 10

I put double sided sticky tape on the back of the ribbon and then I put a strip of wax paper on the tape so that the waxpaperis what is touching the cake...

sweetcakes Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 2:32pm
post #9 of 10

i agree, just rub oil along the ribbon in the first place then there is no worry at all.

Malakin Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 3:17pm
post #10 of 10

I agree with Leah in that I do like cakes with all edible products, but I have one wedding cake coming up where the bride wants ribbon and nothing else. So, I agree with Indydebi in that I rub both sides of the ribbon with crisco/shortening. It does darken it slightly for me but not too much and it changes the whole ribbon, not just spots!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%