Make Cupcakes Dome!

Baking By Rocketgirl899 Updated 21 Jun 2017 , 1:30pm by Hbkgurlracer

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 56

After years of trying to get my cakes and cupcakes not to dome, I have perfected it. But now I want my cupcakes nice and tall. Any suggestions?

I bake at 350 using duncan hines. Foil cups with paper liner and fill it 2/3. Sometimes they come out with a nice dome, then fall flat after cooling.

Any tips?

55 replies
dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 56

I wish I knew, but I would like to know if someone has a tip. I'm sure it's probably addressed in the thread on cupcakes, but I just don't have time to read that many pages & I get a headache after reading so much on the computer.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 4:27am
post #3 of 56

I agree aboutthe cupcake thread.... I searched CC but haven't found it. If i figure something out I will let you know icon_smile.gif

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 4:41am
post #4 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketgirl899

After years of trying to get my cakes and cupcakes not to dome, I have perfected it. But now I want my cupcakes nice and tall. Any suggestions?

I bake at 350 using duncan hines. Foil cups with paper liner and fill it 2/3. Sometimes they come out with a nice dome, then fall flat after cooling.

Any tips?

If you want them to dome try adding more batter to the liner.

ccarroca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccarroca Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 4:46am
post #5 of 56

Rocket girl, I found that if I let them go just a minute longer they will hold their dome. The dome comes from steam and if you let it dry out a little bit there will be no extra steam inside to dissipate and thus let them fall. At least that's my experience.

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 1:34pm
post #6 of 56

I agree with all of the above... I just started doing cupcakes about a month and a half ago. I mean where I was concerned pretty much with their appearance! icon_lol.gificon_redface.gif I have never gotten a "pretty" cupcake fresh from the oven. If they rise above the liner, they kind of like platter out past the top instead of doming up. I've tried filling more or filling less and I've also gotten headaches from trying to catch myself up on the giant cuppie thread!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif Maybe Mel or fiddlesticks or meemaw will see this and chime in!! thumbs_up.gif

ccarroca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccarroca Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 5:05pm
post #7 of 56

I fill mine 3/4 and that just comes to the top of the paper and allows the dome. Check out wilton - they got new paper liners they call bridal shower, but they are the cutest pink with white dots - very girl birthday!

I have silicone liners and I must say people miss the paper - its like a ceremonial thing I think! LOL

Rocketgirl899 Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 7:28pm
post #8 of 56

Thanks! I am baking them for Thursday so i will report back icon_smile.gif

dandelion56602 Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 8:08pm
post #9 of 56

I have the same problem if I fill them a little more they just spread out around the liner, not up. Then I have a flat top that leaves a 1/4" ring around the cupcake & I have to trim it off.

4laynes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4laynes Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 6:44am
post #10 of 56

I read somewhere here that the secret to domed cupcakes is to overheat your oven to 400 degrees, then reduce to 350 when you put the cupcakes in. I'm going to give it a try tomorrow - I'm baking cupcakes for my preschool class party. I'll let you know what happens!

Bev

4laynes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4laynes Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 11:10pm
post #11 of 56

Hey Rocketgirl, it worked! I have nicely domed cupcakes! I preheated the oven to 400 but let a lot of the heat out shuffling the pans to make them fit. I shut the door (cupcakes in oven icon_surprised.gif ) and brought the heat back up to 400, then dropped it to 350. thumbs_up.gif

Just curious - how do you not get the dome? Lower temp?

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 5:37pm
post #12 of 56

Yes you are compeltly right. You preheat oven to 400 and then after you put cuppies in cut it down to 350. It works for me every time. Melvira is the one that figured that out so we have to give her the props. icon_lol.gif

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 6:42pm
post #13 of 56

OOOH I have to try that! My cupcakes ALWAYS fall icon_sad.gif

Rocketgirl899 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 11:24pm
post #14 of 56

Thanks! I bake tomorrow. I am going to try the WASC cake for the first time ... ahh!

4laynes:I just bake at a lower temp usually 325. takes longer, but i waste less when i level the cakes icon_smile.gif

andysprite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andysprite Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 11:29pm
post #15 of 56

Alton Brown did a muffin episode on "Good Eats" a couple nights ago. He talked about the 400 degree oven thing. And don't turn them upside down on a rack or else the tops could cave in or fall.

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 11:40pm
post #16 of 56

Also, refrigerate the batter before baking

Rocketgirl899 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 11:55pm
post #17 of 56

Oh I love Alton.. lol.

I would never dream of turning my cupcakes out like that!

Thank you.

dandelion56602 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 3:53am
post #18 of 56

Me either Rocketgirl. But I guess you have to say something like that b/c there is ALWAYS someone who would. I let them sit in the pan for 5 min then use an angled spatula or knife to get them out b/c they're still soft & you can smoosh them.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 11:51pm
post #19 of 56

Alright,

I did one pan 2/3 full and the other pan 3/4 full. Obviously the 3/4 rose more icon_smile.gif

Baked in ungreased paper liners.

Preheated oven to 400 then popped the cupcakes in. I think I should have let the oven come back to 400 (someone suggested this!) before dropping the temp but i got nervous... I also added 3 cakes ( 2 6in and one 5 inch) about 5 minutes after.. so I didn't have as much of the dome as i wanted.. but still am happy enough. They usually come out perfectly flat! Thanks for all the help!

WASC great taste, not wild about the texture. It seems like it would be too soft to hold my heavy BC (sugarshacks). Perhaps it is becuse I ahve been "ruined" by box and store bought cakes! Also seems like it would be WAY to hard to carve. Perhaps this is another posticon_smile.gif
LL

dandelion56602 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 1:13am
post #20 of 56

That's about the size dome I want! Subtle, but not volcano peaks. I love WASC. It does fine w/ Sugarshack's buttercream--that's what I use. As for carving, I always stick my cakes in the freezer (no matter scratch or box) for 30 min - 1 hr (depending on the size of the cake) before carving. You get fewer crumbs & not so much sticky on the knife---that's my only complaint about torting WASC, but everyone loves it!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 12:14pm
post #21 of 56

dandelion!

Thanksicon_smile.gif Good luck with your cupcakes endeavors (I really hate the things).

I have never put cakes in the freezer/ cooler. I worked at a place and they said you never had to but I always see "real" cake places putting everything in the cooler. I can imagine it makes crumb coating easier. icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the posts.

Rocket

Rocketgirl899 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 12:45am
post #22 of 56

UPDATE:!!!!! I baked at 400 and they domed even more.. as long as they don't fall when the cool I will post a photo!!

They took a long time, but look awesome! THANK YOU ALL!!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 3:01am
post #23 of 56

Yup, bumping it up to 400 between batches will really help with the dome. That burst if heat pushes it up and sets the sides so the batter has to burst out the top.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 3:35am
post #24 of 56

I agree the 400 oven to start works like a charm!

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 2:39am
post #25 of 56

I use Betty Crocker cake mix and bake according to the directions on the box. I fill the cups about 2/3 full. Here's what they look like:
LL
LL

DecoratedDreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecoratedDreams Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 6:56pm
post #26 of 56

@Mickeebabe

With the betty crocker - do they fall afterwards or do they stay nicely puffed like that?

Thanks,

Donna

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 7:24pm
post #27 of 56

If you heat the oven to 400 degrees and put the cupcakes in it for 7 minutes. Then I turn the oven to 350 and finish the baking. When I take a batch out I then turn the oven back to 400 and wait for it to signal that it has reached that temp before I put the next ones in. This has always worked for me.
evelyn

MelissaMay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaMay Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 4:59am
post #28 of 56

Thanks everyone, just read the whole thread...very helpful info!

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 5:12am
post #29 of 56

Can't wait to try this! Does the cooking time change? Thanks!

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 5:22am
post #30 of 56

I would have never thought of that. I love it!!! I am going to try this next time I do cuppies. Once again, I love this site!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%