How Long Is Mouse Good For?

Decorating By Pebbles1727 Updated 20 Sep 2008 , 1:45am by Pebbles1727

Pebbles1727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles1727 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 7:34pm
post #1 of 7

Last night I made some wonderful irish cream mouse as a filling for a cake but barely used only 1/3 of it. Does anyone know how long will it last in the fridge? I would like to put it on cupcakes in couple of days but was not sure if it still be good. The mouse is just heavy whipping cream, confectioners sugar, vanilla, and baileys.
Thanks in advance, P

6 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 7:52pm
post #2 of 7

kept cold, it would be considered 'safe' through the 'use by' date on the cream. generally a couple of days is a good guess.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 8:02pm
post #3 of 7

The only problem I've had with keeping mousse in the fridge for a couple of days is that it starts to separate and lose some of it's volume. Sometimes if you beat it again for a minute or two it will regain some of its original volume.

Pebbles1727 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 8:58pm
post #4 of 7

Now I'm a little confused. Best by date on carton is 10/25, and I've had an open container in the fridge before for over a week before I used it up, and it was still fine. So based on that, the mousse should be good for more than couple of days, isnt it? Or is there some weird reaction going on in there which makes it more perishable than straight heavy whipping cream? I figured I'd have to whip it back up again before use.
Thanks P

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 10:14pm
post #5 of 7

Better make a special dessert for the family (trifle?) before the cat finds that mouse in the frig! icon_smile.gif

Sorry I couldn't resist. Now don't get all paranoid about making any more posts - we ALL make typos.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 11:40pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebbles1727

Now I'm a little confused. Best by date on carton is 10/25, and I've had an open container in the fridge before for over a week before I used it up, and it was still fine. So based on that, the mousse should be good for more than couple of days, isnt it? Or is there some weird reaction going on in there which makes it more perishable than straight heavy whipping cream? I figured I'd have to whip it back up again before use.
Thanks P

Pebbles, it doesn't have anything to do with it being safe for a few days, the issue with heavy whipping cream that's been mixed with any kind of alcohol is that the alcohol will break down the whipped cream and it will begin to separate and lose volume the longer it sits. You may or may not be able to rewhip it to it's original volume, it depends on how much alcohol you used. Even when I just whip cream alone for a dessert for home it doesn't last very long in the fridge. It's best used up within a couple of days of whipping. Nothing to do with it becoming perishable.

Pebbles1727 Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 1:45am
post #7 of 7

Got you dkelly!

It's a good thing I don't have a cat then icon_redface.gif . I didn't even notice that! You would think this thread would be more popular: I guess people don't care why would I want to know how long a rodent lasts in a fridge icon_lol.gif .
Thanks you all, P

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%