Swiss Buttercream

Baking By DeniseFL Updated 19 Sep 2008 , 7:25pm by TJCanadian

DeniseFL Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 6:59pm
post #1 of 4

I have attemped to make swiss buttercream twice..
but I don't know what I've done wrong, the result was that it seemed I was eating PLAIN BUTTER(my recipe asks for 8 large egg whites, 1 3/4 suggar, 4 1/2 cups of butter icon_surprised.gif * 1 tablespoon lemon juice)... Could you please share your recipe and how should I make it?

3 replies
KrissieCakes Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 7:10pm
post #2 of 4

I haven't tried it yet, but I just pulled a recipe off of here yesterday for Swiss Meringue Buttercream. There are only two out there when you search for it and neither has that much butter! icon_smile.gif They have very detailed cooking instructions on each of the two recipes. I'm trying one of them tonight! Good luck to you!

absijails Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 4

Somewhere in this thread someone has posted a link with a recipe and photos...

Kudos to you for trying SMBC! I've not been brave enough yet. It just seems like an awful lot of eggs to experiment with...

TJCanadian Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 7:25pm
post #4 of 4

I've been brave and just to make the recipie easier, I use 6 egg whites, 1 1/2 cups white granulated sugar. whip together by hand over a double boiler until the sugar is disolved (only 3-4 min) then throw it in your mixer and whip to soft peaks. Then cut up 1lb (one big block) of unsalted butter. a little at a time, add it to the rest. It will completely break down into cottage cheese looking wierdness but keep going, it whips up into something beautiful. I find it works better not to add my flavor and color until it has come back to looking like buttercream. If it looks too liquidy I found out today that if you add a little meringue powder it will go to cottage cheese, then to smooth buttercream. Keep trying, its pretty good. Today I added clear vanilla and then maple flavor, to go with a spice sure smells good

Quote by @%username% on %date%