Swiss Buttercream

Baking By DeniseFL Updated 19 Sep 2008 , 7:25pm by TJCanadian

DeniseFL Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 6:59pm
post #1 of 4

I have attemped to make swiss buttercream twice..
but I don't know what I've done wrong, the result was that it seemed I was eating PLAIN BUTTER(my recipe asks for 8 large egg whites, 1 3/4 suggar, 4 1/2 cups of butter icon_surprised.gif * 1 tablespoon lemon juice)... Could you please share your recipe and how should I make it?

3 replies
KrissieCakes Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 7:10pm
post #2 of 4

I haven't tried it yet, but I just pulled a recipe off of here yesterday for Swiss Meringue Buttercream. There are only two out there when you search for it and neither has that much butter! icon_smile.gif They have very detailed cooking instructions on each of the two recipes. I'm trying one of them tonight! Good luck to you!

absijails Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 4

Somewhere in this thread someone has posted a link with a recipe and photos...

http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=595799&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=15

Kudos to you for trying SMBC! I've not been brave enough yet. It just seems like an awful lot of eggs to experiment with...

TJCanadian Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 7:25pm
post #4 of 4

I've been brave and just to make the recipie easier, I use 6 egg whites, 1 1/2 cups white granulated sugar. whip together by hand over a double boiler until the sugar is disolved (only 3-4 min) then throw it in your mixer and whip to soft peaks. Then cut up 1lb (one big block) of unsalted butter. a little at a time, add it to the rest. It will completely break down into cottage cheese looking wierdness but keep going, it whips up into something beautiful. I find it works better not to add my flavor and color until it has come back to looking like buttercream. If it looks too liquidy I found out today that if you add a little meringue powder it will go to cottage cheese, then to smooth buttercream. Keep trying, its pretty good. Today I added clear vanilla and then maple flavor, to go with a spice cake....it sure smells good

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%