Packaging Cookies So They Won't Break

Baking By ann925 Updated 21 Sep 2008 , 9:20pm by cylstrial

ann925 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 11

How can I package and ship cookies so they won't break. What do I put around them? What kind of box do I use? Help.

10 replies
shiney Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 6:29pm
post #2 of 11

have a look at "cookie experts needed" thread in this cookie forum section. You might find the answers you're looking for.
icon_smile.gif Shiney

ann925 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 6:42pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks. But I want to know more about the actual packaging of them. What kind of box do you put them in. What do you wrap them in. I just shipped some cookies. Each layer had tissue paper and bubble wrap on them and then I put bubble wrap on the sides. Quite a few of them broke. What can I do differently. Does anyone have any pictures of how you packaged them?

rezzygirl Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 9:13pm
post #4 of 11

I did a tutorial for packaging and shipping cookie bouquets that may help:
http://cakecentral.com/article93-How-to-Package--Ship-Cookie-Bouquets.html
(can also be found on CC home page under Newest Cake Decorating Articles). HTH

MichelleM77 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 9:36pm
post #5 of 11

I made a pocket out of bubble wrap by folding and taping around each individual cookie. Then I padded the inside of the shipping box with bubble wrap, put down a layer of cookies, then a layer of bubble wrap, then a layer of cookies, and so on. The cookies were each individually wrapped in a cello bag. I was told they made it completely fine to their destination. icon_smile.gif

shiney Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 9:55pm
post #6 of 11

This is of no assistance to anyone at all, just funny timing. As I was reading this thread, my best friend called me, last week she was asking for some of my rejects, was just hungry for my cookies. So I threw some bubble wrap around a few cookies that were in cello bag, stuck them in the envelope I was sending her with a couple of newspaper articles, and knew they wouldn't make it completley intact. She just called me to say they were perfectly fine! So you never know.
Seriously, I think if you layer it with bubble wrap, and make sure it doesn't jiggle around in the thick stable box, you're good to go.
Just my two cents...which is about what it's worth icon_wink.gif
Shiney

yankeegal Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 2:16pm
post #7 of 11

I used to ship in tins but they have become so pricey that I am just using boxes now. I have used plain brown boxes (found at Walmart) lately and they have worked fine. I layer bubble wrap in the box, put down a layer of cookies (bagged) put another layer of bubble and then a piece of cardboard cut the same dimension of the box to help stablize the cookies. I repeat as neccesary. I then put that box in a box a little larger surrounded by styrofoam peanuts so it doesn't move around. I have had success shipping this method. I personally don't ship bouquets-I don't even like to deliver them!
There are some cookies-long, skinny ones-that may break no matter what you do.

Joanne914 Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 3:04pm
post #8 of 11

I just had my first two successful "mailed" cookies! I was VERY excited. They were both going to my daughters, so there was nothing fancy about the packaging. I rummaged around the house and for one, I used a shoe box, and the other was a plain brown box that something else had come in. Just like Yankeegal...I layered bubble wrap, layer of individually bagged cookies, and just kept going. Any extra space at top was filled again with bubble wrap.
Just to be safe..I wrapped the box in one layer of bubble wrap, and placed that inside a larger box with packing peanuts all around the box. Not one broke!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Jodie...what section in Walmart did you find the brown boxes that you're now using? After my success, I've decided to use boxes only. I will def. check out Walmart.

MichelleM77 Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 5:07pm
post #9 of 11

I found plain brown shipping boxes at WalMart in their office supply section where they have rolls of bubblewrap, boxes, labels, and other shipping supplies.

yankeegal Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 11:26pm
post #10 of 11

Joanne,
Exactly where Michelle said-office supply section. I am also looking at the boxes at www.uline.com. If you need to buy a larger quantity and need a specific size, I recommend them and their prices are very reasonable. I used their boxes for my large order I did in May.

cylstrial Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 9:20pm
post #11 of 11

I really liked the tutortial! It was very helpful!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%