I Thought Dipping Would Be Easy....

Decorating By mellormom Updated 24 Sep 2008 , 4:40pm by mellormom

mellormom Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 17

It turns out I have a lot to learn! LOL My first problem is the excess that spreads out after you put the cake ball on the wax paper. My second problem was I couldn't get my white chocolate to melt enough. It never got to the runny consistency. I've been using bakers chocolate is that one of my problems?
Any dipping advice would be greatly appreciated!
Jen...

16 replies
KHalstead Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 17

okay, I've experienced thesee same problems and here's how I've fixed them
1. when I dip my cake balls, I stick a toothpick in them (while they're frozen) then dip in the chocolate, shake off the excess and then (here's the important part) I put a wire cooling rack on my counter, elevated between two containers of shortening or coffee cans or whatever you've got, I turn the cake ball over put the end of the toothpick through the wire rack and grab it from underneath with my other hand, twisting the toothpick as I pull it out, then there is no puddle and the cake balls just have usually two little lines on the bottom that nobody will ever notice unless they specifically look at the bottom.

2. add one tsp. of shortening to every 8oz. or so of chocolate it will help it get a thinner consistency and adds a beautiful shine but allows it to still harden up, I use the wwhite almond bark stuff all the time!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1171223
LL

TheCakerator Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 6:39pm
post #3 of 17

all your little treats look so good .. I tried making cake balls once, but I am pretty certain they ended up not edible .. I don't know what I did, but sure would love to try again some time before the holidays. ...

smbegg Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 6:39pm
post #4 of 17

Ok, so I just did a hundred or so cake balls yesterday. Here is what works for me.

First off I freeze the truffles. I use chocolate chips w/veg shortening for chocolate and white almond bark for the white. I melt it in the microwave in a glass bowl. Then I place it on a low temp burner for the duration of my dipping to get it fluid. Part of the excess of pooling chocolate comes from too thick coating.

So I bring out the balls in small batches 20 or so. I stick a toothpick in the top and dip in the chocolate, rolling the ball along the side of the bowl to help get rid of excess. I then place on wax paper. **the frozen ball helps the coating to dry quickly to avoid excess pooling. When I have the batch done, I stick it back in the freezer. Then dip another batch.

When I transfer that batch in, I pull out the previous one and quickly pull out the tooth picks. The I put a swirl of chocolate on the tops to make it pretty and to cover the hole. The process works great!

HTH

Stephanie

diana83 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 6:43pm
post #5 of 17

is there any chance anyone could post pics about this one i always get that same puddle too... but i will provably need to see pics... icon_confused.gif

Cookies4kids Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 12:59am
post #6 of 17

I melt my dipping chocolate using 1/2 Merckens and 1/2 good semi sweet chocolate chips. I add 1 square of unsweetened choc. to the mix and a little parrafin wax. I found one of those wonderful old candy double boilers at a garage sale and I swear by it. Keeping the chocolate fairly hot works the best for me because as it cools down it gets harder to get a nice finish. I let the cake balls thaw partially but not all the way.
Someone on CC posted by favorite tip of all for a dipping tool. Take a plastic fork and break out the two center teeth. Dip your cake ball and tap it on the side of the pan letting the bulk of the chocolate drip off. Let it roll off on the paper and there is never (well almost never) a puddle.
It takes a little practice to get the chocolate the right temperature.

mellormom Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 1:10am
post #7 of 17

Thanks a lot! This will really help! And to think I went and bought that expensive dipping tool when I could have used a toothpick or a fork! icon_cry.gif LOL Guess I should have posted this before I bought the supplies. LOL
Jen...

sherik Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 1:36am
post #8 of 17

The only sure way I have found to get ZERO foot print is to cover a piece of styrofoam with plastic wrap or foil and after dipping poke the toothpick into the foam and let it set up for a minute or two while you dip several more pieces. Then go back and remove the toothpick carefully and place the piece on waxed paper with the hole side down. I use a second toothpick
to help remove the first so I don't mess up the visible area.

mellormom Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 4:25pm
post #9 of 17

that is a great idea too! Thanks!
Jen...

cakemommync Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 9:21pm
post #10 of 17

I will have to try out that toothpick idea! Duh...I didn't figure that out before! I just made a bunch in my bon bon mold - painted the mold, shove in the cake ball then cover the top with choc. really pretty and consistent but definately not as fast as dipping!

sherik Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 12:10am
post #11 of 17

These were just taken out of the freezer for this photo, that is why there is condensation on then. The Oreo ball on the right has a toothpick thorn sticking out from the second toothpick I used to remove the 1st one.
LL
LL
LL

sherik Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 12:19am
post #12 of 17

Sorry about that icon_redface.gif , now I don't know how to remove the other two icon_cry.gif

mclaren Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 2:46am
post #13 of 17

for the question on white chocolate not melting, try adding a bit of cocoa butter to it while melting it, it worked for me whenever i was unfortunate enough to get my hands on certain brands of WC that would never melt.

seagoat Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 2:55am
post #14 of 17

When I used to make truffles, I used the top end of a metal skewer for dipping. It's usually a square or octagon shape...worked great for me.

Kitagrl Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 2:57am
post #15 of 17

My only problem with cakeballs is that the centers always seem mushy (I am really picky about anything that even remotely tastes like soggy bread or soggy cake!).

Also, seems like the frozen cakeballs, once dipped, make my chocolate crack once they thaw and expand a bit. But nobody here seems to have that problem...?

HipnotiqGlamour Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 3:14am
post #16 of 17

Are you able to use chocolate discs, the ones you use for chocolate molds to cover the cake balls?

mellormom Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 4:40pm
post #17 of 17

I think if you don't want them to be mushy you don't put as much frosting in them. Some people put very little frosting in them.
Jen...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%