Healthy Hands...?

Decorating By whisperingmadcow Updated 19 Sep 2008 , 6:35pm by KHalstead

whisperingmadcow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whisperingmadcow Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 6:04pm
post #1 of 2

I am a baker by profession, and I took the wilton classes at my local craft store to have a new skill to put on my resume. Well, I completely fell in love with cake decorating.

On a good day, I can spend a whole day working on a cake from making all of it, frosting, filling, flowers to putting it together. But I find that when I do this, I am getting a cramp in my hand (along the life line and the meaty part under the thumb) This pain can last a couple days too. Is this normal for someone who is starting out? Am I just developing mussels there?

I have to use my hands for work but if it comes between doing my job and having fun, I have to think of my job first.

Boohoo if I can't decorate cakes...

1 reply
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 2

I get that from time to time.......first make sure your icing isn't TOO stiff, that will help a lot....also I think after a while you build up strength in your hands and don't experiece this quite as often as when you first start out..oh and also make sure you're not filling your piping bags too full that will definitely make your hand hurt!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%