Styrofoam Cake Dummy

Decorating By Jannie92869 Updated 21 Sep 2008 , 10:57pm by cakemommync

Jannie92869 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 10

I am doing my first styrofoam cake dummy on next week. I plan to use Indydebi's crisco based buttercream icing. (I did indeed PM her, but would also like to place it here) I will wrap the dummy in plastic wrap to preserve it for later uses then apply the buttercream and decorations as usual.

I am wondering how far in advance can I prepare the dummy? Would you recommend a different type of buttercream for a dummy that will be at an outside function (6 hours)? I also ask that because I have heard that hers is so delicious...do I want to waste that on a dummy or should I just use some wilton class buttercream?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

9 replies
kakeladi Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 6:24pm
post #2 of 10

I have made 100s of dummies using just the Wilton class b'cream. It holds up well for a yearicon_smile.gif
Do not wrap w/plastic. Unless you can get it *very tight* it will loosen & cause winkles etc icon_sad.gif
You can wash off the b'cream with a hose after scraping what off what you can.

CoutureCakeCreations Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 10

I dont reccomend buttercream for cakes that will be outside. I really dont think that you will be able to ice a dummy that is covered in saran wrap. i would suggest fondant.

Lil_Belle Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 7:08pm
post #4 of 10

You don't really need to cover it. That's what I thought but when I frosted it, everything was fine. I just used my basic butter cream recipe (wilton) they kept it outside for like 5-6 hours outside in the shade and it was fine. (the bottom 3 tiers are dummies)
LL

cakemommync Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 4:36am
post #5 of 10

Will the fondant stick to the styrofoam without any other frosting. I'm doing one for the fair and its going to be sitting there for a week!

EnjoyTheCake Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 3:18pm
post #6 of 10

Why not use Royal Icing for the dummy? It behaves very similar to BC and won't melt. It will last for months.

For fondant, just use a little bit of piping gel or water to "glue" the fondant on.

For any method you use, icing is sugar based, it will desolve in water. Styrofoam will not be destroyed by water. You don't have to use any cardboard so just clean it off with water when you're done. Just make sure you let it dry VERY VERY well before decorating again that way there is no chance of water getting trapped in the styrofoam.

mellormom Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 4:39pm
post #7 of 10

water is better to use than piping gel for fondant. The fondant sticks to much to the piping gel and it is hard to get it where you want it. (at least that is what happened to me. icon_smile.gif )
Jen...

indydebi Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 11:21pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoutureCakeCreations

I dont reccomend buttercream for cakes that will be outside. I really dont think that you will be able to ice a dummy that is covered in saran wrap. i would suggest fondant.

When putting my icing on styrofoam, it turns hard as concrete (omit the dream whip and vanilla just for cost savings ... you're not eating it anyway) so there is absolutely no melting on a dummy.

I never have melting on a regular cake either with my icing. Never.

Dont' use saran wrap. The BC can be removed easily when you're ready to change the design.

sugarcheryl Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 4:23am
post #9 of 10

I spray my cake dummies with water and then cover in fondant and the fondant sticks and I have no problem. When I'm tired of that design just peel off the fondant and start over again.

cakemommync Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 10:57pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks so much for the help! Can't wait for them to get here so I can get started. MY head is about to explode with ideas!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%