Jam As Filling

Decorating By Reganlynn Updated 19 Sep 2008 , 9:43pm by MichelleM77

Reganlynn Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 7

Hello! For the first time I have had someone ask me for raspberry jam as a cake filling. I have never done this before. What is the best way to go, can I buy store bought jam or is that really gross?

Thanks!!

6 replies
terri-jo Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:28pm
post #2 of 7

I often use raspberry jam in my cakes. I don't use nearly as much as I would a regular buttercream though. I spread it (like you would on bread) and then often use some buttercream as well. I get it at the grocery store, but I always get the seedless kind. hth,
Teresa

Beckalita Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:28pm
post #3 of 7

I use it all the time.....Polaner All-Fruit is my favorite, but you can use any seedless jam. Just be sure to use a stiff icing dam when stacking so you don't get the jam seeping out and ruining the look of your cake.

allycook Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:34pm
post #4 of 7

How long is it to safely use on fondant, nonrefrigerated cakes?

Reganlynn Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:57pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you so much! This really helps.

terrylee Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 3:16pm
post #6 of 7

I use jam sometime too...but be careful that it isn't too runny....it will sometimes seep.....The local cake shop has a raspberry fill that is real good...thick enough to stay put and quite tasty. I have even added whipped cream to it and made the raspberry whipped....light and fluffy....

And most fillings are quite safe in a decorated cake. I have had them last a few days, though I don't recommend decorating a few days in advance of the celebration.....but after the initial cutting it seem to last OK....if in doubt, refrigerate the left overs.

MichelleM77 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 9:43pm
post #7 of 7

Jam is stable out of the fridge. In fact, according to Smucker's, it doesn't need to be refrigerated at all, but it helps it to last longer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%