Jam As Filling

Decorating By Reganlynn Updated 19 Sep 2008 , 9:43pm by MichelleM77

Reganlynn  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reganlynn Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 7

Hello! For the first time I have had someone ask me for raspberry jam as a cake filling. I have never done this before. What is the best way to go, can I buy store bought jam or is that really gross?

Thanks!!

6 replies
 terri-jo  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terri-jo Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:28pm
post #2 of 7

I often use raspberry jam in my cakes. I don't use nearly as much as I would a regular buttercream though. I spread it (like you would on bread) and then often use some buttercream as well. I get it at the grocery store, but I always get the seedless kind. hth,
Teresa

Beckalita  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:28pm
post #3 of 7

I use it all the time.....Polaner All-Fruit is my favorite, but you can use any seedless jam. Just be sure to use a stiff icing dam when stacking so you don't get the jam seeping out and ruining the look of your cake.

allycook  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allycook Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:34pm
post #4 of 7

How long is it to safely use on fondant, nonrefrigerated cakes?

Reganlynn  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reganlynn Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:57pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you so much! This really helps.

terrylee  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 3:16pm
post #6 of 7

I use jam sometime too...but be careful that it isn't too runny....it will sometimes seep.....The local cake shop has a raspberry fill that is real good...thick enough to stay put and quite tasty. I have even added whipped cream to it and made the raspberry whipped....light and fluffy....

And most fillings are quite safe in a decorated cake. I have had them last a few days, though I don't recommend decorating a few days in advance of the celebration.....but after the initial cutting it seem to last OK....if in doubt, refrigerate the left overs.

MichelleM77  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 9:43pm
post #7 of 7

Jam is stable out of the fridge. In fact, according to Smucker's, it doesn't need to be refrigerated at all, but it helps it to last longer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%