Need Help Making Tombstones

Decorating By charleezgal Updated 24 Sep 2008 , 8:03pm by 2girliesmama

charleezgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charleezgal Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 14

Hello,

I need to make a cake with several little tombstones on the second tier. Probably an 8" square. The cake will be iced all in bc. What should I make the tombstones out of, and how do you make them stand up on the cake and not fall over?

You all are so smart! I appreciate all the help I get here at CC! icon_smile.gif

13 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:10pm
post #2 of 14

I made them out of gumpaste rolled out to about 1/4" thick and then cut with a template that I made out of cardstock. I let them dry and then I "washed them" with black royal icing and vodka to give them a marbled, dirty look. Then I piped on the messages with black royal icing.

I put them up against a fondant-covered cake and just used a dab of royal icing on the back to make them stick. You will just use buttercream since you're sticking them to a buttercream-covered cake.

It was pretty easy. You'll have no problems.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 14

Wilton released a new chocolate mold this year which is 4 tombstones..That might be an idea!!! Here is a pic!!
LL

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:21pm
post #4 of 14

I have used Vienna Fingers cookies, iced in grey buttercream and pushed them halfway into the cake. They held up fine and looked very authentic!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:47pm
post #5 of 14

I've done the same as Beckalita using Mint Milanos, and once with NFSC that I baked. Depends on the look you are going for.

kohner34 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kohner34 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 8:12pm
post #6 of 14

I used Oreos, then cut the sides straight with a knife, and then covered in fondant. But you could just cover the Oreos with buttercream too.

charleezgal Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 8:31pm
post #7 of 14

What shape are the Mint Milanos? She wants the tombstones to stand straight up, not lay down, or against the cake. I was worried that if I just shove whatever into the cake, it will lean one way or another. I don't want them to fall out.

Love the ideas for using the cookies. She wants it to look like a real headstone.....

So, if I use one of the types of cookies mentioned here, cover it in bc, can you still write on it?

I could do as the first poster said and make it out of fondant, but it would taste a lot better if you could eat a cookie instead of a piece of fondant.
I've never used royal icing before. To write with it, do you just make a recipe of it and put it in a deco bag with a number 2 or something? Do you need to thin it out more to write with?

Thanks for your help everyone. It's so nice to have a support team at your fingertips!

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 8:52pm
post #8 of 14

I've seen it done with the Vienna Fingers, they are the perfect shape and long enough the sticking half into cake doesn't loose its effect. If not cookies or fondant how about chocolate transfers?

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 8:59pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Wilton released a new chocolate mold this year which is 4 tombstones..That might be an idea!!! Here is a pic!!

I haven't seen that one but I got this one at Walmart:

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=93496A1B-423B-522D-FB3064D0F05F04A3&fid=97A235B7-423B-522D-F717DAD76DC0CAF3

It only has three designs but there are three different bases that you can stick them in to vary the look of them and they'll stand on their own. The only problem is that if you wanted to place them flat against the cake without the base you'd have to cut the tab off the bottom.

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 9:23pm
post #10 of 14

I've made them out of marzipan before. I just cut them out by hand, let them dry overnight, and placed them on my cake. Here's a link to the picture if you'd like to see it. One of them is standing up by itself on top. Hope this helps.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1080803

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 10:41pm
post #11 of 14

Here's a photo of a cake I did using the Vienna Fingers iced in buttercream. As you can see, it is easy to go back and write on the tombstones with black buttercream.....
LL

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 3:41am
post #12 of 14

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/Francesca47/cookies_top_milano.jpg
Here's a good picture. They make the rounded-top tombstones. There is a mini-sized one also.

charleezgal Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 11:29pm
post #13 of 14

I just want to say thanks to everyone who gave me ideas on the tombstones. They are all great ideas and now I'm ready to tackle this cake order.

icon_biggrin.gif

2girliesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2girliesmama Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 8:03pm
post #14 of 14

I have used the small (fun size I think...) butterfinger bars or a large butterfinger cut to size. You can cover them with MMF tinted gray etc. I usually just stick them into the cake a little, but you can skewer them as well. I also buy the eye shadow applicators from the drug store and dab them with a little brown green and buttercup yellow gel coloring and just kind of sponge paint the tomb stones to make them look old and mossy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%