Another Time Frame Question, Sorry

Decorating By pumpkinroses Updated 19 Sep 2008 , 9:57pm by kakeladi

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 10:17am
post #1 of 5

I am making a cake for a Retirement Party at work for Wednesday October 1st. It's going to be the 3-D deer head cake (the one with the antlers and looks like it's mounted). How far in advance can I carve and ice the cake? If I did it on Sunday would that be too soon?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Nikki

4 replies
pumpkinroses Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:35pm
post #2 of 5

Anybody? I ask because I usually do my cakes with Fondant and this will be BC.

marccrand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marccrand Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 5

Wow, that sounds like a fun project.

I don't have a great answer for you, but here's my 2 cents and a bump so someone with more experience might see it and help more.

Since you obviously have a day job (like me) I know it's hard to find enough time on the weekdays to get a lot done. And considering it's such an intricate design, I certainly understand that you want to get started sooner rather than later. So this is what I would do...

Saturday - get all the fondant or gumpaste pieces made, wrap your board and anything else you can do.
Sunday - bake and ice the layers (not the outside since that will get carved off) wrap well and freeze.
Monday - carve the frozen cake, let thaw and ice the outside.
Tuesday - assemble all the pieces and decorate.

Can't wait to see it - Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

pumpkinroses Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 9:41pm
post #4 of 5

thanks for your help. I already have the antlers started. Just need to do the RI on them. I might do that this weekend. I was thinking of baking at least one of the cakes this weekend also, to help with the baking part of it. Just didn't know how much I could do in advance.

The main reason for the time crunch is I also have a 4yr old and a 6yr old. (they get upset some nights when I have to do a cake).

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 9:57pm
post #5 of 5

If you have fzr space certainly do the baking as soon as you can.
I see nothing wrong w/completing this cake on Sun for use on Wed.
Many people make their wed cakes on Wed for Saticon_smile.gif
Find a safe, cool place to store this awesome creationicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%